Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era
London & South Western Railway
720 as running in 1921
The third type of four-cylinder engine to appear in 1897 was Dugald Drummond’s first express engine for the LSWR. It was an experimental machine with two independent pairs of single driving wheels, the two inside cylinders driving the front pair and the outside ones the rear. This arrangement had been used by F.W.Webb on the LNWR, but whereas the Webb engines were compound, the new South Western was a simple expansion machine. Amongst other features it embodied for the first time Drummond’s firebox water tubes, as depicted by the rectangular casing alongside the firebox. This was applied to all of Drummond’s tender engines from 1900 onwards, but they were eventually removed by Urie in later days. No.720 was at first fitted with a 4’ 5” diameter boiler similar to Class T9, and a further five very similar engines, Nos. 369-73 were built in 1901. In 1907, No.720 received a larger boiler of 4’ 10¾” diameter, but the other five were never so rebuilt, although all eventually lost their water tubes.
As the driving wheels were uncoupled the engines suffered to some extent from the defect of all single wheelers, tending to slipping with a heavy load on a wet rail, and for this reason they were not greatly popular. They were capable of good performances at times, but were latterly only used in times of heavy traffic when there was a shortage of engines. All six were broken up in 1926-7, No.720 was classified T7 and Nos.369-75 E10.
Driving wheels – 6’ 7”, Bogie wheels – 3’ 7”, Cylinders (4) 14”x 26”, Pressure 175 lb., LSWR & SR power classification I
Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era
1886- Caledonian Railway Neilson 4-2-2
The engine as running in 1930, after receiving LMS red livery.
This engine was constructed by Neilson & Co. in 1886 for the Edinburgh exhibition, at the termination of which it was taken over by the Caledonian Railway. Although designed primarily by the makers, Dugald Drummond, then locomotive superintendent of the Caledonian Railway, evidently had a hand in it, as it embodied certain of his characteristic features, such as the cab and boiler mountings. It took part in the 1888 Race to Scotland between the West and East Coast routes, when it ran between Carlisle and Edinburgh with a load of four coaches, maintaining a daily average time of 107¾ minutes for the 100¾ miles. This included the ascent of Beattock Bank, nine miles of continuous climbing between 1 in 74 and 1 in 88, preceded by a further three miles of 1 in 202. For a number of years after the First World War it was used only for hauling the Directors’ saloon, but in the early 1930s it was again put into ordinary traffic on local trains between Perth and Dundee, by which time it had also received a new boiler, with Ramsbottom safety valves over the firebox instead of mounted in the dome. It was withdrawn from service in 1935 and restored to its Caledonian blue livery for preservation, with its original number 123. This latter had been subsequently altered to 1123, and whilst in service with the LMS it was No.14010. The engine has recently (1959) been put into working order again for use with enthusiasts’ specials.
Driving wheels – 7’ 0”, Bogie wheels – 3’ 6”, Trailing wheels – 4’ 6”, Cylinders – 18”x 26”, Pressure – 160 lb., Tractive effort – 12286 lb., Weight – 41 tons 7 cwt. Caledonian Railway no 123 at Glasgow’s transport museum. Date 9 July 2007, 11:11:15 Source originally posted to Flickr as Royal portrait Author Les Chatfield Permission (Reusing this file) This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.
This is the way to go to work!
London & South Western Railway 4-2-4T Drummond’s ‘Bug’
The Bug at Eastleigh in 1927 H.C.Casserley
Dugald Drummond, Locomotive Superintendent of the London and South Western railway from 1895 to 1912, ordered himself the Victorian equivalent of a company car for conveyance between his home in Surbiton and the Works at Nine Elms, moved to Eastleigh in 1908-10, apart from regular inspections elsewhere over the system, which led to the engine being known by the men as ‘The Bug’. After Drummond’s retirement the locomotive, which had been averaging 30,000 miles a year, saw little use, but survived until 1940. By August 1937 it was a permanent resident at Eastleigh Paint Shop where this photo was taken, now just ‘SR’ livery.
In Eastleigh Paint Shop – H.C.Casserley
After his death in 1912 it was little used, but remained in Eastleigh shed until 1932, when it had a short spell of duty taking small parties of visitors around the new extensions to Southampton Docks then under construction. Thereafter it did little or no work until it was finally cut up in 1940. At first numbered 733 in the capital list it was transferred in 1924 to the service stock as 58S.
Until its resuscitation in 1932 it was still painted in the old pre-1918 LSWR livery, the coach portion retaining the old characteristic salmon and chocolate colours of LSWR days. Still bearing the initials ‘LSWR’ it was also probably at the time the last engine on any railway in nominal (if not actual) service to retain its pre-grouping identity in this manner.