Tag Archives: Railways

Walsall-Rugeley Chase Line Electrification

Walsall-Rugeley Chase Line Electrification

Train in StationThe Council have been pushing for this important transport scheme for many years, which will transform CannockChaseDistrict. As well as making the District more attractive for inward investment and job creation it will lead to more frequent, faster, quieter rail services from Cannock, Hednesford and Rugeley to Walsall and Birmingham. It will also help make the case to restore direct services to Stafford and potentially beyond to the North West and south to London.

Construction works are due to commence in November, with major bridge rebuilding at Station Road, Hednesford and on the access to the Chase Enterprise Centre.

Network Rail will produce information material for the project which will include fact sheets covering the following:

      • General Electrification
      • Walsall to RugeleyTrentValley
      • Individual sheets about the initial bridge reconstruction works (Station Road, Hednesford and Chase Enterprise Centre, Hednesford)

2010_02010011Network Rail will also produce posters for display at Stations along the route; they also intend to distribute invitation letters to residents etc. in the vicinity of the initial bridge re-constructions.

Councillor Gordon Alcott, Economic Development and Planning Portfolio Leader said, “Electrification of the Chase Line will see the biggest improvement to passenger services since the line was reopened in 1989. The rail service attracted an additional 100,000 passengers within the District in 2011/2 alone, with a total number of 700,000 per annum.  This is the first electrification scheme in the West Midlands since the Cross City line to Lichfield was electrified 20 years ago and as well as benefiting passengers with faster, quieter, more frequent services, is set to make the District  more attractive for investment. Whenever a railway line is electrified, the ‘sparks effect’ that follows always leads to a substantial increase in passenger numbers as well as economic benefits to an area. 

Note: The Chase Line electrification project was announced by the Government in July 2012. Work will start in November 2013 and completion is planned for December 2017. The £30m project will involve electrifying the 15 mile, strategic missing link in the West Midlands electrified network between Walsall and Rugeley.


Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1908 – 4-6-0 & 4-6-4T Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1908 – 4-6-0 & 4-6-4T

Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway 

No. 1658 when new in 1922No. 1658 when new in 1922

The first twenty of these large four-cylinder 4-6-0s were designed by G.Hughes and came out from Horwich works in 1908-9 as L&Y Rly Nos. 1506-25.  In their original form they were unsatisfactory engines and were heavy in coal consumption.  In 1922 No. 1522 was superheated and the cylinder diameter enlarged by half-an-inch.  This effected such a marked improvement that not only were most of the remainder similarly dealt with, but construction of a further 35 engines was put in hand.  They were to have been Nos.1649-83, but No. 1675 was the last to carry an L&YR number and the rest came out as LMS 10447-54.

Meanwhile a tank version of the same design was prepared, of which it was planned to build thirty engines, but only the first ten came out as tanks.  These large 4-6-4Ts appeared in 1924 as LMS Nos.11110-19.  No. 11114 was exhibited at the Wembley Exhibition in 1925 and No.11112 together with the 4-6-0 No. 10474 took part In the Darlington Centenary celebrations in the same year.  For some reason it was decided to bring out the final twenty engines as 4-6-0s after all, and these duly appeared in 1924-5 as Nos. 10455-74.

In 1926 No. 10456 was rebuilt as a 4-cylinder compound with two 16”x 26” high pressure and two 22”x 26” low pressure cylinders, and it seems to have done well in this condition, although no more were similarly treated.  This engine, along with a number of others of the later batch, did some good work on the North Western main line in the early years of the grouping.

Of the original engines, five which were never superheated became LMS Nos. 10400-4 and were scrapped in 1925-6.  The others were renumbered from 10405 upwards, but most of them had disappeared by 1939.  A few, however, survived the war, and seven passed into BR stock in 1948.  The last in traffic became No. 50455 and was scrapped in 1951.

The 4-6-4Ts were taken out of service between 1938 and 1942.  They had been intended for express working, but developed a reputation for being unsteady at speed, and were far too large and powerful to be used economically on local services.

Rebuilt 4-6-0  Driving wheels – 6’ 9”,  Cylinders (4) – 16½”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 28880 lb.,  Weight – 79 tons 1 cwt,  L&YR Classification – 8,  LMS Classification – 5P

4-6-4T  Driving wheels – 6’ 9”,  Cylinders (4) – 16½”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 28880 lb.,  Weight – 99 tons 19 cwt,  L&YR Classification – 8,  LMS Classification – 5P


Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1902 – Earlier Robinson 4-6-0s Great Central Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1902 – Earlier Robinson 4-6-0s

Great Central Railway

6100 - One of the 6 -7 engines in 19266100 – One of the 6′ 7″ engines in 1926

In all, J.G.Robinson designed nine classes of 4-6-0 for the Great Central Railway during his period of office from 1900 to 1922, the first four of which conformed to one general pattern and can be considered here.  The later classes differed very considerably.

The arrangement common to all four of the earlier designs was the two outside cylinders driving the centre pair of wheels, with the framing raised to clear the coupling rods and separate splashers for each pair of driving wheels.  The main variations between the four classes lay in the sizes of the driving wheels and the boilers.


The first batch consisted of fourteen engines, No. 180-7and 1067-72, built between 1902 and 1904.  These had 6’ 1” wheels and were intended mainly for the fast fish traffic between Grimsby and London, hence they were usually known as the ‘Fish’ class.

Nos. 195 and 196, which appeared in 1903, were intended for express work and had 6’ 9” driving wheels.  Apart from the six-coupled wheels, they were identical with the ‘Atlantics’ which appeared at the same time, and were built for the sake of comparison between the two types.  Neither class was ever converted, however, unlike the similar situation on the Great Western, where the 4-4-2 type was eventually altered to 4-6-0.


1906 saw ten somewhat similar engines but with 6’ 7” wheels, Nos. 1095-1104, of which 1097 bore the name ‘Immingham’.

Lastly, in the same year, were ten engines, Nos. 1105-14, with 5’ 3” wheels for fast freight traffic.  All of these classes had 5000 added to their numbers at the grouping, and in 1946 they were renumbered from 1469089 and 1678-90 (two engines already withdrawn were not included here).  They were scrapped between 1947 and 1950, and although some passed into BR hands, only two, old 1105 and 1111 actually carried BR numbers, which they did as Nos. 61469 and 61475.


B1 later B18 – Driving wheels – 6’ 9”,  Cylinders – 21”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 21658 lb.,  Weight – 72 tons 18 cwt,  GCR classification – 8C,  LNER classification B1, later B18

B4 – Driving wheels – 6’ 7”,  Cylinders – 21”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 22206 lb.,  Weight – 71 tons 15 cwt,  GCR classification – 8F,  LNER classification B4

B5 – Driving wheels – 6’ 1”,  Cylinders – 21”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 24030 lb.,  Weight – 65 tons 4 cwt,  GCR classification – 8,  LNER classification B5

B9 – Driving wheels – 5’ 3”,  Cylinders – 21”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 27410 lb.,  Weight – 66 tons 1 cwt,  GCR classification – 8G,  LNER classification B9

The cylinder dimensions were originally 19”x 26”, with less tractive effort in consequence.


Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1900 – ‘Claud Hamiltons’ Great Eastern Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1900 – ‘Claud Hamiltons’

Great Eastern Railway

CH as first builtClaud Hamilton as first built

The first engine of this famous class, ‘Claud Hamilton’, which appeared from Stratford in 1900, was numbered after the year of its birth, although GER numbers had not yet reached so high by several hundreds.  Subsequent engines of the class were built in batches of ten, and numbered successively backwards, as 1890-9, 1880-9, and so on, until Nos. 1790-9 appeared in 1911.  Ten more engines of larger dimensions, known as ‘Super Clauds’, appeared in 1923 after the amalgamation as LNER 1780E-1789E, the whole class eventually becoming LNER 8780-8900.

CH as running in 1937 after rebuildClaud Hamilton  as running 1n 1937 after rebuilding

The ‘Claud Hamiltons’ as originally built are considered by many to be one of the most handsome designs ever built.  With their well-proportioned outline embellished by the beautiful Great Eastern blue with its elaborate lining-out in red and yellow, they presented a sight which would be almost unbelievable in these drab days.

Not only in appearance, however, but in performance too, these engines soon showed themselves to be an exceedingly remarkable design, and many were the stupendous feats of haulage they were destined to perform over the GER main lines in their heyday.  The GER went in fairly extensively for oil burning around the turn of the century, and many of the earlier Clauds were so fitted for a time.


Commencing with the 1850-9 batch, which appeared in 1904, Belpaire fireboxes were provided, and the final ten, Nos. 1780-9, mentioned above, which came out under Hill’s regime, were considerably enlarged.

The later history of the class is somewhat involved, and cannot be fully detailed here.  Apart from the inevitable provision of superheaters, Gresley began rebuilding many of them from 1933 onwards.  This involved, amongst other things, a much larger boiler, with a reversion to the round-topped firebox and, in some cases, provision for piston valves.  Many, but not all, of the rebuilds lost the decorative framing and splashers, and had raised running plates to clear the coupling rods, which, together with the replacement of the handsome chimneys by one of Gresley’s pattern which somehow ill-suited these locomotives, completely ruined their appearance.

62547 SC

In 1946 the class was renumbered 2500-2620 in order of building (Nos.1780-9 becoming 2611-20) and on Nationalisation they were allocated in turn 62500-62620, although in few cases they never bore these numbers.  In fact, the prototype, No. 2500 ‘Claud Hamilton’, had already been scrapped in 1947, when its nameplates were transferred to No. 2546.  All of the rebuilt engines had gone by 1952, but a few Gresley rebuilds still remained in service in 1959.



Original – Driving wheels – 7’ 0”,  Cylinders – 19”x 26”,  Pressure – 185 lb.,  Weight – 50 tons 8 cwt.,  GER classification – S46 & S56 (Belpaire),  LNER classification – D14 & D15 (Belpaire)

Super-Claud – Driving wheels – 7’ 0”,  Cylinders – 19”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Weight – 54 tons 18 cwt.,  GER classification – H88,  LNER classification – D16

Gresley Rebuilds – Driving wheels – 7’ 0”,  Cylinders – 19”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Weight – 55 tons 18 cwt.,  GER classification –,  LNER classification – D16/3,  BR classification – 3P 1F


Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1900 – Johnson Class 3 Belpaire 4-4-0 Midland Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1900 – Johnson Class 3 Belpaire 4-4-0

Midland Railway

No.730 as running in 1920No. 730 as running in 1920

In 1900, S.W.Johnson, who had been locomotive superintendent of the Midland Railway since 1873, introduced this design of 4-4-0 engine for main line work.  It was a considerable advance on his previous express types, some of which were inclined to be under-boilered.  The new engines were provided with a much larger boiler, and also, for the first time on the Midland Railway, a Belpaire firebox.  By Johnson’s previous standards, they were comparatively plain in appearance, the decorative curved splashers of the earlier days being no longer in evidence, but nevertheless a most neat and sturdy design evolved.

The new engines soon proved themselves very capable machines, and for many years they performed a major share in express working over the old Midland system, to a greater extent perhaps than the compounds which followed them, and if only for that reason that there were more of them.  Some of them were used at first on the mountainous Leeds and Carlisle road, but later they were usually to be found on the main lines between London and Leeds, London and Manchester, and on the West of England line between Derby and Bristol.


In all, eighty of the class were built between 1900 and 1905.  In 1907 they were renumbered into one series as 700-79, and thereafter became generally known as the ‘700’ class.  From 1913 onwards they began to be rebuilt with superheaters and extended smokeboxes, and nearly all received this treatment.  About 1925 it was decided that no more rebuilding should be done, and the seven engines still unconverted were scrapped.  These were Nos. 737, 742, 749, 751, 772, 778, and 779.  The class thereafter began to fall into some disfavour, and they began gradually to be taken out of service.  The process was slow, however, and 22 survived to be absorbed into BR stock at Nationalisation in 1948.  These were Nos. 711, 715, 720, 726-9, 731, 734-6, 739-41/3/5/7/8, 756-8, and 762.

Under the BR renumbering scheme their numbers were increased by 40000, as 40711, etc., but in many cases the engines were scrapped without actually carrying their new numbers.  The last one in service was No.40726, withdrawn in 1952.

No. 40726

They were very fine engines, fast and steady running, but had a tendency to be heavy on coal.  This was probably the reason that they did not meet with a great deal of favour after about 1925, when much attention was given to the question of economy of coal consumption, even at the expense of providing locomotives of adequate power for the needs of the day.

Driving wheels – 6’ 9”,  Cylinders – 20½”x 26”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Tractive effort – 20065 lb.,  Weight – 55 tons 7 cwt.,  LMS power classification – 3P.


Some Early Lines – Inchicore Railway Works

Some Early Lines

Inchicore Railway Works

Inchicore Book

Last year the Museum had a visitor from Dublin, a relative of a friend in the Cannock area.  Unfortunately, it was not a running day but I showed him round and we took a walk along the canal beneath the dam.  I told him that we were going to set up a reference library sometime in the future (any specialised railway books would be welcome) and when he got home he donated a copy of this book on the Inchicore Railway Works to the Museum.  Thank you Andrew.


Located five kilometres due west of the city centre, Inchicore lies south of the River Liffey, west of Kilmainham, north of Drimnagh and east of Ballyfermot. The majority of Inchicore is in the Dublin 8 postal district. Portions of Inchicore extend into the Dublin 10 and Dublin 12 postal districts.

The townlands of Inchicore North and Inchicore South are located in the civil parish of St. James, Dublin, in the Barony of Uppercross.

Inchicore Railway Works is the headquarters for mechanical engineering and rolling stock maintenance for Iarnród Éireann. Established in 1844 by the Great Southern & Western Railway, it is the largest engineering complex of its kind in Ireland with a site area of 295,000 m² (73 acres). CIÉ also builds bus coaches for its fleets at the Spa Road coach works.

The Inchicore Railway Works were established in 1846 by the Great Southern and Western Railway (GS&WR) as its main engineering works, the first payroll is dated the 24th of April 1846 and amounted to £83. 12s. 9d. At that time there were 39 men employed, but at its peak there were over 2000.

461 Inchicore open day 68461 at an Inchicore open day in 1968. CIÉ staff have painted her up as DSER 15, in black with red lining. In DSER days she did not have the distinctive Inchicore style smokebox – and the white-wall tyres are a very un-Irish feature apparently added in a fit of creative passion. In the background is GNR(I) No.131. (CP Friel)  steamtrainsireland.com

 The original running shed was built throughout of limestone and was designed by Sancton Wood who also designed Heuston Station. With its castellated walls and tower and gothic appearance it was architecturally a very picturesque building.

The “Works” are located 3km west of Heuston Station and covers a site of approximately 73 acres. It’s still the main engineering works for Iarnrod Eireann, maintaining the large fleet of diesel locomotives and rolling stock.

This video from youtube shows the Inchicore Open Day of 1958.  Health and Safety were rather different in those days!!


Some Early Lines – Waveney Valley Line

Some Early Lines

Waveney Valley Line

Showing the route of the Waveney Valley Line railway

Date 2 May 2009 (original upload date)

Source Transferred from en.wikipedia; transferred to Commons by User:Kafuffle using CommonsHelper.  Author Openstreetmap and contributors. Original uploader was PeterEastern at en.wikipedia

 The Waveney Valley Line was a branch line running from Tivetshall in Norfolk to Beccles in Suffolk connecting the Great Eastern Main Line at Tivetshall with the East Suffolk Line at Beccles. It provided services to Norwich, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Ipswich and many other smaller towns in Suffolk with additional services to London. It was named after the River Waveney which follows a similar route.

Harleston Station

Date 12 July 2005   Source From geograph.org.uk  Author Ron Strutt Permission  Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0


The line was authorised by the Waveney Valley Railway Act on 3 July 1851. The line opened in stages, firstly from Tivetshall to Harleston on 1 December 1855, then to Bungay on 2 November 1860, and finally to Beccles. When the line was completed it was incorporated into the Great Eastern Railway. The line then became part of the LNER on 1 January 1923.The Waveney Valley Line – Pulham Market Station

This view was taken in south-easterly direction, looking along the station platform and the dismantled trackbed of the line. The station building can be seen in mid-distance.

 Originally the platform had a length of 99 feet (30 metres). It was extended by 30 feet in 1885 and lengthened again in 1892.  The Waveney Valley Line ran from a junction with the London to Norwich mainline at Tivetshall > Link – Link servicing the market towns of Harleston,, Bungay and Beccles, where it connected with the East Suffolk line to Yarmouth. The line was opened between 1855 and 1863 but its first stations (Starston > Link and Redenhall) were closed as early as 1866. The passenger service was eventually withdrawn in 1953. Freight services were but back in 1960 and in 1966 the line was closed. Part of its route – between Harleston and Broome – has since been taken over by the realigned A143 road.  © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

 Starston and Redenhall stations were closed in 1866, only 11 years after the line opened.

The line was closed to passenger services on 5 January 1953. With the last passenger train from Tivetshall junction to Beccles pulled by Class F3 2-4-2 tank locomotive No 67128.

A Light Railway Order was obtained in November 1954, after which there were some special services run by railway enthusiasts.

J15 class 0-6-0 No. 65471 with cab tarpaulin out takes a sugar beet train up the Waveney Valley Line of the Great Eastern Railway near Homersfield. – Dr. Ian C.Allen

From 1960 the line was split into sections – Tivetshall to Harleston and Beccles to Bungay.

The lines were finally closed from 19 April 1966 during the Beeching Axe and the track eventually removed. Some of the last wagon loads to leave Ditchingham were sand and gravel from Broome Heath, used in the construction of Hammersmith fly-over in west London.

In the early 1980s, many of the remaining old buildings, including stations and goods yards, were demolished to make way for a new road.

The Waveney Valley Line – view north-west along dismantled trackbed

Here the line passed a crossing cottage .  © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1898 0-6-0T Class J72 North Eastern Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1898 0-6-0T Class J72

North Eastern Railway 

No. 8680 in 1947 painted in LNER passenger green for station pilot work at Newcastle Central

This remarkable little design stands unique in being constructed over a period of 53 years, under three different stages of railway ownership and five regimes of locomotive superintendent.

The design was that of William Worsdell, whose period of office on the old North Eastern Railway ran from 1890 to 1910.  The first twenty engines were built at Darlington in 1898 and 1899, but no more appeared until 1914, by which time Sir Vincent Raven was in charge, when twenty more were built but with very slight modification to the original design.  Others followed, ten in 1920 and another 25 in 1922.  After the grouping Gresley built another ten at Doncaster in 1925, bringing the total up to 85.  This might have been thought to constitute the end of the story, but after Nationalisation, British Railways ordered yet another 28, and these were turned out under the superintendency of Peppercorn, who had succeeded Thompson on the LNER in 1946 and was the first CME of the Eastern and North Eastern Regions of British Railways.

These latest engines were again practically similar in every respect to the original design, and did not even embody such modern practices as the employment of ‘pop’ safety valves, as might have been expected.

No. 68736, together with No.68723 was latterly painted in the old NER light green for station pilot work at Newcastle.  They carried the NER crest and the new British Railways emblem.  H.C.Casserley

The North Eastern and LNER built engines became Nos. 68670-68754 at Nationalisation, and as no provision had been made for further construction the new batch had to be numbered in a special series, and came out as Nos.69001-28.

All remained in service until 1958, when some of the earlier-built engines began to be withdrawn from traffic.

Driving wheels – 4’ 1¼”,  Cylinders – 17”x 24”,  and 18”x 24”,  Pressure – 140 lb.,  Tractive effort – 16760 lb.,  and 18790lb.,  Weight – 38 tons 12 cwt.,  NER classification – E1,  LNER & BR classification – J72,  BR power classification – 2F.

No.68709, a class J72 locomotive which worked in Scotland for some years and acquired a stove-pipe chimney at Cowlairs.  H.C.Casserley

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1894 Jones 4-6-0 Highland Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1894    Jones 4-6-0  Highland Railway

No 117 as running without smokebox wing plates

These engines are famous as being the first examples of the 4-6-0 type in the British Isles, a wheel arrangement that has since become so widespread and universally popular.  Fifteen of them were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in 1894, and at the time they were the most powerful main line engines in the country.  Although intended primarily for freight work they have also done much passenger duty in the height of the busy season, and were of inestimable value to the highland under its difficult operational conditions.  They remained little altered throughout their existence except for the removal in some cases of the smokebox wing plates and the substitution of a later pattern of chimney for the distinctive Highland louvre type.  Their original numbers were 103–17, and they became LMS Nos.17916-30 at the grouping.  They were taken out of service gradually between 1929 and 1940, but the original No.103 was preserved and has recently been restored to working order in its original condition (1959).No. 103  preserved – photo:  Malcolm McCrow

Driving wheels – 5’ 3”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”,  Pressure – 175 lb., – Weight – 56 tons.


Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1893 0-8-0 London & North Western Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

 1893 0-8-0 London & North Western Railway

 Ex-LNWR ‘Super D’ 0-8-0 No 8929 runs into the goods yard with a goods train. C1930s – warwickshirerailways.com

The history of the 0-8-0 on the LNWR is a very complicated one, and can only be described very briefly here.  Having built large numbers of 3-cylinder compound passenger engines by 1892, Webb turned his attention to producing a similar freight engine, and No.50 appeared as an 0-8-0 engine in September 1893.  Unlike his passenger engines, all the wheels were coupled.  Between 1893 and 1900 a further 110 were turned out, and in 1901 the design was modified to a 4-cylinder compound engine, and 170 of these appeared during the next four years.  When Whale took charge in 1903 he did not start wholesale scrapping as in the case of the passenger engines, but instead began gradually to convert them to 2-cylinder simple engines.  It is here that the complications began to arise, as the rebuilding took several forms: some engines retained the small boilers, and others were provided with larger ones, whilst a number of the 4-cylinder variety were rebuilt as 2-8-0s, still remaining as compounds for the time being, and again some with large and some with small boilers.  Eventually nearly the whole class were converted to simples, but a few remained compounds to the end, some lasting until 1928 in this form.LNWR 0-8-0 No 2562 is seen at the head of a long up mixed goods train travelling on the fast line near Atherstone. C1919-22 – warwickshirerailways.com

In 1910 further new engines to the rebuilt design began to appear from Crewe, and many more followed at intervals until 1918, those built from 1912 onwards having superheaters.  The final development of the design was a batch of sixty engines built between 1921 and 1922.  In all 572 engines had been constructed, and all but one lasted to be absorbed into LMS stock in 1923.  The missing one was an unconverted 4-cylinder compound, whose boiler exploded at Buxton in 1922.

No.8951 rebuilt as a 2-cylinder simple with Belpaire firebox as running in 1948.

The LMS numbers allocated to the class after 1923 were 8900-9454 for the 0-8-0s, and 9600-15 for the 4-cylinder compounds which had been rebuilt as 2-8-0s.  The survivors of the latter, which had meanwhile been converted to 0-8-0 simples, were later altered to 8892-9.  Shortly after the grouping some of them began to appear with Belpaire fireboxes, and by about 1950 all the survivors had been so treated.  502 engines came into BR stock in 1948, and most of these lasted to have 40000 added to their numbers.  About 160 were still at work at the close of 1959.

“A” class 0-8-0 No. 2528 sometime before 1903 – eastsidepilot.wordpress.com

 3-cylinder compound  Driving wheels – 4’ 5½”,  Cylinders (2) 15”x 24” (1) 30”x 24”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Weight – 49 tons 5 cwt.,  LNWR Classification – A

4-cylinder compound  Driving wheels – 4’ 5½”,  Cylinders (2) 15”x 24” (1) 20½”x 24”,  Pressure – 200 lb.,  Weight – 53 tons 10 cwt.,  LNWR Classification – B

1912 design  Driving wheels – 4’ 5½”,  Cylinders – 20½”x 24”,  Pressure – 160 lb.,  Weight – 60 tons 5 cwt.,  LNWR Classification – G1,  LMS & BR Classification – 6F

Final 1921 design  Driving wheels – 4’ 5½”,  Cylinders – 20½”x 24”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Weight – 60 tons 5 cwt.,  LNWR Classification – G2A,  LMS & BR Classification – 7F

No.8937 running as a 4-cylinder compound in 1927