Railways in Preservation in the 1980s & 1990s
Irish News, December 1993
Steam locomotive No.186 in steam at Whitehead, County Antrim, in 2010. 186 was built in 1879 for the Great Southern and Western Railway and is now owned and operated by the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland.
Cc-by new white.svgCc-sa white.svg. I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following license: CC some rights reserved.svg This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.
Former CDRJC locomotive at the Foyle Valley Railway Museum
Outside the Foyle Valley Railway Museum, Londonderry
Date 1995 Source From geograph.org.uk; transferred by User:oxyman using geograph_org2commons. Author Wilson Adams Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0
Posted in Steam Preservation in the 1990s
Tagged December 1993, Foyle Valley Railway Museum, Great Southern and Western Railway, Ireland, Irish News, Old Railway Lines, Railway Preservation Society of Ireland, Railways in Preservation in the 1980s & 1990s Irish News, South Donegal Railway Restoration Society, Steam Locomotives, The Phoenix
Steam Railways in Preservation in the
1980s & 1990s
The West Lancashire Light Railway is a two foot gauge passenger carrying railway located in the village of Hesketh Bank midway between Preston and the resort of Southport. The line features a number of interesting locomotives and other railway equipment brought together from industrial lines in the immediate locality, from elsewhere in Great Britain and from overseas.
The Railway is a non-profit making organisation and is operated and supported by the West Lancashire Light Railway Trust. Volunteers are always needed to help maintain and develop the Railway as well as operating the trains. If you would like to join the Trust and lend a hand you will be made very welcome.
This work has been released into the public domain by its author, Sofrqoloe at the wikipedia project. This applies worldwide.
Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Authorised on 11 August 1879, this 3-mile branch ran from the Caledonian Railway’s South Alloa branch, across the river Forth to Alloa. The Caledonian Railway paid for the line, absorbing the Company with effect from 1 September 1884, the Act (14 July) also authorising extension. The line opened on 1 October 1885 – the North British Railway had running powers.
A glassy River Forth and a line of bridge stanchions, reflecting, perhaps, on times past. They once carried the Alloa Railway to the industrial town on the north bank.
The Alloa railway was connected to the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway by a connecting line from Longcarse Junction built by the North British Railway in exchange for reciprocal running powers.
British Railways added a second connection from Longcarse Junction to Alloa Marshalling Yard (parallel with the S&D line) in 1957. This made the turntable at Alloa passenger station redundant.
Alloa Swing Bridge
The swing bridge across the Forth was opened on 1 October 1885. It was subsequently closed twice due to storm damage in 1904/5 and 1920/1.
Posted in Railway Companies, Some Early Lines
Tagged Alloa Railway, Caledonian Railway, North British Railway, Old Railway Companies, Old Railway Lines, Railroads, River Forth, Scotland, Some Early Lines, Steam Locomotives, Steam Trains
Steam Railways in Preservation in the 1980s-90s – From Dec 17 1993
Glocestershire Warwickshire Railway
Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway – Christmas 1991
GWR will be a mile longer before Easter
The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway will be at least one mile longer when it opens at Easter for the start of its tenth season, Chairman Richard Johnson has pledged in his annual report.
Following a terrifically successful season which has seen the GWR’s membership top 2,000 and a record number of services attract an extra 20% of passengers, Mr. Johnson says that they will be nearer to Cheltenham Racecourse in 1994.
He commented, in the latest edition of the GWR ‘Cornishman’ magazine: ‘The news of the track extension is that the plc Board have had a definite commitment from the Permanent Way Department that an extension of at least one mile will be open by Easter next year.
‘The majority of track is laid and ballast is clean and ready.’
‘The longer our line gets, the more we must ensure that we are able to maintain what we have. The creeping vegetation along the line needs to be kept at bay and those infernal weeds in the track need to be removed once and for all – not just from the running line but also from the yards and sidings. It is one area where we have consistently let ourselves down over the last two years.’
He added that the visit of the ‘Flying Scotsman’ had demonstrated once again that ‘star’ locos do undoubtedly bring in the crowds.
‘A building able to house a number of such locos on a secure and permanent basis will increase our profile yet higher… the endless debate is whether or not available funds should go towards it, or to further track extensions.
‘There is no right answer, both are important.’
The spring season at the GWR will open on a high note with the return of ex-Great Western Hall Class loco ‘Burton Agnes Hall’.
Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway – Cheltenham Racecourse Station – 2013
Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
The Aberdeen Railway was a railway that ran mainly along the North East coast of Scotland south from Aberdeen to Guthrie on the Arbroath and Forfar Railway. There were branches to Montrose and Brechin.
The sidings and railway lines Aberdeen railway station
View taken from near the top of College Street car park. The station itself is off to the bottom left of the photo.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved] © Copyright Lizzie and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Incorporated on 31 July 1845 for a line from Guthrie (Arbroath and Forfar Railway) to Aberdeen, with branches to Brechin and Montrose, it was promoted by Great North of Scotland Railway supporters, who arranged for amalgamation should it be thought appropriate. However, by the time half the capital was paid up and spent, the Companies had drawn apart. It was worked by the Scottish Central Railway between 12 May 1851 and31 July 1854, and the Company amalgamated with the Scottish Midland Junction Railway on 29 July 1856 to form the Scottish North Eastern Railway, connecting Perth to Aberdeen. This latter company was absorbed by the Caledonian Railway on 10 August 1866, which in turn became part of the LMS on 1 July 1923.
1 February 1848 – Guthrie (Arbroath and Forfar Railway) to Montrose
1 November 1849 – Dubton to Portlethen
1 April 1850 – Portlethen to Aberdeen Ferryhill
2 August 1853 – Aberdeen Ferryhill to Aberdeen Guild Street
The station currently standing was built as Aberdeen Joint Station between 1913–16, replacing an 1867 structure of the same name, on the same site. The station and the new Denburn Valley Line enabled the main line from the south and the commuter line from Deeside to connect
with the line from the north. The lines from the south had previously terminated at the adjacent Aberdeen Guild Street. Even this had not been Aberdeen’s first railway station, that distinction belonging to a previous terminus a short way south at Ferryhill. After the construction of the Joint Station, Guild Street Station became a goods station. Some of its tracks remain, but the vast majority of the site was cleared in 2005.
This image was taken from the Geograph project collection. See this photograph’s page on the Geograph website for the photographer’s contact details. The copyright on this image is owned by Stanley Howe and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Posted in Railway Companies, Some Early Lines
Tagged Aberdeen Railway, Caledonian Railway, LMS, North East Scotland, Old Railway Companies, Old Railway Lines, Railroads, Scotland, Some Early Lines, Steam Locomotives, Steam Trains
From Railroad Glory Days
Railroad Glory Days
It has been a long time since Denver had a visit from Union Pacific 3985.
Railroad Glory Days
Denver actually has two remaining railroad stations: the well known Union Station, and the long disused Moffat Station shown here in a photo taken yesterday.
Moffat Station was the Denver terminus of David Halliday Moffat’s Denver, Northwestern and Pacific Railroad. This railroad was a latecomer to Denver — construction begun in 1904. It was projected to be the short route between Denver and Salt Lake City. Although the railroad never achieved Moffat’s (1839 – 1911) goal,ending a Craig, it survived long enough to be absorbed into the Denver & Rio Grande Western in 1947.
The station, designed by Edwin Moorman, is said to be predominantly Georgian Revival architecture and was opened to business in 1906. It has been redeveloped for a new use among overwhelming, larger new buildings that constitute Denver’s burgeoning LoDo neighborhood.
Much more about Denver architecture at http://RailroadGloryDays.com/GhostBldgs
Steam Railways in Preservation in the 1980s-90s From May 14, 1993
Two Bulleid Pacifics, two from Festiniog, and 34046 Braunton
100 at Festiniog Gwyn Roberts
Braunton in the rough! May 14 1993
BR(SR) Rebuilt Bulleid Light Pacific locomotive no 34046 Braunton
is owned and operated by Locomotive 34046 Ltd.
It was restored from scrapyard condition to full working order by
West Somerset Restoration at Williton on the West Somerset Railway,
where the locomotive ran for some years.
It is currently in the process of being equipped and certified
for mainline operation on Network Rail.
No.34046 ‘Braunton’ at Woldingham – November 2013
BR Rebuilt Light Pacific 4-6-2 seen with ‘The Blue Bell Explorer’ for Sheffield Park and Uckfield. No.44932 LMS Class 5MT 4-6-0 was bringing up the rear, required for the return journey from Uckfield.
© Copyright Peter Trimming and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Steam Railways in Preservation in the 1980s-90s
From May 14, 1993
The LWR is situated in a beautiful part of the Lincolnshire countryside between the Wolds and the coast, and is only a short distance from Grimsby, the seaside resort of Cleethorpes and the historic market town of Louth.
The railway operates on a stretch of line that was part of the Great Northern route from Boston to Grimsby.
After the last section of line was closed by BR in 1980, a preservation society was formed with the aim of restoring it. Heritage steam trains once again run between Ludborough and North Thoresby and work is now in progress to extend the line southwards towards Louth.
What visitors to the railway see today is a result of all the time and effort that a small, but dedicated band of volunteers have put in over many years.
Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
In Chasewater Railway Museum
London, Midland & Scottish Railway
Formed by the amalgamation, with effect from 1 January 1923, of the Furness Railway, Glasgow & South Western Railway, Highland Railway, London & North Western Railway, Midland Railway and North London Railway. Many smaller companies were absorbed at the same time including several in Ireland, previously owned by the Midland Railway. The Caledonian Railway and the North Staffordshire Railway, because of certain legal requirements not completed by the due date, entered the fold from 1 July 1923. This gave the LMS lines stretching from Thurso to Bournemouth (via the Somerset & Dorset Railway) and from Holyhead to Lowestoft (via the Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway), and access to Southend (LT&SR) and South Wales (via the ex-Neath & Brecon Railway).
Under the Transport Act 1947, along with the other members of the “Big Four” British railway companies (GWR, LNER and SR), the LMS was nationalised on 1 January 1948, becoming part of the state-owned British Railways.
The LMS was the largest of the Big Four railway companies serving routes in England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
LMS shield carved into stonework on station building in Leeds
Date 17 September 2007 (original upload date)
Source: Transfered from en.wikipedia Transfer was stated to be made by User:oxyman. Author Original uploader was Redvers at en.wikipedia
(Original text : Redvers) Licensing: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.
Steam Railways in Preservation in the 1980s-90s, From May 14, 1993.
Rebuilt West Country Class 34101 ‘Hartland’
Following a successful steam test on April 15th (1993) rebuilt West Country Class 34101 ‘Hartland’ is now making excellent progress towards full restoration at the Great Central railway.
The locomotive is presently estimated to be returned back to full working order by mid-summer.
Thanks are being offered to all those who have made this possible, but further donations are still urgently required for the 34101 Restoration Fund at the Great Central Railway. A donations box is also situated at the bufferbeam end of the locomotive.
34101 “Hartland” at Grosmont Crossing
The 34101 Hartland, West Country Class 4-6-2 built in Brighton in 1950, rebuilt 1960, pulling out of Grosmont station on the NYMR.
© Copyright David P Howard and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Steam Locomotive BR 34101 HARTLAND
SR Classes WC & BB Bullied 4-6-2 Pacific
Rebuilt West Country & Battle of Britain loco
Heritage & Preserved Steam Locomotive Engines
My Archive Steam Photos from the 1960s
Technical detail specifications of locomotive 34101: Boiler pressure of 34101: 250 lbf/sq.in., Weight of 34101: loco 86.0 tons, tender ~42-48 tons, Wheel diameter of 34101: 3′ 1”, 6′ 2″, 3′ 1″, Valve gear of 34101: Walschaerts, Cylinders (diameter x stroke) of 34101: 16⅜” x 24″ (3), Tractive effort of 34101: 27720 lbf., BR Power classification of 34101: Class 7P
Bullied SR 4-6-2 pacific design, (34101 HARTLAND originally built with air smoothed casing, removed in rebuilding), thermic syphons and Boxpox driving wheels.
Steam locomotive 34101 HARTLAND was built in 1950 with air smoothed casing at Brighton Works, but was rebuilt by Jarvis in 1960 at Eastleigh Works. It is currently being rebuilt and hopefully restored to full working order at NYMR’s Grosmont workshops on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. http://www.docbrown.info