Mick Doman – RIP
A great bloke – a great friend
Brighton Road station, Birmingham, was opened on 1 November 1875, and was just under 3 miles from the Birmingham & Gloucester Railway’s junction with the London & Birmingham Railway. A Midland Railway train hauled by a Johnson 0-6-0 No.3694 passes the timber platform during the second decade of the last century.
Originally conceived to link Birmingham with docks at Gloucester, a lengthy debate on the route resulted in a line (authorised on 22 April 1836) which avoided Tewkesbury and Worcester, though public pressure forced a diversion to Cheltenham. Its main bugbear was the Lickey Incline, 2.5 miles at 1 in 37.5 – built as an economy, it kept the Company in debt for all of its independent life. The line opened from Cheltenham to Bromsgrove on 24 June 1840, Bromsgrove to Cofton on 17 September, Cheltenham – Gloucester on 4 November, Cofton – Camp Hill on 17 December, and to Curzon Street Birmingham, on 16 August 1841. It was leased by the Midland Railway with effect from 1 July 1845, which absorbed the Company on 3 August 1846.
Incorporated on 31 July 1871 to build south from Albion Wharf to King’s Norton, with a junction with the ex-Birmingham & Gloucester Railway, the 6.75-mile single track was vested in the Midland Railway from 1 July 1875. It was opened on 3 April 1876, and widened and extended following authority of 18 July 1881; Midland Railway expresses were diverted along it from 1 October 1885. In 1892 a triangular junction was built at Lifford (authorised on 24 July 1888), to make a circular suburban service possible.
View northward, towards Birmingham New Street; ex-Midland Birmingham – Bristol main line (Birmingham West Suburban section), now electrified (to Redditch) — seen in pouring rain. Worcester & Birmingham Canal is beside the line on right, Cadbury’s Factory behind camera.
Date 4 September 1962 Source From geograph.org.uk Ben Brooksbank This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
More at: http://www.oslj.nu
The Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway was the only joint MR/L&NWR project. Market Bosworth station, now used as a garage, was, at this time, also the southern limit of the Battlefield Line, which aimed to extend along the track-bed beyond the station towards Shenton and Bosworth battlefield.
The London & North Western Railway proposed a line from Ashby to Nuneaton via Market Bosworth in conjunction with the Nuneaton – Wigston line opened in 1864, but the Midland Railway had already obtained powers for an identical line in 1846, which had lapsed at the time of the purchase of the Leicester & Swannington Railway. Now, however, it revived the plans the result being a joint project, authorised on 1 September 1873, was worked by both partners, becoming part on the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923. Three miles of track-bed between Shackerstone and Market Bosworth are now part of the preserved ‘Battlefield Line’.
Midland Railway train behind 0-4-4 tank No. 2081 at Market Bosworth in around 1905
The Battlefield Line is the last remaining part of the former Ashby and Nuneaton Joint Railway which was opened in 1873. It runs from Shackerstone via Market Bosworth to Shenton in Leicestershire and is operated by the Shackerstone Railway Society.
Shackerstone Station is at the northern end of the line, and is the headquarters of the railway with museum, Victorian tea room souvenir shop, loco shed and main rolling stock located here. There is ample free parking, and the Ashby Canal is just a stones throw away.
Our remarkable railway captures the very essence of a country line, with steam, diesel and railcar train services along with small stations meandering along a single track line. It really does convey something of the feeling and atmosphere of heady days past.
For anyone who retains a sense of nostalgia for times gone by, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at this place – one of Leicestershire’s best kept secrets, not just a train ride but a journey into history as well.
Churnet Valley Railway, at the dawn of turning a 20-year dream into reality in North Staffordshire, have revealed their operational timetable.
A Light Railway Order application was lodged nearly a year ago which has generated only a limited number of objections.
Now the ‘Knotty’ have identified three distinct stages of development.
The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway will be at least one mile longer when it opens at Easter for the start of its tenth season, Chairman Richard Johnson has pledged in his annual report.
Following a terrifically successful season which has seen the GWR’s membership top 2,000 and a record number of services attract an extra 20% of passengers, Mr. Johnson says that they will be nearer to Cheltenham Racecourse in 1994.
He commented, in the latest edition of the GWR ‘Cornishman’ magazine: ‘The news of the track extension is that the plc Board have had a definite commitment from the Permanent Way Department that an extension of at least one mile will be open by Easter next year.
‘The majority of track is laid and ballast is clean and ready.’
‘The longer our line gets, the more we must ensure that we are able to maintain what we have. The creeping vegetation along the line needs to be kept at bay and those infernal weeds in the track need to be removed once and for all – not just from the running line but also from the yards and sidings. It is one area where we have consistently let ourselves down over the last two years.’
He added that the visit of the ‘Flying Scotsman’ had demonstrated once again that ‘star’ locos do undoubtedly bring in the crowds.
‘A building able to house a number of such locos on a secure and permanent basis will increase our profile yet higher… the endless debate is whether or not available funds should go towards it, or to further track extensions.
‘There is no right answer, both are important.’
The spring season at the GWR will open on a high note with the return of ex-Great Western Hall Class loco ‘Burton Agnes Hall’.
The LWR is situated in a beautiful part of the Lincolnshire countryside between the Wolds and the coast, and is only a short distance from Grimsby, the seaside resort of Cleethorpes and the historic market town of Louth.
The railway operates on a stretch of line that was part of the Great Northern route from Boston to Grimsby.
After the last section of line was closed by BR in 1980, a preservation society was formed with the aim of restoring it. Heritage steam trains once again run between Ludborough and North Thoresby and work is now in progress to extend the line southwards towards Louth.
What visitors to the railway see today is a result of all the time and effort that a small, but dedicated band of volunteers have put in over many years.
Following a successful steam test on April 15th (1993) rebuilt West Country Class 34101 ‘Hartland’ is now making excellent progress towards full restoration at the Great Central railway.
The locomotive is presently estimated to be returned back to full working order by mid-summer.
Thanks are being offered to all those who have made this possible, but further donations are still urgently required for the 34101 Restoration Fund at the Great Central Railway. A donations box is also situated at the bufferbeam end of the locomotive.
34101 “Hartland” at Grosmont Crossing
The 34101 Hartland, West Country Class 4-6-2 built in Brighton in 1950, rebuilt 1960, pulling out of Grosmont station on the NYMR.
© Copyright David P Howard and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Steam Locomotive BR 34101 HARTLAND
SR Classes WC & BB Bullied 4-6-2 Pacific
Rebuilt West Country & Battle of Britain loco
Heritage & Preserved Steam Locomotive Engines
My Archive Steam Photos from the 1960s
Technical detail specifications of locomotive 34101: Boiler pressure of 34101: 250 lbf/sq.in., Weight of 34101: loco 86.0 tons, tender ~42-48 tons, Wheel diameter of 34101: 3′ 1”, 6′ 2″, 3′ 1″, Valve gear of 34101: Walschaerts, Cylinders (diameter x stroke) of 34101: 16⅜” x 24″ (3), Tractive effort of 34101: 27720 lbf., BR Power classification of 34101: Class 7P
Bullied SR 4-6-2 pacific design, (34101 HARTLAND originally built with air smoothed casing, removed in rebuilding), thermic syphons and Boxpox driving wheels.
Steam locomotive 34101 HARTLAND was built in 1950 with air smoothed casing at Brighton Works, but was rebuilt by Jarvis in 1960 at Eastleigh Works. It is currently being rebuilt and hopefully restored to full working order at NYMR’s Grosmont workshops on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. http://www.docbrown.info
On Sundays, until 2nd October, it is possible to ride on multiple unit trains along a freight-only section of the former Stockton & Darlington Railway.
Two return trips are being operated on those days from Bishop Aukland to Stanhope, which is only three miles short of the existing railhead at Eastgate. The trains depart at 9.26 and 1626 and return from Stanhope at 10.15 and 17.20, with all services running from/to Darlington.
The Weardale line is picturesque and full of interest for railway enthusiasts, with the present trains traversing sections of the railway opened in 1843, 1847 and 1862.
The fare is a bargain and the service will possibly operate in future years if sufficient numbers travel before the service ceases on 2nd October.
On Sunday 14th August the steam hauled excursion trains between York and Scarborough commenced their short season of operations, with locomotive Sir Nigel Gresley in charge.
Last Sunday, 21st August, the train was hauled by Bulleid West Country Pacific No.34092 ‘City of Wells’ and the locomotive scheduled to power the train on Bank Holiday Monday, 29th August, was GWR 4-4-0 ‘City of Truro’, but No.92220 will probably be used in lieu.
One hundred and fifty years after the arrival of the railway to Wolverton, the anniversary is to be celebrated with the largest festival that the town has ever seen. Local residents and businessmen who are arranging the Wolverton 150 Festival, which will take place next month, are hoping the event will give a new lease of life to the town, which is now part of the new City of Milton Keynes.
Planned to coincide with the anniversary of the operation of the first passenger train to pass through the town on its journey from London to Birmingham, Wolverton 150 will celebrate the heyday years when the population was booming, alongside the busy LNWR and LMS carriage works.
Though the recent history of Wolverton Works has seen contraction, British Rail is taking a leading role in the festival which will commence with the operation of a special train carrying celebrities from Euston to Wolverton on September 17th.
Highlights during the two-week event will include a locomotion exhibition, vintage road vehicles, music, drama, a bazaar and a firework display. Behind the bunting, festival organisers are trusting that the event will give back the community spirit to Wolverton which was enjoyed during the years when every family knew someone who was employed at the works.
The first Lantern Parade was held in 1988 as part of the Wolverton 150 Festival that celebrated the 150th anniversary of the founding of Wolverton as a railway town. It has been held as an annual festival in December ever since. The Festival takes the form of a street parade with a samba band. Many smaller lanterns are candle lit but the larger lanterns, now tend to use LED lighting.
The Port Line Locomotive Project’s Standard 4MT 2-6-4T locomotive No 80104, based at the Swanage Railway, has been moved to the Heritage Centre Swindon, where it will be restored to full working condition before returning to the Swanage Railway to haul trains on the expanding line.
No.80104 was rescued from the Barry sidings in 1984 and during its time at Swanage, the deterioration was halted whilst awaiting restoration. The locomotive is owned by the Port Line Locomotive Project, but the Swanage based Southern Steam Trust holds a large percentage of shares in the engine. It is intended that 80104 will operate permanently on the Swanage line following the completion of restoration.
Built at Brighton in 1954, the locomotive was initially allocated to Plaistow (33A) on the Eastern Region and spent the first six years of its life hauling intensive commuter services out of Fenchurch Street to Tilbury (Riverside), Shoeburyness and Southend (Central). The Standard 4MT tanks were displaced from those services in 1961.
The class is not a newcomer to Swanage, with engines of that type having worked the line between 1963 and 1967, indeed the last example to work to Corfe Castle and Swanage was on Sunday, 18th June 1967, when No.80146, a one-time regular on the line, worked a 10-coach RCTS tour train to Swanage.
BR 2-6-4T Class 4MT No. 80104
BR Standard Class 4 80104 was bought by the Southern Steam Trust and displayed in the headshunt at Swanage in September 1984 after a cosmetic restoration, and stayed there for a number of years.
After a long restoration the locomotive entered regular service in 1997.
Photo – Date August 2003, Author Andrew Hackney, Licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license