Andrew Barclay Sons & Co.
Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. was a builder of steam and diesel locomotives, based in Kilmarnock, Scotland, founded in 1840.
It was only a couple of years later that he branched out on his own in the manufacture of his patented gas lamps In 1847 he set up workshops specializing in the manufacture of winding engines for the local coal mining industry, however the money from the gas lamp patent sale was never paid and the company and sequestration came the following year.
By 1859 Barclay recovered from this set back and his newly formed company produced its first locomotive. Sometime around 1871 Andrew Barclay set up a second locomotive building business which was known as Barclays & Co., for his younger brother, John, and his four sons, this business remaining closely associated with that of Andrew Barclay. Again not all went well and the companies were declared bankrupt in 1874 and 1882 respectively. Four years after this last collapse Andrew Barclay’s business was relaunched as Andrew Barclay Sons & Co., Barclays & Co was being revived. Problems were not over, however, but in 1892 the firm took on limited liability as Andrew Barclay Sons & Co., Ltd. Just two years later Andrew was removed from control of the company which bore his name by its shareholders.
Brereton Colliery loco No.3 0-4-0ST A Barclay 1365/1914
The company was noted for constructing simple robust locomotives, chiefly for industrial use, and many of its products survive in use on heritage railways. A typical product would be an 0-4-0 with squared-off saddle tank.