Cannock Chase Colliery Co. Locomotives.
The Cannock Chase Colliery Co. bought 5 engines from the Beyer Peacock Company between 1856 and 1872. These were all saddle tanks with an 0-4-2 wheel arrangement favoured by the CCCC.
The first loco was named ‘McClean’ after the founder of the company and was number 28 of 1856, acquired new. Worked at the Coppice Colliery in 1949 and finally scrapped by the NCB at Chasetown in 1956 – 100 years old.
Next came the original ‘Alfred Paget’ another 0-4-2ST No.204/1861, acquired new, scrapped by NCB at Chasetown circa 1952. ‘Paget’ was the family name of the Marquis of Anglesey, one of the major land-owners in the district, and Chasewater Railway has kept the name – now on a Neilson engine.
‘Chawner’ was next on the list, 0-4-2ST No.462/1864. Acquired new, scrapped by NCB at Chasetown in 1949. Chawner was the name of McClean’s partner in the company.
‘Brown’ came next, 0-4-2ST No.794/1867, acquired new. Substantially dismantled in 1926 and some parts utilised to maintain the existing fleet. The rest was scrapped. John Nurthall Brown was Manager and Chief Engineer of the company around the late 1860s. No-one seems to have a picture of this loco.
The final Beyer Peacock was ‘Anglesey’ 0-4-2ST No.1211/1872. Acquired new, scrapped by NCB at Chasetown in 1951. Named ‘Anglesey’ after the Marquis.
No.6 0-6-0ST was a Sharp Stewart loco 2643-1876 acquired new, scrapped by NCB at Chasetown in 1952. No.6 worked with a four wheeled wagon as a tender and was used on the longer haul duties such as to Nos. 9 and 10 pits.
‘Griffin’ an 0-6-0ST Kitson 5036-1913, acquired new, transferred to Walsall Wood Colliery by NCB 1953 – still there in 1957 – since scrapped.
‘Foggo’ was an unusual engine, 0-4-2ST being built at Chasetown in 1946 from spare parts supplied by Beyer Peacock and other spares accumulated over the years from other locos. The name came from the General Manager at the time – M.J.Foggo.
75070 An 0-6-0ST Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn loco 7106-1943. A standard War Department ‘Austerity’ (LNER Class J94) acquired from the War Dept. in December 1946. Still at Chasetown 1957 – from Cannock Central Workshops 19-4-1963 to Littleton Colliery as their No.8 – scrapped on site, 1968.