Tag Archives: S&DJR

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1912 – Fowler 4-4-0 – Midland Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1912 – Fowler 4-4-0

Midland Railway

No. 554 in 1926No. 554 in 1926

The pre-grouping members of this class were nominally rebuilds of much earlier Johnson engines, but here they are treated as a new class originating in 1912.

The first of the original Johnson engines to be taken in hand for this complete modernisation was the old’1667’ class, a series of ten 7’ 0” engines built in 1885, numbered 1667-1676, which became Nos. 483-93 under the 1907 renumbering scheme.  No. 483 was the first to be treated, and not only were the others of this batch, but also the whole of the series numbered between 483 and 562, completed by 1914, as well as many of the earlier engines in addition.

40404 Rebuilt cl 2Conversion of these proceeded until 1922, after which no more were done, and those still remaining in the second ‘intermediate’ rebuilt stage were gradually taken out of service.  All of the new ‘483’ class, 157 engines in all, numbered between 332 and 562, together with five others taken over from the Somerset and Dorset in 1930 as Nos. 322-6 (the original Johnson engines bearing those numbers having by that time been scrapped), came into BR stock in 1948.  They nominally had 40000 added to their numbers, but withdrawal commenced in 1948 and in a few cases the new numbers were never carried.  Toward the end of 1959 some thirty of these engines were still in traffic.

After the 1923 amalgamation the class was adopted with slight modifications – the principal of which was a reduction in the diameter of the driving wheels from 7’ 0” to 6’ 9” – as a standard design, and a further 135 engines were built for the LMSR, together with three others for the Somerset and Dorset, between 1928 and 1932.

666The LMS engines were 563-632 and 636-700, whilst the S&DJR engines, at first 44-6 in their own system, became 633-5 on their absorption in 1930.  Nos. 591 and 639 had very short lives, as they were involved in a collision in 1934, and were so badly damaged that they were scrapped.  The remainder all became BR 40563-40700 and withdrawal did not commence on any considerable scale until 1959.  Many of these LMS-built engines were put to work on the Glasgow and South Western section in Scotland where they replaced the various G&SWR 4-4-0s which did not long survive the grouping.

MR engines – Driving wheels – 7’ 0”,  Cylinders – 20½”x 26”,  Pressure – 160 lb.,  Tractive effort – 17585 lb.,  Weight – 53 tons 7 cwt, MR classification – 2,  LMS & BR classification – 2P

LMS engines – Driving wheels – 6’ 9”,  Cylinders – 19”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 17730 lb.,  Weight – 54 tons 1 cwt, MR classification – N/A,  LMS & BR classification – 2P

633

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era 1874 – Johnson 0-6-0T Midland Railway

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era

1874 – Johnson 0-6-0T

 Midland Railway

No.1803, one of the earlier unrebuilt engines, as running in 1907.

This was S.W.Johnson’s first design after coming to the Midland Railway in 1873, 25 of these engines were built initially by Neilson & Co in 1874-5, and another fifteen by the Vulcan Foundry in 1875-6.  Many more followed from Derby between 1878 and 1893, and still further batches from outside builders until 1899, by which time the class totalled 280 engines.  Previous to 1907 their numbers were somewhat scattered, but in that year they became Nos. 1620-1899.  A further sixty engines of a slightly larger version came from the Vulcan Foundry from 1899 to 1902, numbered 1900-59.  Many of these were fitted with condensing apparatus for working over the ‘widened’ lines of the Metropolitan Railway, and these consequently spent a lot pf their working lives in the London area.  The MR had evidently by 1902 a sufficient stock of shunting tank engines, and no more were built by that company, but the design in a slightly improved form reappeared again under LMS auspices as one of their standard types, of which no less than 415 were built between 1924 and 1931, as well as a further seven for the Somerset and Dorset Railway, which engines later became merged into LMS stock.

During the 1930s Nos. 1900-59 were renumbered 7200-59.  All of the Midland engines at first carried Johnson’s distinctive boiler with the Salter safety valve in the dome, but most of the later ones to survive, and all of the 1900-59 batch, gradually acquired Belpaire type boilers.  The earlier engines had only half section cabs, which some retained even after rebuilding with Belpaire boilers.  All lasted until the early 1920s, when they began to be taken out of service, but nevertheless 95 of the original series, and all of the ‘1900’ Class, survived to be taken into BR stock and to have their numbers increased by 40000.  No. 41661 built on 1878, was in service until 1959, when there remained also a few others of the pre-1900 series, including No. 41835, still with its Johnson boiler. Whilst about half of the 47200-59 lot were still running, as were nearly all of the LMS built engines, whose numbers range from 47200-47681. Nos. 7260-7309 were originally 7100-49 and 7317-7681 first came out as 16400-16764, whilst 7210-16 had been S&DJR 19-25.

 Dimensions

 Original series – Driving wheels – 4’ 7”,  Cylinders – 17”x 24”,  Pressure – 140 lb.,  Tractive effort – 15007 lb.,  Weight – 39 tons 11 cwt.,  BR Classification – 1F

 47200-59 – Driving wheels – 4’ 7”,  Cylinders – 18”x 26”,  Pressure – 160 lb.,  Tractive effort – 20835 lb.,  Weight – 48 tons 15 cwt.,  BR Classification  – 3F

 LMS Series – As 47200-59 except – Weight – 49 tons 10 cwt.No.16624 (later 7541), one of the LMS series.  These differ from Nos. 47200-59 only by the extended smokebox and slightly enlarged boiler.