Tag Archives: Holly Bank Colliery

Some of the Latest Museum Items

Although I can’t imagine the first items shown will ever be seen in the museum, they do show something of the variation in size between items offered.This photo shows two of four signal posts which have been at Chasewater for many years and have recently been removed from the undergrowth by the overflow car park.One of them is clearly stamped with what is presumably the date, 1915.

They came from the Pinnox Junction area of Stoke-on Trent.North Stafford Railway locomotive about to leave Pinnox Junction with coal from Whitfield Colliery around the turn of the 20th century. To the right, the Tunstall Lower Branch railway from Longport to Tunstall Junction on the Loop Line and bridge carrying the Whitfield line from Pinnox to Greenhead Wharf. Staffs pasttrack

The next item is a ‘Trains Cross Here’ sign.This was found in the mid 1960s in the Wyrley Branch of the Wyrley & Essington Canal which is now under Vernon Way, in the New Invention, Essington area.  The railway crossing of the A4124 Lichfield Road from Holly Bank Colliery to the canal basin at Short heath was about 150 yards away on the other side of the M6.  It seems logical to assume that this was where the sign was originally placed.This is how the sign would have looked when in position.  Although this photo was taken on the same line, it is probably not the same  sign, being a bit too far away.  The sign was donated to the museum by Mr. D.Townsend.

The third item is the smallest.This is a badge of the Walsall Locomotive Society donated by the museum’s Chairman, David Bathurst.

We have also had a number of items loaned to us, including the nameplate ‘Beatty’ and number plate ‘139’ from an ex Dorman Long Hawthorn Leslie 12″ x 20″ 0-4-0ST preserved at Telford Steam Railway.

Advertisements

Hunslet 0-6-0ST 3783/1953 – Darfield No.1

Darfield No.1

Built by Hunslet Engine Co., Leeds in 1953, their works number 3783, the loco is a late example of the manufacturers 16 inch inside cylindered, six-coupled saddle tank with the tank not extending over the smokebox.  The design pre-dates the rather better known Austerity type from Hunslet.

Darfield No.1, together with a sister, No.2 was supplied new to Darfield Colliery, Wombwell, South Yorkshire.  The colliery situated half a mile north west of Wombwell Station on the BR (ex LNER) line.

For the period July 1955 to 1959 No.1 was transferred away to Houghton Main Colliery, Little Houghton.  On return to Darfield No.1 worked until sold into preservation in late 1974, initially to a private site in Delph, Lancashire before seeing use on the Yorkshire Dales Railway at Embsay.  A move to the Llangollen Railway followed and No.1 sees occasional use there as well as being hired out to other preserved railways, most recently a return to a former home at Embsay.  Arrival on hire to Chasewater took place 29-7-2011.

Locally there were three similar locos based at Holly Bank Colliery, Essington before transfer to Littleton, with one of the three later moving on to Granville Colliery near Oakengates, Shropshire.

Darfield No.1 weighs 38 tons in working order.In the engine shed at Chasewater Railway