Tag Archives: Old Railway Lines

Nynäshamn Railway Museum

 nynashamn-railway-museum-turntable-panorama-2013

Nynäshamn Railway Museum

One of the dilemmas of the preservation of the railway heritage is the wish to save vehicles and installations for the future versus the cost (in dollars and manpower) to prevent it from gradually disappearing.
Luckily, groups of enthusiasts have joined and continue join to create associations with purpose to collect, preserve and show this heritage to the public, often in live operation. These voluntaries then not only contribute to the preservation of the heritage but also contribute to the tourism in the area (not always being thanked for it!). But all this means a lot of work …
This panorama photo from 2013 shows a typical situation for an association:  Many vehicles being worked on; many more collected in various states of degradation, waiting for their turn …

We must not forget, that it’s only thanks to these enthusiasts that we now and in the future have an opportunity to enjoy and take photos of our railway heritage!

Advertisements

Some Early Lines, Old Railway Companies, The Ashby and Nuneaton Joint Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway

58The Ashby & Nuneaton Joint Railway was the only joint MR/L&NWR project. Market Bosworth station, now used as a garage, was, at this time, also the southern limit of the Battlefield Line, which aimed to extend along the track-bed beyond the station towards Shenton and Bosworth battlefield.

The London & North Western Railway proposed a line from Ashby to Nuneaton via Market Bosworth in conjunction with the Nuneaton – Wigston line opened in 1864, but the Midland Railway had already obtained powers for an identical line in 1846, which had lapsed at the time of the purchase of the Leicester & Swannington Railway. Now, however, it revived the plans the result being a joint project, authorised on 1 September 1873, was worked by both partners, becoming part on the London, Midland & Scottish Railway in 1923. Three miles of track-bed between Shackerstone and Market Bosworth are now part of the preserved ‘Battlefield Line’.

Market Bosworth 1905Midland Railway train behind 0-4-4 tank No. 2081 at Market Bosworth in around 1905
http://spellerweb.net

The Battlefield Line is the last remaining part of the former Ashby and Nuneaton Joint Railway which was opened in 1873. It runs from Shackerstone via Market Bosworth to Shenton in Leicestershire and is operated by the Shackerstone Railway Society.

Shackerstone Station is at the northern end of the line, and is the headquarters of the railway with museum, Victorian tea room souvenir shop, loco shed and main rolling stock located here. There is ample free parking, and the Ashby Canal is just a stones throw away.

Our remarkable railway captures the very essence of a country line, with steam, diesel and railcar train services along with small stations meandering along a single track line. It really does convey something of the feeling and atmosphere of heady days past.

For anyone who retains a sense of nostalgia for times gone by, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at this place – one of Leicestershire’s best kept secrets, not just a train ride but a journey into history as well.

DSCF9028 DSCF9035 DSCF9056
http://www.battlefield-line-railway.co.uk/

Railways in Preservation in the 1980s & 1990s, Churnet Valley Railway, December 1993

Railways in Preservation in the 1980s & 1990s

Churnet Valley Railway, December 1993

Super D Consall 2005

Super D Consall 2005

Knotty Unveils 3- Stage Plan

Churnet Valley Railway, at the dawn of turning a 20-year dream into reality in North Staffordshire, have revealed their operational timetable.
A Light Railway Order application was lodged nearly a year ago which has generated only a limited number of objections.
Now the ‘Knotty’ have identified three distinct stages of development.

Consall

Consall

Stage 1Stage 2Stage 3

Cheddleton

2014 – Hasn’t the Knotty done well??!!

Steam Railways in Preservation in the 1980s & 1990s, Irish News, December 1993

Railways in Preservation in the 1980s & 1990s

Irish News, December 1993

800px-GS&WR_No_186_in_PreservationSteam locomotive No.186 in steam at Whitehead, County Antrim, in 2010. 186 was built in 1879 for the Great Southern and Western Railway and is now owned and operated by the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland.
Cc-by new white.svgCc-sa white.svg.  I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following license:  CC some rights reserved.svg   This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.

Untitled-1

Outside_the_Foyle_Valley_Railway_Museum,_Londonderry_-_geograph.org.uk_-_335259Former CDRJC locomotive at the Foyle Valley Railway Museum
Outside the Foyle Valley Railway Museum, Londonderry
Date 1995  Source From geograph.org.uk; transferred by User:oxyman using geograph_org2commons. Author Wilson Adams  Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0

The Phoenix

Steam Railways in Preservation in the 1980s & 1990s, West Lancs new coach, 1993

Steam Railways in Preservation in the

1980s & 1990s

W Lancs CoachW Lancs Text

2014

The West Lancashire Light Railway is a two foot gauge passenger carrying railway located in the village of Hesketh Bank midway between Preston and the resort of Southport. The line features a number of interesting locomotives and other railway equipment brought together from industrial lines in the immediate locality, from elsewhere in Great Britain and from overseas.
The Railway is a non-profit making organisation and is operated and supported by the West Lancashire Light Railway Trust. Volunteers are always needed to help maintain and develop the Railway as well as operating the trains. If you would like to join the Trust and lend a hand you will be made very welcome.
No,21 Stanhope

No,21 Stanhope

This work has been released into the public domain by its author, Sofrqoloe at the wikipedia project. This applies worldwide.

Some Early Lines, Old Railway Companies, Alloa Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Alloa Railway

Authorised on 11 August 1879, this 3-mile branch ran from the Caledonian Railway’s South Alloa branch, across the river Forth to Alloa. The Caledonian Railway paid for the line, absorbing the Company with effect from 1 September 1884, the Act (14 July) also authorising extension. The line opened on 1 October 1885 – the North British Railway had running powers.

57A glassy River Forth and a line of bridge stanchions, reflecting, perhaps, on times past. They once carried the Alloa Railway to the industrial town on the north bank.

The Alloa railway was connected to the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway by a connecting line from Longcarse Junction built by the North British Railway in exchange for reciprocal running powers.

British Railways added a second connection from Longcarse Junction to Alloa Marshalling Yard (parallel with the S&D line) in 1957. This made the turntable at Alloa passenger station redundant.

Alloa Swing Bridge
The swing bridge across the Forth was opened on 1 October 1885. It was subsequently closed twice due to storm damage in 1904/5 and 1920/1.

Old Alloa Station - early 1900s www.scot-rail.co.uk

Old Alloa Station – early 1900s
http://www.scot-rail.co.uk

Steam Railways in Preservation in the 1980s-90s, From Dec 17 1993, Glocestershire Warwickshire Railway

Steam Railways in Preservation in the 1980s-90s – From Dec 17 1993

Glocestershire Warwickshire Railway

Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway - Christmas 1991

Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway – Christmas 1991

 

GWR will be a mile longer before Easter

The Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway will be at least one mile longer when it opens at Easter for the start of its tenth season, Chairman Richard Johnson has pledged in his annual report.
Following a terrifically successful season which has seen the GWR’s membership top 2,000 and a record number of services attract an extra 20% of passengers, Mr. Johnson says that they will be nearer to Cheltenham Racecourse in 1994.
He commented, in the latest edition of the GWR ‘Cornishman’ magazine: ‘The news of the track extension is that the plc Board have had a definite commitment from the Permanent Way Department that an extension of at least one mile will be open by Easter next year.
‘The majority of track is laid and ballast is clean and ready.’
‘The longer our line gets, the more we must ensure that we are able to maintain what we have. The creeping vegetation along the line needs to be kept at bay and those infernal weeds in the track need to be removed once and for all – not just from the running line but also from the yards and sidings. It is one area where we have consistently let ourselves down over the last two years.’
He added that the visit of the ‘Flying Scotsman’ had demonstrated once again that ‘star’ locos do undoubtedly bring in the crowds.
‘A building able to house a number of such locos on a secure and permanent basis will increase our profile yet higher… the endless debate is whether or not available funds should go towards it, or to further track extensions.
‘There is no right answer, both are important.’
The spring season at the GWR will open on a high note with the return of ex-Great Western Hall Class loco ‘Burton Agnes Hall’.

Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway - Cheltenham Racecourse Station - 2013

Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway – Cheltenham Racecourse Station – 2013

DSCF9080

Some Early Lines, Old Railway Companies, Aberdeen Railway

Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies

Aberdeen Railway

Aberdeen, Gateway to Royal Deeside.  LNER/LMS Vintage Travel posyers

Aberdeen, Gateway to Royal Deeside. LNER/LMS Vintage Travel posters http://www.travelpostersonline.com  Frank H.Mason

The Aberdeen Railway was a railway that ran mainly along the North East coast of Scotland south from Aberdeen to Guthrie on the Arbroath and Forfar Railway. There were branches to Montrose and Brechin.

015329_7130a675The sidings and railway lines Aberdeen railway station
View taken from near the top of College Street car park. The station itself is off to the bottom left of the photo.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved] © Copyright Lizzie and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Incorporated on 31 July 1845 for a line from Guthrie (Arbroath and Forfar Railway) to Aberdeen, with branches to Brechin and Montrose, it was promoted by  Great North of Scotland Railway supporters, who arranged for amalgamation should it be thought appropriate.  However, by the time half the capital was paid up and spent, the Companies had drawn apart.  It was worked by the Scottish Central Railway between 12 May 1851 and31 July 1854, and the Company amalgamated with the Scottish Midland Junction Railway on 29 July 1856 to form the Scottish North Eastern Railway, connecting Perth to Aberdeen. This latter company was absorbed by the Caledonian Railway on 10 August 1866, which in turn became part of the LMS on 1 July 1923.

Openings

1 February 1848 – Guthrie (Arbroath and Forfar Railway) to Montrose
1 November 1849 – Dubton to Portlethen
1 April 1850 – Portlethen to Aberdeen Ferryhill
2 August 1853 – Aberdeen Ferryhill to Aberdeen Guild Street

Aberdeen_Railway_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_249839The station currently standing was built as Aberdeen Joint Station between 1913–16, replacing an 1867 structure of the same name, on the same site. The station and the new Denburn Valley Line enabled the main line from the south and the commuter line from Deeside to connect
with the line from the north. The lines from the south had previously terminated at the adjacent Aberdeen Guild Street. Even this had not been Aberdeen’s first railway station, that distinction belonging to a previous terminus a short way south at Ferryhill. After the construction of the Joint Station, Guild Street Station became a goods station. Some of its tracks remain, but the vast majority of the site was cleared in 2005.

This image was taken from the Geograph project collection. See this photograph’s page on the Geograph website for the photographer’s contact details. The copyright on this image is owned by Stanley Howe and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

USA Railways – From Railroad Glory Days

USA Railways

From Railroad Glory Days

Railroad Glory Days

SmokyIt has been a long time since Denver had a visit from Union Pacific 3985.

Railroad Glory Days

MoffatStation2Denver actually has two remaining railroad stations: the well known Union Station, and the long disused Moffat Station shown here in a photo taken yesterday.

Moffat Station was the Denver terminus of David Halliday Moffat’s Denver, Northwestern and Pacific Railroad. This railroad was a latecomer to Denver — construction begun in 1904. It was projected to be the short route between Denver and Salt Lake City. Although the railroad never achieved Moffat’s (1839 – 1911) goal,ending a Craig, it survived long enough to be absorbed into the Denver & Rio Grande Western in 1947.

The station, designed by Edwin Moorman, is said to be predominantly Georgian Revival architecture and was opened to business in 1906. It has been redeveloped for a new use among overwhelming, larger new buildings that constitute Denver’s burgeoning LoDo neighborhood.

Much more about Denver architecture at http://RailroadGloryDays.com/GhostBldgs

Steam Railways in Preservation in the 1980s-90s From May 14, 1993, Two Bulleid Pacifics, two from Festiniog, and 34046 Braunton

Steam Railways in Preservation in the 1980s-90s From May 14, 1993

Two Bulleid Pacifics, two from Festiniog, and 34046 Braunton

2 Bulleids Mid Hants

100 at Festiniog Gwyn Roberts

100 at Festiniog Gwyn Roberts

Braunton in the rough!

Braunton in the rough!  May 14 1993

 

BR(SR) Rebuilt Bulleid Light Pacific locomotive no 34046 Braunton
is owned and operated by Locomotive 34046 Ltd.
It was restored from scrapyard condition to full working order by
West Somerset Restoration at Williton on the West Somerset Railway,
where the locomotive ran for some years.
It is currently in the process of being equipped and certified
for mainline operation on Network Rail.
http://www.34046braunton.co.uk

Braunton GeographNo.34046 ‘Braunton’ at Woldingham November 2013
BR Rebuilt Light Pacific 4-6-2 seen with ‘The Blue Bell Explorer’ for Sheffield Park and Uckfield. No.44932 LMS Class 5MT 4-6-0 was bringing up the rear, required for the return journey from Uckfield.
© Copyright Peter Trimming and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.