A couple of visits to other railways
The Chasewater Railway Museum has been given a small wooden box with a copper lid, inscribed ‘Lytham St.Annes Corporation Tramways 1896 – 1037’
Inside the lid is the inscription ‘British Insulated Cables Ltd. Prescot, Lancs’ and ‘Manufactured from Empire Copper’
The handle is made from a piece of the tramway cable.
The Lytham St. Annes Corporation Tramways and its predecessor companies operated an electric tramway service in Lytham St Annes between 1903 and 1937.
Tramway schemes in Lytham St. Annes had been proposed since 1878, but no progress was made until The Blackpool, St. Annes and Lytham Tramway Order of 1896. Under this order, a tramway was constructed from the terminus of the Blackpool tramway at South Shore Railway Station. The new line opened on 11 July 1896, operated by the British Gas Traction Company. The extension to Lytham opened in February 1897, and the fleet of compressed coal gas trams eventually reached 20. The gas powered trams were not successful, and horse cars were also obtained. The scheme was eventually unsuccessful and the company sold out.
The Blackpool, St. Annes and Lytham Tramways Company purchased the assets of the former company for £115,000 (£9,227,226 as of 2012), and in 1900 an act authorised an electric tramway to rebuild the route. The newly electrified tramway was opened on 28 May 1903.
On 28 October 1920 St. Annes Council purchased the assets of the company for £132,279 (£3,939,484 as of 2012). The trams were rebranded with the inscription “St Annes Council Tramways”.
In 1922 the borough of Lytham St. Annes was incorporated. The trams were re-branded with “Lytham St. Annes” and later “Lytham St. Annes Corporation”
The last tram between Lytham and St Annes ran in 1936. The remainder of the system closed on 28 April 1937.