Chasewater Railway Museum Exhibits
Time to show another selection of our latest museum items.
Last Sunday, February 17th, the museum was given a framed photograph of what looks like a group of P way workers. The photo is marked: H.W.Davies – Brownhills, but unfortunately we have no real idea of the location, apart from guessing the local sidings, so if anyone has any suggestions as to the whereabouts of the location, we would be very happy to hear from you.
This wagon plate is one of a number of items loaned to the museum by one of our occasional visitors from his private collection, some 19 at the moment. He is pleased with the care taken of his objects, especially since we achieved the Accredited Museum standard. On February 17th he happily agreed to extend the loan on all of his objects for a further two years.
A nice booklet for our reference library, about the Maryport and Carlisle Railway. Of particular interest as we have a 6-wheel coach from the line in the Heritage Centre, donated by the Cannock & Rugeley Colliery Co. Built in 1875.
We have another local history book for our collection, this time about Great Wyrley. This was donated by David Bathurst, and we also have two signs from the old Great Wyrley station.
Lastly for now and biggest, is this 7-lever signal frame from Hemyock station on the Culm Valley Railway, Devon, closed in 1965. It came to Chasewater from the National Railway Museum at York.
Posted in Museum Collection
Tagged Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Burntwood, Cannock, Chasetown, Chasewater Railway Museum, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Heath Hayes, Hednesford, Hemyock, Lichfield, Maryport & Carlisle, National Railway Museum, Norton Canes, NRM, Pelsall, Walsall, Wolverhampton
Some Early Lines –
Culm Valley Light Railway
From Tavistock Junction to Hemyock.
Map – Nick Catford, Roy Lambeth http://www.disused-stations.org.uk
The Culm Valley Light Railway was a railway that operated in Devon, England. Opened in 1876, it was built by local enterprise. The line was purchased by the Great Western Railway, which had operated it from the start, in 1880. The line closed to passengers in 1963 but served the milk depot at Hemyock until 1975.Planning and Construction
Receiving Royal Assent t in 1873, construction started the next year. There were delays but the line opened on 29 May 1876. Typically low budget it followed existing boundaries and the Culm Valley and avoided the need for any major engineering works. After early plans for eastward expansion faded, the line settled down to serve the local area, and eked out a quiet existence carrying sparse local passengers, agricultural produce and the output of a large dairy plant at Hemyock.Operation
Operated by the Great Western from its inception, it was transferred to the Western Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. Services worked to Tiverton Junction on the Bristol o Exeter line, and some through workings to and from Tiverton on the Exe Valley Railway. The Tiverton Junction train had the nickname “The Tivvy Bumper”, a nickname that one of the preserved 1400 class locos, 1442, carries to this day.Motive power and rolling stock
Motive power was provided largely by the Charles Collett designed GWR 1400 Class 0-4-2T steam locomotive. Freight stock was a mixed bag of trucks and carriage stock was limited to a few old four wheel carriages by the sharp curves which were a legacy of the line’s original economic construction. Even after nationalisation, British Railways were obliged to use two ex- Barry Railway gas lit four wheel coaches on the line. This was necessary as the speed limit on the line was too low for the dynamos on most coaches to power electric lighting.
Decline and closure
The service was always slow and vulnerable to increasing road transport and car ownership. Passenger use declined and so the railway closed to passengers on 9 September 1963, and to general freight on the 6 September 1965. However, the line continued to serve the dairy at Hemyock until 31 October 1975. During this time it received visits from the occasional railtour.The line today
Today the line forms some popular riverside walks at various points along the valley. The reopening of the line has been raised but this is unlikely as the M5 motorway has been built over the track with no bridge. The station sites have been redeveloped.