Steam Locomotives of a more Leisurely Era
1856 – 0-4-0WTs – Great North of Scotland Railway
Two engines built in 1856 by Beyer Peacock & Co. for working the Aberdeen Harbour branch, originally the southern end of the GNoSR, with a terminus on the quay at Waterloo.
They were Nos. 13 & 14 in the locomotive list and were destined to enjoy long lives. They were re-boilered in 1887 and later used for shunting at Keith and Elgin. In 1890 they were renumbered 13A and 14A, and lasted on the GNoSR until 1916 when they were sold to the Government for war service, No.14 going to Chilwell Ordnance Depot, Notts. After the war this engine gravitated still further from its original haunts and finished up at Tarini Colliery in South Wales, where it lasted until 1943.
No.14A in its later days, but the actual date and location of the photograph is not known.