Tag Archives: LNER

Steam Locomotives of a Leisurely Era – 1935 A4 Pacifics London & North Eastern Railway

Steam Locomotives of a Leisurely Era
1935 A4 Pacifics
London & North Eastern Railway


'Mallard' as originally built

‘Mallard’ as originally built

When the question of providing a high-speed service between London and Newcastle in the early 1930s was being mooted, the question of utilising a diesel-electric train was at one time seriously considered, but as this would have given neither the desired standard of comfort nor the required speed, the idea was dropped. It was decided to use conventional type of rolling stock with steam propulsion and a certain amount of streamlining to reduce wind pressure at the high speeds contemplated, as Sir Nigel Gresley assured the directors that he could produce an engine and train which would amply cover the requirements. His ‘Silver Link’, which appeared in 1935, was in effect an improved version of his already successful ‘Pacific’ design, but greatly altered in appearance. The now familiar wedge-shaped streamline casing was certainly startling at the time.
The first four engines, Nos.2509-12, soon showed themselves fully capable of doing all that was required, and in 1937 further examples were built for working the even more ambitious high speed non-stop ’Coronation’ between London and Edinburgh. Eventually the class consisted of 35 engines, Nos.2509-12, 4462-9, 4482-4500 and 4900-3. No.4498 was named ‘Sir Nigel Gresley’ after its designer.

Sir Nigel Gresley at Bridgnorth

Sir Nigel Gresley at Bridgnorth

The exploits of these remarkable engines is comparatively recent history and needs no repetition here, but the 126 mph speed attained by No.4468 ‘Mallard’ in July 1938 remains to this day a world record for steam which can be substantiated. A claim of 127 mph by a Pennsylvania ‘Atlantic’ in 1905 seems to have been based upon somewhat flimsy evidence and can hardly be accepted.

Union of South Africa - Shildon 2014

Union of South Africa – Shildon 2014

No.4469 was destroyed at York in 1842 in an air raid, but the remainder were renumbered 1-34 in 1946 although not in chronological order. They duly became BR 60001-34 and were still in service in 1959. In recent years the valances over the driving wheels have been cut away to give easier access to the motion, and most of them have now Kylchap blast pipes and double chimneys, which were originally fitted to Nos.4468 and 4901-3.

Sir Nigel Gresley leaving Highley

Sir Nigel Gresley leaving Highley

Driving wheels – 6’ 8”, Cylinders (3) – 18½”x 26”, Pressure – 250 lb., Tractive effort – 35455 lb., Weight – 103 tons, LNER classification – A4, BR classification – 8P6F

Mallard at Shildon - 2014

Mallard at Shildon – 2014

Some Early Lines – The LNER also operated trams.

Some Early Lines

The LNER also operated trams.


The Grimsby & Immingham Electric Tramway was opened by the GCR in 1912 to provide transport for Immingham dockworkers. Seven miles long, the line started at Corporation Bridge, Grimsby, and ran the first mile in the public street and then into open country. The GCR’s single deck bogie cars had a central area for milk and merchandise. It was a line of great character, but closed down in favour of buses on July 1st, 1961. Car No.16 stands at the tramway station in Corporation Road, Grimsby, on 23rd May 1953. Car No.14 was in the care of the National Tramway Museum, in store awaiting restoration (1986).
Photo: O.H.Prosser.

Railway Miscellany – Steam Speed Records

Railway Miscellany

 Steam Speed Records

2007_0516York Rly Museum 18

In 1804, when Richard Trevithick’s pioneering locomotive made its journey along the Penydarren tramroad, its inventor operated the controls by walking along the track in front of it.  In a letter the following day, Trevithick recorded that ‘The train while working went nearly five miles per hour’ no more than a brisk walking pace.  This was perhaps the first ever steam speed record.

When ‘Locomotion’ ran from Shildon to Stockton 21 years later, it could only outdistance riders on horseback because marshes alongside the line impeded the horses.  At full speed the locomotive could just manage 15 mph.

At the Rainhill Trials in 1829, Stephenson’s ‘Rocket’ achieved 29 mph.  This was eclipsed in tragic circumstances the following year, when ‘Northumbrian’ reached 36 mph as it conveyed the dying MP William Huskinson to Eccles after he had been run over by ‘Rocket’ at Parkside.

The contestants’ achievements at Rainhill were carefully recorded.  Later it became difficult to establish accurate claims as speeds increased and railways spread throughout the world.

Unlike world speed records on land and in the air, there are no international standards for railways.  For example, the effect of a strong following wind has never been taken into account and on almost every occasion a record breaking train was appreciably assisted by gravity.  This applies equally to the TGV’s present world record of 320.2 mph as to ‘Mallard’s’ 126 mph in 1938.

Speed records were usually obtained by stop-watch measurements from mile or kilometre posts.  In some cases the speed claimed at the time was later adjusted after the information had been examined further.

The performance of the Milwaukee Road’s Hiawatha expresses in the 1930s was accurately measured and the 112 mph record by the streamlined Atlantic N0. 2 in 1925 was adequately proved.

During the 1930s, there was considerable rivalry over maximum speeds between the LNER and the LMS.  In 1937, the LMS claimed a maximum of 114 mph on the press run of their Coronation Scot streamliner train.  This would have beaten ‘Silver Link’s’ record but the figure was not confirmed by a number of experienced recorders on the train.  This left ‘Coronation’ sharing the record of 112 mph with the LNER A4 and Milwaukee Atlantic.

By 1936 the German Pacific No. 05.002 reached 124.5 mph and in 1938, ‘Mallard’ achieved an historic all-time record for steam of 126 mph.Table

All the fully authenticated world records achieved by steam locomotives are the maximum speed attained, rather than averages.  Some top speeds, like ‘Mallards’ were sustained only for a few yards.8205

Although a record of 74 mph was achieved by a GWR locomotive in 1846, it was not until 1931 that the company ran trains at such speeds in everyday service.  The Cheltenham Flyer was the first train in the history of railways to average regularly over 70 mph.  On 14 September 1931, the express sweeps through Tilehurst, Berkshire on its way to London.

Steam Locomotives of a Leisurely Era – The Great Central ‘Directors’

Steam Locomotives of a Leisurely Era

 The Great Central ‘Directors’

Casey Jones

1 No. 5502 'Zeebrugge' After groupingNo. 5502 ‘Zeebrugge’ shortly after the grouping

In 1913 there emerged from Gorton Works the first of Mr. J.C.Robinson’s Class 11E 4-4-0s.  This locomotive was numbered 429 and named Sir Alexander Henderson after a Director of the Company.

It was followed by nine others numbered 430-8, all of which were named after other Directors of the Great Central Railway Company – hence the name by which the class has always been known.

The locos were of sturdy design with 20 X 26 inch cylinders, 6’ 9” driving wheels, a Belpaire firebox with a grate area of 26 sq. ft. and 1963 sq. ft. of superheating area, and a working pressure of 180 lbs. per sq. in.    Weight was 61 tons of which 39 tons 12 cwt. was carried on the coupled axles.  The tender was of the graceful standard type introduced by Robinson, with a water capacity of 4,000 gallons and room for 6 tons of coal.

In 1919, a slightly enlarged version, Class 11F, appeared, the difference between these and the original batch was a reduction of the superheating area from 304 to 209 sq. ft., increase in weight of 3cwt., a difference in safety valves – from Ramsbottom to Poppet type – and a new style of cab incorporating a side window.  In all, eleven of the new version appeared between 1919 and 1923; these being numbered 501-11 and again all were named after Directors of the Company, the Royal Family and various battles fought in World War 1.  Two of the original batch – 429 and 437 – were also renamed Prince Henry and Prince George respectively.

4 62659In 1923, the class passed into the hands of the LNER and had 5,000 added to their numbers, becoming 5249-38 and 5501-11.  Their appearance changed little under the new regime apart from the removal of the footplate valancing for ease of maintenance and the substitution of an ugly flower-pot type chimney for the original – later a more pleasing type similar to the original was fitted – and a squat dome cover.

The tasks set the ‘Directors’ were greater than those for any other 4-4-0s in Britain.  Their hardest task was the 3.20pm from Marylebone to Manchester Central, 212 miles without changing locos.  The 103 miles from London to Leicester were scheduled for 109 minutes, which included the steep climbs to Harrow and Amersham.  24 minutes were allowed for the 23 miles from Leicester to Nottingham which was followed by the steep climb to Pilsley and still worse the long grind from Sheffield up to Dunford Bridge which is about 1,000 feet above sea-level, including the long foul smelling Woodhead Tunnel (this before the new tunnel was opened for the electricification).The ‘Director’ working the 2.15pm from Manchester had the same task haulage in the opposite direction.  The locos were allowed between 180 and 220 tons by the work required to keep time under the conditions described were little short of phenomenal.

3 62664In 1946 the whole series was renumbered 2650-70 and in 1948 was passed into the hands of British Railways becoming 62650-70.  Between 1953 and 1955, all the older members were withdrawn from traffic, mostly from Trafford Park and Heaton Mersey Depots.  Inroads into the second set began in 1960 and by 1962 the last were in store at Darnal Depot from where they had worked local services in their declining years.  Thence they left for breaking up at Doncaster except for 62660 Butler, Henderson, which was despatched to Gorton Works to restoration in its original Great Central splendour.  It re-appeared in 1961 when it was handed over to the Curator of Historical Relics to the British Transport Commission.  After being on show at various places, it was transferred to the Transport Museum at Clapham.

 To complete the record, principal dimensions were:-

Nos. 429-38 – Dr Wheels 6’ 9”,  Cyls 20” x 26”,  Pr 180lbs.

T.E.  19644lbs., Weight  61 tons.

GCR Class 11E.  LNER Class D10

Names                 Prince Henry, Purdon Viccars,  Edwin A. Beazley,

Sir Edward Frazier,  Walter Burgh Gair,  The Earl of Kerry,  Sir Clement Royds,  Sir Berkeley Sheffield,

Prince George,  Worsley-Taylor.

Nos. 501-11  Dimensions as above except weight 61 tons 3 cwt.

GCR 11F,  LNER D11

Names                 Butler-Henderson,  Gerard Powys Dewshurst,  Prince of Wales, Prince Albert, Princess Mary, Mons, Zeebrugge,

Somme, Jutland, Ypres, Marne.

2 62674

Although they do not come within the scope of this article, a further 24 locos of Class D11 were built in 1924 for the North British section by Sir Nigel Gresley.  These had cut down boiler mountings and were classified D11/2.  This batch was numbered 6378-6401 and named after characters from the novels of Sir Walter Scott.  Of these the first was taken out of traffic in 1960 and the last example, 62685 Malcolm Graeme in 1962.

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1911 – Robinson 2-8-0 Great Central Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1911 – Robinson 2-8-0

Great Central Railway

No. 1185No. 1185 in Great Central days; this is one of the engines which went abroad on active service in 1941 and never returned.

Robinson’s standard heavy freight engine of 1911 was destined to achieve much historic interest, as the design was adopted by the Government during the First World War for use in the various theatres of action abroad.  Several hundred were built by outside firms for this purpose alone, apart from the 130 engines constructed by the GCR for its own use between 1911 and 1920.  After the war the Government engines were disposed of, some to railways abroad, and at home the LNWR had fifty, and the Great Western 105, whilst the LNER eventually absorbed another 273 into its own stock along with the original Great Central engines.

A good deal of rebuilding and modification has since taken place, resulting in about seven different varieties from the original basic design.  These mainly concern the boilers and boiler mountings, but a number have been completely rebuilt from 1944 onwards with raised framing, Walschaert valve gear, and LNER B1-type boilers.

The class was again one of those commandeered for overseas service at the beginning of the Second World War, and 92 of the LNER engines were sent abroad, some of them being the same ones which had done duty in 1917-18, thus being ‘called up’ for the second time.  In 1946 the LNER renumbered the class from 3500 onwards, provision being made for the return of some of the war service engines, but in fact none of them ever came back.  Consequently the remainder of the class eventually became Nos. 3570 to 3920 with some gaps, altered in due course under Nationalisation by the addition of 60000.  Withdrawal on a general scale of the LNER engines did not commence until 1959, but it may be mentioned that the last of those acquired by the Great Western, which had been Nos. 3000-99 and 6000-4 in that Company’s lists, was scrapped in 1958, and the fifty engines of the LNWR, which became Nos. 9616-65 (some of which were later renumbered into the 9400s), had all gone as early as 1933.

63666 04 Original design – Driving wheels – 4’ 8”,  Leading wheels – 3’ 6”,  Cylinders – 21”x 28”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort 31325 lb.,  Weight – 73 tons 4 cwt.,  GCR classification – 8K,  LNER classification – 04,  BR classification – 7F

1944 rebuilds – Driving wheels – 4’ 8”,  Leading wheels – 3’ 6”,  Cylinders – 20”x 28”,  Pressure – 225 lb.,  Tractive effort 35518 lb.,  Weight – 73 tons 6 cwt.,  GCR classification – N/A,  LNER classification – 01,  BR classification – 8F

63777 Rebuild


Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1911 – Robinson 4-6-2T Great Central Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1911 – Robinson 4-6-2T

Great Central Railway

No. 156 as running when new in 1923No. 156 as running when new in 1923

In 1911 Robinson brought out his splendid 4-6-2Ts, one of the finest designs of express suburban tank engines ever built.  Twenty-one were turned out between 1911 and 1917, and just after the grouping a further 10 appeared new, lettered LNER but with Great Central livery and numbers.  In 1925 a further 13 were built with slight modifications for use in the North Eastern area, the original lot spent most of their time on the GCR London suburban services out of Marylebone until the late 1940s.

All of the above had mainly scattered numbers, the GCR ones being increased by 5000 at the grouping, whereas the North Eastern batch was numbered in the 1700s in the LNER list.  One engine, No. 5447 was scrapped in 1942, but the rest became in 1946 Nos. 9800-29, and (the North Eastern series) 9830-42, all being increased by 60000 on Nationalisation.  Withdrawal began in 1957, and whilst the whole of the final 13 had gone by 1958, a number of the earlier GCR type still remained in 1959, although all had been displaced from the London area for several years.

OriginalGCR engines – Driving wheels – 5’ 7”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 23743 lb.,  Weight – 85 tons 18 cwt,  GCR classification – 9N,  LNER classification – A5.  BR classification – 3MT

LNER 1925 batch – Driving wheels – 5’ 7”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 23743 lb.,  Weight – 90 tons 11 cwt,  GCR classification –,  LNER classification – A5/2.  BR classification – 3MT

Post 25

Some Early Lines – Great North of Scotland Railway

Some Early Lines

Great North of Scotland Railway

Strathspey 1The last of the Great North of Scotland 4-4-0s was No.62277 Gordon Highlander, nick named ‘The Soldier’.  Before being retired for preservation and resorted to its original green livery, No.62277 spent its remaining days in regular service working the goods between Keith and Elgin, and over the Speyside branch. – Photo: W.J.V.Anderson

Dates of operation 1854–1922

Successor London and North Eastern Railway

Track gauge  4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)  Length 334 miles (538 km)

Headquarters Aberdeen

The Great North of Scotland Railway (GNSR/GNoSR) was one of the smaller Scottish railways before the grouping, operating in the far north-east of the country. It was formed in 1845 and received its Parliamentary approval on 26 June 1846, following over two years of local meetings. The GNoSR’s eventual area encompassed the three Scottish counties of Aberdeenshire, Banffshire and Moray, with short lengths of line in Inverness-shire and Kincardineshire. The railway operated its main line between Aberdeen and Elgin via Keith. There were connections westward with the Highland Railway at Boat of Garten, Elgin, Keith and Portessie and southward with the Caledonian Railway and North British Railway at Aberdeen, where the three shared a station.

In 1921 the railway comprised 334 miles (538 km) of line, the company’s capital was £7 million, had headquarters at 89 Guild Street in Aberdeen and works at Inverurie. The company also owned hotels in some of the towns and resorts served by its stations. In the early 20th century it also developed a network of feeder bus services. In 1923 it was absorbed into the London and North Eastern Railway as its Northern Scottish area. Although the line had several branches its remoteness has resulted in only its main line remaining today.

1 & 2The Great North built a branch from its most easterly terminus at Fraserborough to the little town of St. Combs.  The LNER imported some Great Eastern ‘F4’ class 2-4-2 tanks to work the service and these stayed until well into BR days, when they were replaced by Class ‘2’ 2-6-0s.  As the line is unfenced for a considerable part of its length, engines are fitted with ‘cowcatchers’.  Nos. 67151 and 67157 make their way towards St. Combs near Golf Course Halt in August 1950.  (C. Lawson Kerr

Establishment and construction

In 1845 the Great North of Scotland Railway was formed to build a railway from Aberdeen to Inverness. The proposed 1081⁄4-mile (174 km) route, which needed few major engineering works, followed the River Don to Inverurie, via Huntly and Keith to a crossing of the River Spey, and then to Elgin and along the coast via Nairn to Inverness. Branch lines to Banff, Portsoy, Garmouth and Burghead would total 301⁄2 miles (49 km). At the same time the Perth & Inverness Railway proposed a more direct route south from Inverness to Perth across the Grampian Mountains, and the Aberdeen, Banff & Elgin Railway proposed a route that followed the coast to better serve the Banffshire and Morayshire fishing ports. The Aberdeen, Banff & Elgin failed to raise funds, and the Perth & Inverness Railway was rejected by parliament because the railway would be at altitudes that approached 1,500 feet (460 m) and needed steep gradients. The Great North of Scotland Railway Act received Royal Assent on 26 June 1846.

Two years later the railway mania bubble burst and no investors could be found. At meeting in November 1849, the company estimated that whereas approximately £650 thousand was needed for a double track railway from Aberdeen to Inverness, only £375 thousand was needed for a single track railway from Kittybrewster, 11⁄2 miles (2.4 km) from Aberdeen, to Keith, half way to Inverness. The meeting recommended that the bridges and works would be wide enough for a second track when this was needed. Construction began in November 1852, albeit to Huntly, 121⁄2 miles (20 km) short of Keith, with William Cubitt as engineer. The following winter was severe, delaying work. Between Inverurie and Aberdeen the line took over the Aberdeenshire Canal, and the sale of the canal to the railway company became complex as it was necessary to settle the claims of each shareholder individually.

Strathspey 2The Speyside branch train from Boat of Garten terminated at Craigellachie.  No.62275 Sir David Stewart pauses for refreshment at the shed before being turned for the journey back over the single line with the afternoon train. – Photo: J.D.Mills


After an inspection by the Board of Trade in September 1854, the railway opened to goods on 12 September and approval for the carriage of passengers was given two days later. The railway was officially opened on 19 September, two locomotives hauling twenty-five carriages with at least 400 passengers left Kittybrewster at 11 am. The number of passengers had grown to about 650 by the time the train arrived to a celebration at Huntly at 1:12 pm. Public services began the following day.

The railway was single track with passing loops at the terminii and at Kintore, Inverurie and Insch; the loop at Kittybrewster was clear of the platform to allow the locomotive to run round the carriages and push them into the station. Initially there were three passenger services a day taking two hours for the 39 miles (63 km). A daily goods train took up to 3 hours 40 minutes, the goods to Aberdeen also carrying passengers and mail. Two classes of accommodation were provided, fares being 1 3⁄4 d a mile for first class and 1 1⁄4 d for third; on one train a day in each direction it was possible to travel for the statutory fare of 1 d a mile. Although these fares and the charges for the transportation of goods were considered high, they were not reduced for thirty years.

Strathspey 3Pickersgill-designed ‘D41’ class 4-4-0 No. 62248, late of the Great North of Scotland Railway, leaves Craigellachie with the afternoon goods for the Highland line at Boat of Garten.  The line to the right of the picture is a siding and the track is single for the whole journey, closely following the windings of the River Spey, as it threads its was between the hills of Cromdale.  Many of the wagons will probably be dropped off at various distillery sidings en route.  (W.J.V.Anderson

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1907 – Robinson 0-8-4T Great Central Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1907 – Robinson 0-8-4T

Great Central Railway

One of the two new booster-fitted engines as running 1n 1934One of the two new booster-fitted engines as running in 1934.

Four heavy 3-cylinder 0-8-4Ts constructed by Robinson in 1907 for shunting in the Wath marshalling yard.  Numbered 1170-3, they became LNER 6170-3 at the grouping.  In 1937, No. 6171 was rebuilt with a superheater and provided with a booster driving the near bogie, in which form it became the most powerful tank engine in the country.  Gresley built two additional locomotives similar to 6171 in 1932, numbered 2798 and 2799.  In 1946 the six engines became Nos. 9900-5, and passed into BR hands as 69900-5.  The boosters were removed in 1943 and with the advent of diesels which took over the engines’ duties they became redundant and were broken up between 1954 and 1957.69902

Without booster – Driving wheels – 4’ 8”,  Bogie wheels – 3’ 7”,  Cylinders (3) – 18”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb. (originally 200lb),  Tractive effort – 34523 lb.,  Weight – 99 tons 6 cwt.,  GCR classification – 8H,  LNER classification – S1,  BR classification – 7F

With booster – Driving wheels – 4’ 8”,  Bogie wheels – 3’ 2”,  Cylinders (3) – 18”x 26” (plus 2 booster cylinders),  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 46896 lb.,  Weight – 104 tons 5 cwt.,  GCR classification –,  LNER classification – S1/2,  BR classification –


Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1906 – ‘Atlantics’ North British Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1906 – ‘Atlantics’

North British Railway

HCC No. 9872 ‘Auld Reekie’ in early LNER days.

These were the largest engines built for the NBR, which like the southern member in the East Coast partnership, the Great Northern, never went in for the 4-6-0 engines as did most major railways of the period.  (The third member of the trio, the North Eastern, had both types.)  The new NB engines, which were massive in appearance by the standard of their day, were built during W.P.Reid’s superintendency by the North British Locomotive Co. (which firm had no actual connections with the NBR).  They bore certain obvious resemblances to Robinson’s engines of the same type for the GCR.  Fourteen of them were turned out in 1906, and another six, Nos.901-6, were built by Robert Stephenson & Co. in 1910, whilst two more with superheaters, Nos. 509 and 510, were added by W.Chalmers in 1921.  The earlier engines of the class were also later superheated.  They were given typical Scottish names, such as ‘Aberdonian’, ‘Waverley’, ‘Highland Chief’, and so on.  At the grouping they had 9000 added to their numbers, as 9868-81 and 9509-10.  They did some fine work on the NB main lines, particularly on the heavily graded Waverley route between Edinburgh and Carlisle.  They were taken out of service between 1933 and 1939, the last to go being No. 9875 ‘Midlothian’.

c10C10 No. 901 St. Johnstoun at Inverkeithing in 1921

Driving wheels – 6’ 9”,  Bogie wheels – 3’ 6”, Trailing wheels – 4’ 3”,  Cylinders (2) – 20”x 28”,  Pressure – 200 lb.,  Weight – 74 tons 8 cwt,  NBR classification before superheating – I,  NBR classification after superheating – H,  LNER classification – C11.

c11 9870C11 No. 9870 ‘Bon Accord’ leaves Aberdeen in 1928


Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1902 – Earlier Robinson 4-6-0s Great Central Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1902 – Earlier Robinson 4-6-0s

Great Central Railway

6100 - One of the 6 -7 engines in 19266100 – One of the 6′ 7″ engines in 1926

In all, J.G.Robinson designed nine classes of 4-6-0 for the Great Central Railway during his period of office from 1900 to 1922, the first four of which conformed to one general pattern and can be considered here.  The later classes differed very considerably.

The arrangement common to all four of the earlier designs was the two outside cylinders driving the centre pair of wheels, with the framing raised to clear the coupling rods and separate splashers for each pair of driving wheels.  The main variations between the four classes lay in the sizes of the driving wheels and the boilers.


The first batch consisted of fourteen engines, No. 180-7and 1067-72, built between 1902 and 1904.  These had 6’ 1” wheels and were intended mainly for the fast fish traffic between Grimsby and London, hence they were usually known as the ‘Fish’ class.

Nos. 195 and 196, which appeared in 1903, were intended for express work and had 6’ 9” driving wheels.  Apart from the six-coupled wheels, they were identical with the ‘Atlantics’ which appeared at the same time, and were built for the sake of comparison between the two types.  Neither class was ever converted, however, unlike the similar situation on the Great Western, where the 4-4-2 type was eventually altered to 4-6-0.


1906 saw ten somewhat similar engines but with 6’ 7” wheels, Nos. 1095-1104, of which 1097 bore the name ‘Immingham’.

Lastly, in the same year, were ten engines, Nos. 1105-14, with 5’ 3” wheels for fast freight traffic.  All of these classes had 5000 added to their numbers at the grouping, and in 1946 they were renumbered from 1469089 and 1678-90 (two engines already withdrawn were not included here).  They were scrapped between 1947 and 1950, and although some passed into BR hands, only two, old 1105 and 1111 actually carried BR numbers, which they did as Nos. 61469 and 61475.


B1 later B18 – Driving wheels – 6’ 9”,  Cylinders – 21”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 21658 lb.,  Weight – 72 tons 18 cwt,  GCR classification – 8C,  LNER classification B1, later B18

B4 – Driving wheels – 6’ 7”,  Cylinders – 21”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 22206 lb.,  Weight – 71 tons 15 cwt,  GCR classification – 8F,  LNER classification B4

B5 – Driving wheels – 6’ 1”,  Cylinders – 21”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 24030 lb.,  Weight – 65 tons 4 cwt,  GCR classification – 8,  LNER classification B5

B9 – Driving wheels – 5’ 3”,  Cylinders – 21”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 27410 lb.,  Weight – 66 tons 1 cwt,  GCR classification – 8G,  LNER classification B9

The cylinder dimensions were originally 19”x 26”, with less tractive effort in consequence.