- Canal News
- Chasewater Diesel Locos
- Chasewater Railway
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces
- Chasewater Steam Locos
- Classic Streamliners
- Foreign Lines
- Industrial Steam Loco Manufacturers
- Miniature Railways
- Miscellaneous Railways
- Model Railways
- Museum Collection
- Narrow Gauge
- Railway Companies
- Railway Miscellany
- Some Early Lines
- Steam Locomotive Classes of a Leisurely Era
- Steam Preservation in the 1990s
- Visitors – Past & Present
September 2021 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Tag Archives: Steam Trains
Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Local train from Crewe approaching Market Drayton Junction, Wellington View NW, towards Market Drayton, Nantwich and Crewe: ex-GW Wellington – Nantwich ( – Crewe) line, which was important especially for freight but was closed 9/9/63 for passenger traffic, 11/5/67 completely. Here the 13.02 from Crewe is headed by the engine which when withdrawn from service in 11/66 had the distinction of being the very last GW (standard gauge) locomotive to run on BR: ‘8750’ c
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic Ben Brooksbank
Wellington & Drayton Railway
Incorporated on 7 August 1862, this line linked the GWR at Wellington with the Nantwich & Market Drayton Railway (LMS). It opened on 16 October 1867, and though an Act of 14 July 1864 had authorised transfer of the Company to the GWR on completion, full amalgamation was not ratified until an Act of 12 July 1869, after an agreement dated 16 December 1868. Traffic was never heavy along the line’s 16.25 miles, its passenger service ceasing on 9 December 1963, but it became a diversionary route during the West Coast Main Line electrification. It closed completely on 8 May 1967.
Only the first mile or so lies within Telford, and that is now the northern end of the Silkin Way footpath which begins at Coalport Station and follows old railway lines for much of its distance.
Its junction with the Shrewbury – Wellington line was opposite Orleton Park School, the Shrewsbury line approaching from the right of the picture and the Market Drayton line being the footpath to the left. It passed under Admaston Road and Shawburch road at Admaston, although there was no station: presumably the station on the Shrewsbury line was thought sufficient. It crossed the end of Bratton Road near The Gate pub, where the bastions of a bridge and the remains of an embankment can be seen, and its first station was opposite the site of the creamery in Crudgington.
‘Fight to re-open Railway’ – From the ‘Brownhills Gazette, December 1989 – via Brownhills Bob, David Evans and Brian Stringer
Fight to re-open Railway
From the ‘Brownhills Gazette, December 1989
via Brownhills Bob, David Evans and Brian Stringer
This was taken from Brownhills Bob’s latest post (28-10-2014) and is of particular interest to railway followers in the Lichfield, Walsall, Brownhills area.
On a personal level – when I first started school (a few weeks ago now!), I used to travel from Brownhills to Lichfield by train (steam, obviously), and later, when I started work, I travelled in the other direction, from Brownhills to Walsall (steam or diesel) – hence my interest in the line. John (CWS).
Next year (2015) will be the fiftieth anniversary of the closure of the line!
Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Van Railway, Wales
Built under a Board of Trade Certificate of 3 June 1870, this 6.5 mile line linked lead mines with the main Cambrian Railway line at Caersws, opening for goods on 14 August 1871, and to passengers on 1 December 1873. The mines closed in the early
1890s, and the railway also, in 1893, but the Cambrian Railway undertook to work it, for the use of the weed-free stone spoil, crushed as ballast. It re-opened 1 August 1896, along with mines, which remained in business until 1920, the line retaining independence until Grouping. Final closure came on 2 November 1940 – a short-lived passenger service had expired in July 1879.
The line ran westwards from Caersws along the Cerist and Trannon river valleys, with halts near Penisafmanledd and Y Fan. An underground railway portal has been restored at the mine site. The route can still be traced through the rural landscape today, where original embankments, cuttings and track bed still remain.
The former track bed.
Van Railway Track bed, near to Y Fan, Powys, Great Britain. The track bed can be seen alongside the fence. The railway ran from Van to Caersws, its main purpose being to service the lead mine near here. The mine closed in the 1920’s and presumably so did the railway.
OLU – From this image at geograph.org.uk; transferred by User:RHaworth using geograph_org2commons. License details
Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0
Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Stratford & Moreton Railway – Stratford-upon-Avon Railway
Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Stratford & Moreton Railway
Tramway bridge over the River Avon at Stratford-upon-Avon
Photograph of the bridge over the River Avon in Stratford-on-Avon opposite the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.
CC-LAYOUT; CC-BY-SA-2.5,2.0,1.0; Released under the GNU Free Documentation License. Snowmanradio at en.wikipedia
This horse-drawn tramway (16 miles), authorised on 28 May 1821, linked Moreton-in-Marsh with the Stratford Canal and was laid to what appears to be one of the earliest uses of ‘standard’ gauge. It opened on 5 September 1826, and a branch to Shipton-on-Stour was authorised on 10 June 1833, opening on 11 February 1836. The Act incorporating the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway included a clause for permanent lease at £2,537-10s per annum, and it took possession on 1 May 1847, from 1 January 1852 assuming entire management. It upgraded the line, re-opening it on 1 August 1853, but the northern end became redundant when the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway’s Stratford-Honeybourne line opened on 12 July 1859, and was probably little used after the turn of the century. Lifted during the Great War, it was officially abandoned in 1928. The Shipston section, thanks to public opposition to the West Midland Railway which wanted to close it, was retained, horse-drawn until 1882. The GWR obtained powers to upgrade it and use steam on 7 August 1884 – the original Act forbade this. Re-opened on 1 July 1889, passenger traffic was withdrawn on 8 July 1929, though a goods service lasted until 3 May 1960. The line was lifted in July of the following year.
Incorporated on 10 August 1857, this mixed gauge line, nine miles long, ran from Hatton (GWR) to Stratford. Built by the GWR, it opened on 10 October 1860. The Alcester Railway was vested in it, jointly with the GWR, on 22 July 1878, and the Company was itself absorbed by the Major one from 1 July 1883 (Act of 29 August).
Later: Ex-GWR 2-8-0 No 3515 proceeds past Hatton West signal box with a fitted freight train for Stratford on Avon in 1950. Built by Swindon works to Lot 328 in March 1940 No 3515 remained in service until July 1965 when it was withdrawn from 6C Birkenhead shed. The single line to Stratford on Avon started at this junction until the line was doubled in 1939. The bracket signal on the left is controlling, from left to right, the 55 wagon loop siding opened in 1901, the north junction line opened on 23rd July 1897 and the original branch line to Hatton opened in 1860. The gradient from Stratford on Avon was more severe than on the main line requiring heavy trains to be assisted by banker. The bankers would ease off at this point so that they could use the above crossover to return tender first to Stratford on Avon. – WarwickshireRailways.com
Steam Railways in Preservation
A few items from old papers.
Churnet Valley to bid for line
Churnet Valley Railway, the PLC formed to return steam to the ‘Knotty’, were this week invited by BR to bid for the seven mile long truncated stretch of the former Leek to Uttoxeter line.
The Company see the move as a major step to colonising the sand line which has lain dormant and rusty, agonisingly just feet away from their Cheddleton station base, since rail traffic to glass makers Pilkington’s finished more than four years ago.
Directors of Churnet Valley Railway are launching an immediate appeal for £400,000 to secure the line, which last saw service – save for sporadic DMU ‘excursions’ from Cheddleton, in 1965.
Locals know the picturesque area as ‘Little Switzerland’ and the PLC hope to create a tourist attraction capable of attracting more then 50,000 visitors a year.
The passion and life of a steam express locomotive… ex LMS Jubilee ‘Bahamas’ thunders out of Llandudno Junction bound for Holyhead with last weekend’s (1993) ‘Cymru Coaster’ express. Photo – Gwyn Roberts
Happy at Bodmin
There is bright news at Bodmin & Wenford this week, reports Managing Director Mr. Keith Searle.
Takings for the summer season look like equalling or even beating last year’s totals – despite the fact that the visit by ‘City of Truro’ was most certainly a tough act to follow, railway interest wise. ‘This may not sound too impressive following the rapid growth of previous years, but compares favourably enough with reports which are coming in from other buslnesses’ commented Mr. Searle.
North Yorkshire Moors
Winter is season for smaller tanks to show off.
With the larger locos being put into storage and undergoing maintenance, the winter months give the smaller tank locomotives an opportunity to ‘rule the roost’ on passenger services until spring.
In company with the USA160 280, Standard Class 4, 2-6-4T 80135 and Robert Stephenson 0-6-2T No.5 will be operating services on the line.
Keighley looks forward to its Winter visitors.
Winter is certainly an interesting time for the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway.
No less than three visiting main line engines are calling at the Railway before April.
Black 5 44767 ‘George Stephenson’ together with 45596 ‘Bahamas’ will arrive at the Railway on New Year’s Day, Saturday January 1st, 1994.
No.44767 will stay at Haworth throughout the winter; departure depends upon main line commitments but it is not expected to be before Easter Enthusiast’s Weekend on April 16 & 17 1994.
The owners of 44767 and 5305 Alderman Draper have agreed Sunday January 23 as the day when the two Black 5s will be in traffic on the branch. Both Black 5s will work at least one trip double-heading on the service train and also ‘turn and turn about’ on Parcels and Goods workings.Keighley’s ex-LMS 3F 0-6-0T No.47279 trickles light engine back into Haworth Yard after completing its roster for the day. Photo: Duncan Young.
Steam Drivers Sought
Are you a qualified driver…. Or an enthusiast who wants to train for service rosters in beautiful North Wales?
Following the success of two train services on the 12¼” gauge Fairbourne & Barmouth Steam Railway near Dolgellau, Gwynedd, this season, the Railway is now anxious to recruit four additional seasonal steam drivers (of either gender) for the coming 1994 season.
The eight-mile long Manifold Valley Light Railway near Thor’s Cave, a quirky 2′ 6″ gauge railway boasting fantastic scenery and fine colonial-style locomotives which brought a unique flavour to North Staffordshire.
Steam Locomotives of a Leisurely Era
1954 – Class 9 2-10-0
This was the last of the twelve BR standard designs to appear, the first example of which came out in 1954. A large 2-10-0 engine intended in the main for heavy freight traffic, these locomotives have on occasions been used with considerable success on passenger trains, although not as a regular thing. A speed of 90 mph has been recorded on at least one occasion, an extraordinary figure for a ten-coupled engine with wheels of only 5’ 0” diameter.
In all 251 engines of this class have been turned out, Nos.92000 – 92250. The final one actually built was No.92220, which appeared from Swindon in March 1960, and was appropriately named ‘Evening Star’. This was the last new steam locomotive constructed for British Railways.
Nos.92020-9 were built experimentally with Franco-Crosti type double boilers, a peculiarity of these engines being that the chimney is only used when the locomotive is being lighted up from cold, the normal exhaust coming from a separate outlet midway along the left hand side of the boiler. No.92250 was fitted with an experimental type of chimney embodying a device known as the Giesel ejector. This has been used extensively in Austria, and is said to give remarkable results in economy of coal consumption.
Unfortunately this invention appeared too late on the scene to result in any appreciable prolongation of the life of the steam locomotive in this country. That it is by no means due for an early extinction, however, is shown by the fact that even when the present modernisation plan is complete there will still be at work a total of about 7000 steam engines on British Railways (1959).
Driving wheels – 5’ 0”, Cylinders (2) – 20”x 28”, Pressure – 250 lb., Tractive effort – 39760 lb., Weight – 86 tons 14 cwt (The Crosti boiler engines weigh 90 tons 4 cwt), Classification – 9F
A few video clips from the Severn Valley Railway Gala, September 2014
276 – Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces From Chasewater News – Autumn 2004 Part 3 – Beattie Well Tank & Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway
276 – Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces
From Chasewater News – Autumn 2004
Part 3 – Beattie Well Tank & Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway
Bodmin North Station
View NW: buffer-stops right, Wadebridge left; ex-LSW terminus of branch from Wadebridge, closed completely 30/1/67. Local train for Wadebridge and Padstow in platform, headed by an LMS-type Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T.
Date 20 April 1964
Source From geograph.org.uk Author Ben Brooksbank Permission Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0
Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Teign Valley Railway
This line, authorised on 13 July 1863 in broad gauge between Bovey Tracey and Doddiscombesleigh, needed nine Acts before it finally opened on 9 October 1882, standard gauge between Heathfield (South Devon & Moretonhampstead Railway) and Ashton. An extension to Teign House, Christow was opened later. The line was built under GWR protection (the L&SWR had expressed interest), and the GWR worked it, despite its isolation, until the conversion of the SD&MR to standard gauge (23 May 1892). Ashton station had a timber platform and a raised causeway for access when the River Teign flooded, and the site of Chudleigh station is now beneath the A38 trunk road. The Exeter Railway gave the line a link to Exeter in 1903. The last passenger train ran on 7 August 1958, the last goods to Christow on 1 May 1961, the line closing completely on 4 December 1967.
Rosser1954 Devon, England. Licensing: I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain. This applies worldwide.