Tag Archives: South Wales Railway

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – South Wales Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

South Wales Railway

South Wales Railway - laluciole.net

South Wales Railway – laluciole.net

Incorporated on 4 August 1845, this was supported by the GWR, which was aiming at Ireland. Its first section (Swansea-Chepstow, 75 miles) opened on 18 June 1850. The building of Brunel’s bridge across the Wye delayed opening east to Gloucester until September 1851 (the Company was authorised in 1847 to lease or buy the Forest of Dean Railway, and western extensions opened to Carmarthen on 11 October 1852, to Haverford West on 2 January 1854 and to Neyland on 15 April 1856. The line was leased to the GWR in 1846 at a guaranteed 5% and amalgamated with effect from 1 August 1863. Broad gauge, however, did not suit the valley lines, for which sharp curves were often necessary, and by 1866 freighters were petitioning for conversion; this had reached Cardiff by 1872.
The line now forms part of the South Wales Main Line and Gloucester to Newport Line.

S.Wales BridgeAnother Brunel Relic, this time the bridge across the River Wye at Chepstow, opened by the South Wales Railway in 1851. An up train crosses during rebuilding in 1962 (Rev W.Awdrey)

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Gloucester & Dean Forest Railway

Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Gloucester & Dean Forest Railway

GWR supported, the Company was authorised on 27th July, 1846 to build about 8 miles of railway from Gloucester to Grange Court Junction, with a 7.5 mile extension to Awre (SWR). The Gloucester – Grange Court section was opened on 19th September, 1851 and leased in perpetuity to the GWR from the opening day. When money ran out, the SWR built the Awre extension, and the GWR a branch to Llanthony, Gloucester, opened on 20th March, 1854. The line remained broad gauge until 1869, and the Company was absorbed by the GWR under an Act of 30th June, 1874.

This line is open. It runs from Grange Court to Gloucester. It connected together the Cheltenham and Great Western Railway and the South Wales Railway.

Oakle St PicOakle St Text