Industrial Steam Loco Manufacturers
The first steam locomotives built were for industrial use and the early main-line locomotives were similar to industrial designs. Eventually slow speed shunting engines, having a short wheelbase and light axle loading, were developed for use in quarries, mines, ironworks, docks and elsewhere for the movement of goods, either internally in the works or to and from the main line.
The following is a list of manufacturers and each of them will have a ‘post’ with further details.
- AB Andrew Barclay Sons & Co. Ltd., Kilmarnock.
- AE Avonside Engine Co. Ltd., Bristol.
- AP Aveling Porter Ltd., Rochester.
- BH Black Hawthorn & Co. Ltd., Gateshead.
- BP Beyer Peacock & Co. Ltd., Manchester.
- D Dubs & Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
- EB E. Borrows & Sons, St. Helens.
- FW Fox Walker & Co., Bristol.
- GH Gibb & Hogg Ltd., Airdrie.
- GR Grant Ritchie & Co., Kilmarnock.
- HC Hudswell Clarke & Co. Ltd., Leeds.
- HE Hunslet Engine Co. Ltd., Leeds.
- SS Sharp Stewart
- HF Haydock Foundry – Richard Evans
- H(L) Hawthorns, Leith.
- HL R & W Hawthorn Leslie & Co. Ltd., Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- K Kitson & Co. Ltd., Leeds.
- KS Kerr Stuart & Co. Ltd., Stoke-on-Trent.
- Mkm Markham & Co. Ltd., Chesterfield.
- MW Manning Wardle & Co. Ltd., Leeds.
- N Neilson & Co., Glasgow.
- NBL North British Locomotive Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
- NR Neilson Reid & Co., Glasgow.
- NW Nasmyth Wilson & Co., Manchester.
- P Peckett & Sons Ltd., Bristol.
- RS Robert Stephenson & Co., Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- RSH Robert Stephenson & Hawthorns Ltd., Darlington & Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
- S Sentinel Ltd., Shrewsbury.
- SL Stephen Lewin, Poole.
- VF Vulcan Foundry Ltd., Newton-le-Willows.
- WB W.G.Bagnall Ltd., Stafford.
- YE Yorkshire Engine Co. Ltd., Sheffield.
- Austerity Locomotives.
- Fireless Locomotives.
Hi You do not mention Hughes or Falcon on your list if industrial loco builders. After all they were one of the leaders at the time
Hi Alan, my list of loco manufacturers started as a list of locomotives used in the Cannock Chase Area. It has been added to and I am always open to suggestions for further additions. Thank you for your suggestions, there should be more manufacturers added in the not too distant future, John.
John Smith of Coven had a few of their locos on Chase lines.