Tag Archives: Locomotive

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1913 – Glover 4-4-2T & 4-4-0 – Great Northern Railway of Ireland

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1913 – Glover 4-4-2T & 4-4-0

Great Northern Railway of Ireland

No.199 as running in 1953No.199 as running in 1953 after receiving the name ‘Lough Derg’ and the blue livery.

G.T.Glover’s first design for the GNR was a series of 4-4-2Ts for suburban work.  Five engines, No. 185-9, came out in 1913.  A 4-4-0 tender version for cross country work, with identical dimensions, Nos. 196-200, followed in 1915.  Ten more of the 4-4-2Ts with increased boiler pressure were built in 1921, Nos. 1-5, a further ten in 1924, Nos. 21, 30, 115, 116, 139, 142-4, 147, and 148 (the last two later became 67 and 69) whilst in 1929 came Nos. 62-6.

The 4-4-0 version was revived in 1947 by the building of an additional five engines, Nos. 201-5.  The design was unchanged except for increase of boiler pressure and a modified tender, and the construction at so late a date of inside-cylindered 4-4-0s of such a neat appearance more in keeping with the earlier years of the century was somewhat remarkable.  The new engines were named after Irish counties and painted in express passenger blue with scarlet frames, which treatment was also accorded to the original 4-4-0s, which had hitherto been plain black.  At the same time these were also given names, after Irish ‘Loughs’.  All of them, both 4-4-0 and 4-4-2T varieties, were still in service in 1959.

4-4-2T (1913) – Driving wheels – 5’ 9”,  Cylinders – 18”x 24”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Tractive effort – 16763 lb.,  Weight – 65 tons 4 cwt.,  Classification – T1

4-4-2T (1924) – Driving wheels – 5’ 9”,  Cylinders – 18”x 24”,  Pressure – 200 lb.,  Tractive effort – 19158 lb.,  Weight – 65 tons 15 cwt.,  Classification – T2

4-4-0 (1915) – Driving wheels – 5’ 9”,  Cylinders – 18”x 24”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Tractive effort – 16763 lb.,  Weight – 44 tons 6 cwt.,  Classification – U

4-4-0 (1947) – Driving wheels – 5’ 9”,  Cylinders – 18”x 24”,  Pressure – 200 lb.,  Tractive effort – 19158 lb.,  Weight – 46 tons,  Classification – U

Omagh_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_332912Omagh railway station, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. GNR Class U 4-4-0 locomotive 204 Antrim departs with a passenger train as a GNR diesel railcar stands at the station.  Date 7 June 1957 7 June 1957 

  The copyright on this image is owned by Wilson Adams and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

 

Some Early Lines Sheringham (North Norfolk Railway) railway station

Some Early Lines

Sheringham (North Norfolk Railway) railway station

2013_05200205Photo by Val Daft

The North Norfolk Railway offers a 10.5 mile round trip by steam train (vintage diesel trains on some journeys) through a delightful area of North Norfolk designated as being of outstanding natural beauty. To the south are wooded hills and the Norfolk beauty spots of Kelling Heath and Sheringham Park. To the north, the sea. All within easy walking distance from the various stations. The flowers are a sight to see throughout the year. In spring and early summer there are primroses, bluebells and the yellow gorse. Later in the year the poppies abound and are set off by the mauve heathers. Enjoy a ride on an historic steam train – you can break your journey to look around the stations and marvel at the steam laden atmosphere from a bygone age.

But the North Norfolk Railway is much more than a train ride. There are historic stations, a museum of the railway’s history, a museum signal box and a children’s activity carriage. There are also buffets and souvenir shops.

2013_05200207Photo by Val Daft

  Sheringham is the name of a preserved railway station in Sheringham, Norfolk. It was once part of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway network. Since its closure as part of the Beeching Axe, it has served as the eastern terminus of the North Norfolk Railway. Since March 2010, the link to Network Rail was reinstated.

History

The station was first opened in 16 June 1887 by the Eastern and Midlands Railway as part of the Cromer Branch linking the Norfolk Coast to the junction at Melton Constable railway station. In 1893 this was merged into the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway Network. On 6 April 1964 in the wake of the Beeching Report, the line to Melton Constable was closed to passengers. Withdrawal of goods services from that line (as well as from Sheringham itself) followed on 28 December 1964. Sheringham station remained open for passengers until 2 January 1967, when it was closed upon the opening of a new station for passengers on the opposite side of Station Road, enabling the level crossing to be closed.

In 1970, the station was re-opened as part of the North Norfolk Railway, which runs along the old Cromer Branch route as far as Holt railway station. Another Sheringham railway station exists on the National Rail network, just across the road from the NNR station.

North_Norfolk_Truro‘City of Truro’ at Holt, North Norfolk Railway. Taken by James@hopgrove, August 2005.

Author Original uploader was James@hopgrove at en.wikipedia

Released into the public domain (by the author).

Licensing:   This work has been released into the public domain by its author, James@hopgrove at the wikipedia project. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:  James@hopgrove grants anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

(Sorry Godfrey – couldn’t make it that day!! – John)

 Connection to the National Rail network

Between 2007 and 2010, work was undertaken to reinstate the original level crossing across the road to allow trains from Norwich to run onto the North Norfolk Railway heritage line tracks. BBC Look East reported on 17 December 2007 that Network Rail supported the level crossing plans to allow occasional use for trains to cross between tracks. It was announced by the North Norfolk Railway on 16 December 2008, that work was going to start on the new level crossing in January 2009. These plans were later delayed until 2010 due to various problems, including: lack of funding, electricity cables needing to be moved, the county’s highways department concerns with the implications of road closure to create the crossing.

800px-The_second_train_to_use_the_crossing_at_Sheringham_24_04_2010_(3)British Rail class 37 (No:37423) was the second train to cross the new re-instated level crossing that links the North Norfolk Railway with the rail network.

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following license:  This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.

Work began on 8 January 2010, with the moving of the NNR headshunt to slew into line with the Network Rail section. The link was reinstated on 11 March 2010, when the first passenger carrying train over the new crossing was steam locomotive ‘Oliver Cromwell’ hauling a train from London Liverpool Street.Occasional uses by charter trains and visiting rolling stock are anticipated to not exceed 12 times a year.

800px-Locomotive70013OliverCromwellNNR11March2010Preserved British Railways Standard Class 7MT lcomotive number 70013 Oliver Cromwell approaching Weybourne on the North Norfolk Railway on 11 March 2010 to celebrate re-connection of the NNR to the national railway network.

Date 11 March 2010  Author Andy F  Licensing:

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following license:  This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.

Video from tordy64

http://www.nnrailway.co.uk/

A fantastic free day out National Railway Museum

A fantastic free day out  

National Railway Museum

Opening Times
10am–6pm daily
FREE ENTRY

Dwight_D._Eisenhower

Dwight D. Eisenhower’s cosmetic restoration in now complete. After travelling over 2,500 miles across the Atlantic, Dwight’s journey to join the Mallard 75 celebrations is nearly over. The loco’s current B.R Green livery has been refreshed and over 70 litres of paint and varnish were used to ensure the historic loco is on top form for July’s event. Dwight can be seen from our workshop balcony while the varnish dries and will then be moved into our Great Hall. Fellow A4 loco, Union of Canada, is also receiving a makeover and can be seen at our sister museum in Shildon. Keep an eye on our website for more Mallard 75 related news.

www.nrm.org.uk

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1899 – Worsdell 4-6-0 – North Eastern Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1899 – Worsdell 4-6-0 – North Eastern Railway

2113 - B14No. 2113 of the 6’ 8¼” class running in early days.  Both classes were very little altered during their existence.

These engines were notable as being the first passenger engines of the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement in this country, a type which was to become almost universal in later years on most larger Companies for main line passenger service.  The first ten engines, Nos. 2001-10, turned out in 1899 and 1900, had coupled wheels of 6’ 1¼” diameter, and although considered on the small side in those days for express working, they showed themselves capable of a fair turn of speed.  Nevertheless five similar engines, but with 6’ 8¼” wheels came out in 1901, numbered 2111-15.  A further thirty of the 6’ 1¼” variety came out in 1906-9, all except one carrying numbers between 726 and 775, the odd one being No. 1077.  These later engines differed slightly from the earlier ones in having much thicker framing over the driving wheels, and smaller splashers.

Although designed as express passenger engines, the 6’ 1¼” class did not do a great deal of this class of work, and they very soon took second place to the R Class 4-4-0s and later the Atlantics.  Latterly they were used principally on express freight traffic.  They were taken out of service between 1928 and 1938, but No.761 was retained for use as a dummy counter-pressure engine in conducting tests at Darlington (and later at Rugby) works, and was not scrapped until 1951.  Since 1946 it had been No.1699.  The 6’ 8¼” engines disappeared between 1929 and 1931; they were extremely handsome machines, but for some reason never seemed to appear much in the limelight.

B13 – Driving wheels – 6’ 1¼”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”,  Pressure – 200 lb.,  Weight – 66 tons,  NER classification – S,  LNER classification – B13

B14 – Driving wheels – 6’ 8¼”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”,  Pressure – 200 lb.,  Weight – 67 tons 2 cwt,  NER classification – S1,  LNER classification – B14

1699

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1899 – Worsdell 4-4-0 – North Eastern Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1899 – Worsdell 4-4-0 – North Eastern Railway

476No. 476 as running in 1936

These engines were an enlargement of W. Worsdell’s Classes M and Q and were undoubtedly the finest of all the NER 4-4-0s.  In all sixty of them were built. Nos.2011-30 and 2101-10 in 1899-1901, followed by thirty others in 1906-7, with scattered numbers, mostly in the 700s and 1200s.  They took their turn on main line expresses for many years, and were all eventually superheated.

62349      Formerly 2020                                                                                                                            In 1936 No. 2020 was rebuilt with long-travel piston valves and other modernised details.  At the same time it had its running plate raised clear of the coupled wheels, completely spoiling the handsome appearance of these engines.  Fortunately, although one or two others were also modernised, they retained the decorative splashers which are so much responsible for their good looks.

A few of the class had gone by 1943, and those that remained were then renumbered 2340-97.  Most of these lasted to have 60000 added to their numbers under BR auspices and several of the class lasted until 1957.

A larger edition of the design appeared in 1908, Class R1, and consisted of ten engines, Nos. 1237-46.  As sometimes happens in these cases, the enlarged machines never attained the brilliance of the originals, and all disappeared between 1942 and 1946.

Class R – Driving wheels – 6’ 10”,  Cylinders – 19”x 26”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Tractive effort – 17026 lb.,     Weight – 54 tons 2 cwt.,  NER classification – R,  LNER classification – D20

Class R1 – Driving wheels – 6’ 10”,  Cylinders – 19”x 26”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Tractive effort – 17026 lb.,     Weight – 59 tons,  NER classification – R1,  LNER classification – D21

2384

 

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1899 – American 2-6-0 Midland Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1899 – American 2-6-0

Midland Railway

One of the Baldwin engines, MR 2506, later 2205, which was broken up in 1913.

About the turn of the 19th/20th century there was a considerable demand for more engines by many of the major companies which could not be immediately met either in their own workshops or by the various private firms of locomotive builders.  As a temporary expedient, therefore, three railways, namely the Midland, the Great Northern and the newly formed Great central, ordered some 2-6-0s from the Baldwin and Schenectady works of the USA, forty for the Midland Railway and twenty each for the other two lines.

Although of the same general design, they differed slightly in detail, some having two domes, as in the example illustrated above.  The 2-6-0 type, which had long been used in America, was almost, but not quite, new to this country, the Great Eastern having had some very unsuccessful examples built in 1878 to the design of W. Adams before he went to the LSWR; the small Midland and South Western Junction Railway also acquired two of an Australian design from Beyer Peacock in 1895-7, one of which later survived at a colliery in Northumberland until the 1940s.

The new 2-6-0s did not have a very long life on any of the three lines which acquired them, and all disappeared between 1909 and 1915.  They had several features, in particular the bar frames, which were common American practice but alien to the standards of this country.

The Midland engines, at first numbered 2501-40, became respectively 2200-9, 2230-9, and 2210-29 at the 1907 renumbering.

Driving wheels – 5’ 1½”,  Pony wheels – 3’ 0”,  Cylinders – 18”x 24”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Weight 45 tons.

No.2516 – Howden Boys Book of Locomotives, 1907

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1898 ‘Atlantics’ Great Northern Railway – London Brighton & South Coast Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1898 ‘Atlantics’

Great Northern Railway – London Brighton & South Coast Railway

990 in early LNER days

H.A.Ivatt’s No.990, which emerged from Doncaster Works in the summer of 1898, was the first 4-4-2 tender engine to run in this country.  This type had already established a firm footing in the USA, and this was no doubt the reason for the nickname ‘Atlantic’ which has always been applied to engines of this wheel arrangement.

No.990 subsequently received the name ‘Henry Oakley’ and was unique in that it was the only GNR engine ever to bear a name until almost the close of that Company’s independent life, when Gresley’s two ‘Pacifics’, which appeared in 1922, were likewise honoured.

After extended trials with 990, ten more of the class were built in 1900, Nos.949, 950 and 982-9.

No.271, which followed in 1902, was a much more powerful engine, in that although similar in appearance to the 990s, it was provided with four high pressure cylinders in place of the two carried by the earlier examples.  It remained the only engine of its class, and after various modifications it ended up with two inside cylinders only, in the form in which it remained until scrapped in 1936.4433 in early LNER days

Also in 1902 appeared No.251, the pioneer of the larger and better known class of Atlantics which did so much yeoman service on the GNR main line for very many years.  This engine was provided with a much bigger boiler, and was the largest passenger engine in the country at the time.  Another essential difference between the new engine and the ‘small Atlantics’ was the wide firebox extending over the whole width of the frames.  The large grate which it was thus possible to provide was one of the contributory reasons for the success of the design.  Whilst 251 was undergoing trials ten more of the small class appeared in 1903, Nos. 250 and 252-60, after which the enlarged version came out in considerable numbers between 1904 and 1910, eventually totalling 94 engines.  The numbers were 251, 272-301, 1300, and 1400-61.  The last ten were built new with superheaters and had sundry other improvements.  Eventually the remainder of the class was also superheated.

There were a few add deviations from the standard design amongst these engines.  No. 292 was built as a 4-cylinder compound, and was scrapped as such in 1927.  No. 1421 also started as a 4-cylinder compound, but was converted to a standard 2-cylinder simple in 1921.  No. 279 was rebuilt as a 4-cylinder in 1915, but reverted to two cylinders in 1928.  No. 1419 acquired a ‘booster’ to the trailing wheels in 1923, a small auxiliary engine to assist in starting, but this was not greatly successful, and the apparatus was later removed.  Finally, No. 1300, which was a 4-cylinder compound constructed by the Vulcan Foundry in 1905, and which differed considerably from the standard class in appearance, was converted to 2-cylinder simple in 1917, and scrapped in 1924, the first of the class to go.

By 1946 all of the small-boilered Atlantics had been taken out of service, and withdrawal of the large ones had already begun in 1945.  All except Nos. 292 and 1300, however, were included in the 1946 renumbering scheme as 2800-91, although many of them never actually carried these numbers.  Seventeen survived to be incorporated in BR stock in 1948, but only No. 62822 was actually renumbered as such.  This engine, the last to remain in traffic, was scrapped in 1950.

The originals of both small and large designs, Nos. 990 and 251, have been preserved in their old GNR colours, but No. 990 is not exactly in its original condition, as it acquired, in common with others of its class, an extended smokebox.

When D.E.Marsh, who had been at Doncaster when the ‘251’ class came out, and probably had a hand in their design, went to the LBSCR, he built eleven almost exactly similar engines for that line, Nos. 37-41, originally un-superheated, in 1905, and another six, with superheaters, in 1911-12, Nos. 421-6.  Most of the latter outlasted their GNR antecedents, one of them remaining in service until 1958 as BR No. 32424.  This was the last ‘Atlantic’ type engine in regular service in this country.3258 pic by M.Peirson – LNER Encyclopedia

Dimensions as finally running:

GNR 990 class – Driving wheels – 6’ 8”,  Cylinders – 19”x 24”,  Pressure – 170 lb.,  Tractive effort – 15649 lb.,  Weight – 60 tons,  LNER classification – C2,  LBSC & SR classification – NA,  BR classification – NA

GNR 251 class – Driving wheels – 6’ 8”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”,  Pressure – 170 lb.,  Tractive effort – 18735 lb.,  Weight – 70 tons,  LNER classification – C1,  LBSC & SR classification – NA,  BR classification – 2P

 LBSC 37-41 – Driving wheels – 6’ 7½”,  Cylinders – 19”x 26”,  Pressure – 200 lb.,  Tractive effort – 20070 lb.,  Weight – 68¼ tons,  LNER classification – NA,  LBSC & SR classification – H1,  BR classification – 4P

LBSC 421-6 – Driving wheels – 6’ 7½”,  Cylinders – 21”x 26”,  Pressure – 200 lb.,  Tractive effort – 24520 lb.,  Weight – 68¼ tons,  LNER classification – NA,  LBSC & SR classification – H2,  BR classification – 4P

GNR 4-4-2 Class C2 “Klondyke” no. 990 “Henry Oakley” at Doncaster Works open day on 27th July 2003.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation