Tag Archives: Old Railway Companies

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Stourbridge Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Stourbridge Railway

Stourbridge Junction, 1903. www.stourbridge.com

Stourbridge Junction, 1903.

This was incorporated on 14 June 1860, and before building began, a 5-mile extension to join the Birmingham, Wolverhampton & Stour Valley Railway at Smethwick had been authorised on 6 August 1861. The line was then extended further to the GWR at Handsworth, giving a direct link with both New Street and Snow Hill stations. The Company was closely related with the Oxford, Worcester & Wolverhampton Railway and was worked by it (or more precisely by the West Midland Railway) from opening, to Cradley Heath on 1 April 1863, Old Hill on 1 January 1866 and Smethwick on 1 April 1867. An Act of 16 July 1866 (29/30 Victoria c221) authorised amalgamation with the GWR five years after completion, but this was amended by 32/33 Victoria c109 (12 July 1869) which implied that union could take place earlier, without specifying when. Some authorities take this to be 1870, but working agreements were made on 31 July 1871, unnecessary if amalgamation had already happened. Perhaps 1872, as intended by the original Act, is the answer.

Stourbridge Junction is one of two railway stations serving the town of Stourbridge, in the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley in the West Midlands, England. It lies on the Birmingham to Worcester via Kidderminster Line and is the junction for the Stourbridge Town Branch Line, said to be the shortest operational branch line in Europe. The other station serving Stourbridge is Stourbridge Town at the end of the branch line.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAStourbridge Parry People Mover

RichardRothwell – Own work
A Class 139 unit under trial at Stourbridge Junction, 28 January 2009.

Taken at Stourbridge Junction 9:20 am 28th Jan 2009. The train is undergoing trials, and still does not have the steps in place.
License details   : RichardRothwell at en.wikipedia, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publishes it under the following licenses: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license. Attribution

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – South Wales Mineral Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

South Wales Mineral Railway

DMU under the old tramway viaduct South Wales Mineral Railway at Tonmawr Colliery - Flickr

DMU under the old tramway viaduct South Wales Mineral Railway at Tonmawr Colliery – Flickr

A broad gauge line authorised on 15 August 1853 and engineered by Brunel, it included a rope-worked incline, a 1,109 yard tunnel at Gyfylchi, and gradients of 1 in 22. It ran from Glyncorrwg down the Afan valley to Briton Ferry, and was costly to build. Completion was delayed until 10 March 1863 by the tunnel, but it opened to that point on 1 September 1861. From 25 May 1855 it had been leased to the Glyncorrwg Coal Company for thirty years, but when that failed the railway did too – T.J.Woods, the Official Receiver, kept the line going from 1878-1880, and it remained in his hands for 29 years. By agreement the Port Talbot Railway worked and managed it from 1 January 1908 until Grouping (1923). A passenger service was introduced on 28 March 1918, and though this ceased on 22 September 1930, mineral traffic continued until 1970 on the Abercreggan Sidings – Cymmer Junction section. The tunnel closed on 13 July 1947 following a landslip.
The railway is closed but it now forms part of the Afan Valley Cycleway in the Afan Forest Park.

S outh Wales Mineral Railway - Flickr

South Wales Mineral Railway – Flickr


Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – South Wales Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

South Wales Railway

South Wales Railway - laluciole.net

South Wales Railway – laluciole.net

Incorporated on 4 August 1845, this was supported by the GWR, which was aiming at Ireland. Its first section (Swansea-Chepstow, 75 miles) opened on 18 June 1850. The building of Brunel’s bridge across the Wye delayed opening east to Gloucester until September 1851 (the Company was authorised in 1847 to lease or buy the Forest of Dean Railway, and western extensions opened to Carmarthen on 11 October 1852, to Haverford West on 2 January 1854 and to Neyland on 15 April 1856. The line was leased to the GWR in 1846 at a guaranteed 5% and amalgamated with effect from 1 August 1863. Broad gauge, however, did not suit the valley lines, for which sharp curves were often necessary, and by 1866 freighters were petitioning for conversion; this had reached Cardiff by 1872.
The line now forms part of the South Wales Main Line and Gloucester to Newport Line.

S.Wales BridgeAnother Brunel Relic, this time the bridge across the River Wye at Chepstow, opened by the South Wales Railway in 1851. An up train crosses during rebuilding in 1962 (Rev W.Awdrey)

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Brecon & Merthyr Tydfil Junction Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Brecon & Merthyr Tydfil Junction Railway

An Act of 1 August 1959 authorised the Talybont-Brecon section only, but the rest was sanctioned on 15 May 1860 and 28 July 1862. The line opened from Brecon to Talybont on 23 April 1863, to Merthyr on 1 August 1868 and to Dowlais on 23 June 1869 – the Merthyr-Dowlais section was authorised jointly with the LNWR. Amalgamation with the Hereford Hay & Brecon Railway under an Act dated 5 July 1865 was ruled illegal as improperly processed, and was never re-made. On 28 July 1863 the Company acquired the Rumney Railway in an effort to reach Newport, a link being finally made on 1 September 1868. The Company became a GWR subsidiary in 1922. Beacon, or Summit, tunnel was once the highest in the UK at 1312 ft, with a 7 mile climb at 1 in 38 to the northern portal.

EPSON scanner imageBrecon Free Street station. View westward, towards Neath in 1962
Brecon Station. View westward, towards Neath; ex-GWR Neath & Brecon section. A scene just six months before the whole station and all lines were closed on 31/12/62. For more details, see SO0428 : Brecon Station: activity at the east end.
Ben Brooksbank – From geograph.org.uk  License details
Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0

The line closed to passengers on 31 December 1962 and to goods on 4 May 1964, but it is not dead, for the Pant-Torpantau section now carries the Brecon Mountain Railway – the Pant-Pontsticill section opened 8 June 1980.

EPSON scanner imageEast end of Brecon Free Street in 1949
Brecon Station: activity at the east end. Viewed from the east end of Brecon station, an ex-L&Y 0-6-0, far from its origins ‘Up North’ but now employed on the ex-Midland trains from Hereford, is prominent, while on the left a stopping train leaves for Hereford (hauled by an ex-Midland 0-6-0). However, Brecon station was in the ex-GWR ambit, being the terminus from this (eastward) direction of the ex-Brecon & Merthyr trains from Newport via Torpantau Summit and of the ex-Cambrian Rly Mid-Wales Line trains from Moat Lane Junction, as well as the Hereford trains. Westwards from Brecon ran the ex-Neath & Brecon trains down to Neath. All these lines were closed in 1962 and on 31/12/62 this local metropolis had lost all railway facilities. See SO0428 : Brecon Station for primary picture of Brecon Station, taken on 15/6/62.
Ben Brooksbank – From geograph.org.uk License details
Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0

The end of the Brecon and Merthyr

The line was amalgamated with the Great Western Railway following the Grouping. The ex-B&M system survived nationalisation into British Railways, but most were eventually closed during the 1960s, with all passenger services ending in December 1962. By 1980 only one short section of 10.5 miles (16.9 km) survived, serving coal traffic to Bedwas Navigation Colliery. With the demise of the coal industry in Britain the section between Bedwas and Machen was closed in 1985. The section between Machen and Bassaleg Junction (with the GWR Ebbw Valley line) remains to serve Hanson’s limestone quarry.

The line today

Partial resurrection of the Brecon and Merthyr
In 1980 a private company, the Brecon Mountain Railway, began to build a narrow-gauge steam-hauled tourist line on the existing 5.5-mile (8.9 km) trackbed from Pant through Pontsticill to Dol-y-gaer. The initial section of 1.75 miles (2.82 km) from Pant to Pontsticill opened in June 1980. Passenger services extended to Torpantau in 2014.

Only one B&MR coach has survived into the present day; coach No.111 stands in a private residence.  Only one goods wagon is known to still exist today; privately owned No.197 is currently at the Severn Valley Railway.

No locomotives are known to be preserved to the present day.

National Cycle Network

Some sections of the route have become part of the National Cycle Network. These routes are NCN 4 (Celtic Trail) between Machen and Trethomas, NCN 469 between Bargoed and Fochriw and NCN 8 (Taff Trail) between Torpantau and Talybont Reservoir. The section between Bedwas and Maesycwmmer is being considered to become part of NCN 468.


Welcome to The Brecon Mountain Railway.

The line runs from Pant, near Merthyr Tydfil. Travel in one of our all-weather Observation Carriages, behind a vintage steam locomotive, into the Brecon Beacons National Park to see stunning views of the peaks of the Beacons across the Taf Fechan reservoir.
At Pontsticill you can alight from the train and visit our lakeside cafe, see our new steam museum, admire the view or go for a ramble alongside the reservoir. There is also a children’s play area here. On your return to Pant you can visit the workshop where our steam locomotives are repaired and new ones are built. Our licensed restaurant is open for refreshment, gifts and souvenirs are available from our shop or you may wish to visit our new Traditional sweet shop.


Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Rumney Tramroad

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Rumney Tramroad

Incorporated on 20 May 1825, this 21¾ mile plateway built by George Overton to a gauge of 4ft 2in ran from the Rhymney Ironworks to the Monmouthshire Railway at what later became Bassaleg Junction. Like the Sirhowy and the Monmouthshire Railways it delayed the change to proper railwayhood too long; re-incorporated on August 1st 1861, with working agreement with the West Midland Railway, it began conversion in 1863. It was, however, too great a task for the company’s finances, and it sold out on 28 July 1863 to the Brecon & Merthyr Tydfil Junction Railway, which used it to continue its own drive towards Newport. This section was taken over by the GWR with effect from 1 July 1922 and closed to passengers on 31 December 1962.

Rumney RailwayRelic of the Rumney Railway, Bedwas
The girder in the bridge carrying Rectory Road over the trackbed of a dismantled railway line to Bedwas Navigation Colliery has Rumney Railway 1855 stamped on its side. The Rumney Railway was originally an industrial tramway, built from 1826. It was later converted to a standard gauge railway.
© Copyright Jaggery and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
EPSON scanner imageSite of Aberbargoed Station
View westward across Rhymney Valley. Station was in foreground, on ex-Great Western (Rhymney Rly.) ‘Old Rumney’ line, (Newport) – Bassaleg Junction – Risca – New Tredegar – Rhymney. The station was closed completely along with the line on 31/12/62 (in 1930 beyond New Tredegar).
© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Rhymney Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Rhymney Railway

Rhymney Seal

The Company was incorporated on 24 July 1854 to build a 9.5 mile line from Rhymney Ironworks to a junction with the Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford Railway at Hengoed. Powers to extend to the Taff Vale Railway at Taff’s Well were obtained in 1855, and a line from Crockherbstown to Bute E. Dock. Lack of capital and escalating costs made early years difficult – the Dock line opened in September 1857, but was not linked with the main line, which opened on 25 February 1858 (goods), 31 March (passengers). Trouble flared with the Taff’s Vale Railway over the shared Crockherbstown line, and on 25 July 1864 the Company obtained powers for a direct Cardiff – Caerphilly route and granted running powers to the London & North Western Railway – it opened officially on 5 September 1871, and to the public on 2 October. The 9-mile Taff – Bargoed line, built jointly with the Great Western Railway, opened for goods on 20 December 1875, and to passengers on 2 February 1876. The Company went to the GWR as a constituent in 1922, and the former loco works at Caerphilly was  the home of the Caerphilly Railway Society. The Society is now based at the Gwili Railway in Carmarthen, having moved due to continuing vandalism.

Llanbradach Footbridge Plate, Rhymney Railway

Llanbradach Footbridge Plate, Rhymney Railway

On display in the Chasewater Railway Museum

Llanbradach Station

Llanbradach Station

Looking north along platform 2 at Llanbradach railway station
This view suggests that there is only one platform at Llanbradach station.
This is not so – the opposite platform is located beyond the connecting footbridge Link about 100 metres away.
© Copyright Jaggery and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Teign Valley Line

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Christow, Teign Valley Railway

Christow, Teign Valley Railway

Teign Valley Railway

This line, authorised on 13 July 1863 in broad gauge between Bovey Tracey and Doddiscombesleigh, needed nine Acts before it finally opened on 9 October 1882, standard gauge between Heathfield (South Devon & Moretonhampstead Railway) and Ashton. An extension to Teign House, Christow was opened later. The line was built under GWR protection (the L&SWR had expressed interest), and the GWR worked it, despite its isolation, until the conversion of the SD&MR to standard gauge (23 May 1892). Ashton station had a timber platform and a raised causeway for access when the River Teign flooded, and the site of Chudleigh station is now beneath the A38 trunk road. The Exeter Railway gave the line a link to Exeter in 1903. The last passenger train ran on 7 August 1958, the last goods to Christow on 1 May 1961, the line closing completely on 4 December 1967.

Heathfield Junction,Devon. 1970

Heathfield Junction,Devon. 1970

Rosser1954 Devon, England. Licensing:  I, the copyright holder of this work, release this work into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Mid-Wales Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Mid-Wales Railway

Mid Wales Railway RhyaderRhayader (Mid-Wales Railway) lost its train service (officially) on 31 December 1962, an event perhaps foreshadowed by the right-hand poster on the end wall, headed ‘TRANSPORT ACT’ which was possibly giving notice of closure. Prospects for the station seemed as dismal as the weather.


Llanidloes StnLlanidloes station, with southbound Mid-Wales line train
View northward, towards Moat Lane Junction: ex-Cambrian Railway Mount Lane – Builth – Three Cocks line. Back in 1949, ex-Cambrian or ex-GW 0-6-0’s worked most of the traffic on this line, which was closed on 31/12/62 although goods traffic continued as far as Llanidloes until 4/5/64. No. 2483 is a GW ‘Dean Goods’ 0-6-0 (built 5/1896, withdrawn 9/52).
© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The line was authorised in two sections – the Northern end, Llandiloes-Llandovery, on 1 August 1859, the Southern length (Newbridge-on-Wye to Three Cocks) on 3 July 1860. The Company also gained control of the Three Cocks – Talyllyn section, hitherto owned by the HH&BR. The first sod was cut in a downpour on 2 September, but further work on the 46.75 miles was delayed until 1862. Formal opening took place on 23 August 1864, and the line opened to goods on 1 September. The Company worked the HH&BR while that company was sorting out its ‘illegal’ amalgamation with the B&MTJR, but then had money trouble. Locomotives and rolling stock were sold, WA with the Cambrian Railway were signed, with effect from 2 April 1888, and vesting followed from 24 June 1904. The line was used intensively for coal traffic going north to Scapa Flow during the Great War.

Three cocks JnThree Cocks Junction Station, with Hereford – Brecon train
View NE, towards Hereford to the right by the ex-Midland line; ahead to the left the ex-Cambrian Mid-Wales Line joined from Moat Lane Junction via Builth Wells and both continued to Brecon – to the left. The train from Hereford is headed by ex-Midland 3F 0-6-0 No. 43600.
© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The Mid-Wales Railway (MWR) was an early railway company operating in Mid-Wales. It was a constituent part of the Cambrian Railways.
Parliament had authorised both the MWR and the Manchester and Milford Railway to connect Llanidloes to Aberystwyth, and so the M&MR had prioritised construction in the Llanidloes area. Eventually an agreement was reached to form the joint Llanidloes and Newtown Railway, which extended 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south to Pentrabane junction, where the MWR and M&MR’s short-lived Llangurig branch diverged. The L&NR opened its line in 1859, enabling through working to and from the MWR line.

EPSON scanner imageBuilth Road (Low Level) Station
View SE, towards Three Cocks Junction and Brecon; ex-Cambrian, Mid-Wales line, Brecon – Three Cocks Junction – Moat Lane Junction. The station and the line throughout were closed completely on 31/12/62, but the goods yard here remained connected to the High Level line until 6/9/65.
© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

The MWR worked the line of the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway from 1 October 1868 until that company was taken over by the Midland Railway on 1 October 1869. The line from Builth Road to Llandovery was not built, but a connection to the Central Wales Extension Railway was completed on 1 November 1866, enabling goods trains to run to and through that station.
At Brecon, following the initial opening of three separate stations, a joint station was created at Free Street.
At Llanidloes railway station, the grand junction building that was created in anticipation of M&MR traffic which never materialised, since the Mid Wales Railway never completed their section of the Llangurig – Strata Florida – Aberystwyth line.

Rhayader_stationRhayader station, Powys, shortly before closure in 1962

3 January 2010 – Flying Stag  This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – The Newtown and Machynlleth Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

The Newtown and Machynlleth Railway

The Newtown and Machynlleth Railway (N&MR) was a short railway created to allow the Oswestry and Newtown Railway and the Mid-Wales Railway access the Mid-Wales market town of Machynlleth, from their communal station at Newtown, Powys. Crossing the River Severn and the Cambrian Mountains, completed in 1863 it became part of the Cambrian Railways system in 1864.

Machynlleth StationMachynlleth station still sports much that is original on 28 May 1988, though as this picture was taken came news that it was for sale. The train shown had arrived late after a breakdown, and, having terminated, was about to return to Euston. (Allan Mott)

In July 1864 the line was absorbed into the Cambrian Railways. Cambrian Railways were absorbed by the Great Western Railway on 1 January 1922 as a result of the Railways Act 1921, and became part of British Railways in 1948.
There was an accident in the Talerddig cutting on 18 January 1921, of which several pictures survive. Hence, even since the first track rationalisation of the line during the 1970s, there remains to this day a passing loop on this single track line at the site of Talerddig station, retained in the need to “pin down” the brakes on freight trains over the summit, and now a critical operational node for passing passenger trains.[4]
Talerddig cutting
A significant civil engineering achievement on the line is the Talerddig cutting through solid rock. With a depth of 120 feet (37 m), it was the deepest cutting in the world at the time of its completion in 1862. For safety reasons, the original near-vertical sides have since been trimmed back.

Talerddig_cutting_-_geograph.org.uk_-_856895Talerddig cutting
The means by which the Newtown and Machynlleth Railway (which became a constituent of the Cambrian Railways) breached the Cambrian Mountains to head for the coast. Compared with SH9200 : Railway Cutting at the summit of Talerddig bank there’s been some extensive regrowth.
© Copyright Nigel Brown and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Today, after the closure during the Beeching Axe of much of the former-Cambrian system, the entire length of the N&MR remains open as part of Network Rail’s Cambrian Line, operated by the Class 158 DMUs of Arriva Trains Wales.

1024px-Machynlleth_Station_with_eastbound_local_train_geograph-2545274-by-Ben-BrooksbankMachynlleth Station with eastbound local train
View westward, down the Dovey Valley towards Dovey Junction, then Aberystwyth/Barmouth and Pwllheli. The locomotive is one of the first Churchward ‘4500’ 2-6-2T, No. 4501 (built 11/06 as No. 2162).
© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Newtown StationNewtown: station buildings
The main station buildings on the Up (eastbound) platform at Newtown / Y Drenewydd.  © Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.


Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Mitcheldean Road & Forest of Dean Junction Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Mitcheldean Road & Forest of Dean Junction Railway

Dean Forest RlyA substantial stone overbridge near Drybrook (Mitcheldean Road & Forest of Dean Junction Railway). This section opened on 4 November 1907, but closed 0n 7 July 1930. Note the bridge-rail fencing, still extant in August 1988.

This was incorporated on 13 July 1871 to extend the Bullo Pill Railway ( an early British railway, completed in 1810 to carry coal mined in the Forest of Dean Coalfield to a port on the River Severn near Newnham, Gloucestershire. It was later converted to a broad gauge steam line by the Great Western Railway, and was closed in the 1960s) to the Hereford, Ross & Gloucester (both qv) at Mitcheldean Road, 4.75 miles away. Heavy engineering was involved and the line was never finished, despite the company’s absorption by the GWR under an Act dated 6 August 1880. The first 1.75 miles to Speedwell opened in July 1885, and to Drybrook on 4 November 1907, but the rest, though built and maintained, was not. Unused track went for scrap in 1917.
The Mitcheldean Road & Forest of Dean Junction Railway (MR&FoDJR) was a railway which ran for 3 1⁄4 miles (5.2 km) from the former Mitcheldean Road railway station on the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester Railway to a junction at Whimsey near Cinderford.
On 6 August 1880 the company was acquired by the Great Western Railway which completed the line but never opened it to traffic.
The line was later lifted beyond Drybook, although a small section between Drybrook Halt and Drybrook Quarry was relaid in 1928. Drybrook Halt was the northern terminus of a GWR railmotor service from Newnham which ran from 1907 to 1930. The line was closed again in 1952.
A short section of the trackbed at the northern end is used by the narrow gauge Lea Bailey Light Railway.

Loop and Shed at Lea Bailey Light Railway

Loop and Shed at Lea Bailey Light Railway

The Lea Bailey Light Railway is a 2 ft (610 mm) narrow gauge heritage railway in the United Kingdom. It is built on the site of a former gold mine which was started by the Chastan Syndicate in 1906. Having sold 75,000 shares at £1 GBP each, test workings at Lea Bailey and nearby Staple Edge concluded that the small amount of gold present could not be extracted economically. The syndicate was wound up in 1908.
The mine was later extended and some 3000 tons of iron ore were extracted — a small amount compared to the 150,000 tons extracted from the nearby Wigpool Ironstone Mine.
An attempt was made in 2003 by the owners of Clearwell Caves to open the mine as a tourist attraction, but this was ultimately unsuccessful. In 2012, a small group from the Royal Forest of Dean Caving Club discovered the mine and a quantity of disused railway equipment and proposed to the owners that a volunteer-led project could start work on restoring the site. As of 2014, two locomotives and a number of wagons have been moved to Lea Bailey from storage at Clearwell Caves or the nearby Hawthorn Tunnel.
In 2013 the Lea Bailey Light Railway Society was formed; its members act as volunteers, undertaking all aspects of work on the site. A regular free newsletter is produced and sent out by e-mail.

Lea Bailey Railway

Lea Bailey Railway