- Canal News
- Chasewater Diesel Locos
- Chasewater Railway
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces
- Chasewater Steam Locos
- Classic Streamliners
- Foreign Lines
- Industrial Steam Loco Manufacturers
- Miniature Railways
- Miscellaneous Railways
- Model Railways
- Museum Collection
- Narrow Gauge
- Railway Companies
- Railway Miscellany
- Some Early Lines
- Steam Locomotive Classes of a Leisurely Era
- Steam Preservation in the 1990s
- Visitors – Past & Present
September 2021 M T W T F S S 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Tag Archives: Diesel
Some Early Lines
Ashby and Nuneaton Joint Railway
(Including the Battlefield Line, Shackerstone)
A Midland train behind a 2-2-2 locomotive at Market Bosworth station, close to the site of the Battle of Bosworth Field (spellerweb.net
The Ashby and Nuneaton Joint Railway was a pre-grouping railway company in the English Midlands. Construction began in 1869 and the railway was opened in 1873. The railway was built to serve the Leicestershire coalfield. It linked Moira and Coalville Town with Nuneaton.
Until the 1923 grouping the railway was jointly owned by the Midland Railway and the London and North Western Railway. It then became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway, which withdrew passenger services in 1931.Nationalisation in 1948 made the railway part of British Railways, which closed the line to freight traffic in 1971.
Midland Railway train behind 0-4-4 tank No. 2081 at Market Bosworth in around 1905 (spellerweb.net
Your journey starts from this wonderful authentic example of a Victorian country station which houses a museum of rare and interesting artefacts, with a special emphasis on the area’s railway history. Step into the quaint station booking hall where you buy your tickets and on colder days you can enjoy the warmth of a real coal fire.
While you’re waiting for the next train, visit the Victorian Tea Rooms and the ‘Fund Stall’ shop on platform 1, or the souvenir shop on platform 2. Whilst on board why not sample the ‘on train’ buffet serving meals or snacks, with a variety of hot and cold drinks.
Once the guard blows his whistle, the train leaves on its five mile journey, running for most of the way alongside the Ashby canal, meandering its way past small villages and farms to the newly re-opened Market Bosworth Station. This picturesque small market town, in the heart or rural Leicestershire, is a walk from the station, and hosts a range of antique shops and galleries.
The award-winning Shenton Station is the southern terminus of the line and the platform building you see once stood at Humberstone Road, Leicester, from where it was demolished and transported to Shenton and rebuilt, brick by brick.
Shenton Station is located in the centre of Bosworth Field, the site of the last great medieval battle in 1485,and the final battle of the War of the Roses.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved] © Copyright Roger Kidd and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Bickington Steam Railway
The railway gives a real value for money ride as it tours the whole complex. © Copyright Neil Kennedy and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Technical – Track length 11⁄2 mi (2.4 km)
Track gauge – 10 1⁄4 in (260 mm)
Located at Trago Mills Regional Shopping Centre, Newton Abbot, the 10 1⁄4 in (260 mm) minimum gauge Bickington Steam Railway was opened in 1988, using equipment recovered from the Suffolk Wildlife Park, which itself was taken from Rudyard Lake. It was built by Brian Nicholson, the headmaster of Waterhouses School in Staffordshire. Waterhouses was the junction for the Leek and Manifold Valley Light Railway. After being thwarted in an attempt to rebuild a portion of the Leek and Manifold Valley railway, Nicholson moved his railway, via Rudyard Lake and Suffolk, to Trago Mills.
A narrow gauge railway with steam hauled trains is one of the attractions within the popular Trago Mills shopping complex. © Copyright Richard Dorrell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Originally the railway was a 1 mile (1.6 km) double loop around two lakes with one station, ‘Trago Central’, but in 2006 the railway grew over 1⁄2 miles (805 m), with an extension taking it to Trago’s front car park. A three-track terminus and turntable was built and named the ‘Riverside Station’. A third station was added in 2008, located at the far end of the Trago site on one of the original sections of line; this was named ‘Goose Glen Halt’. This was constructed in the hope that shoppers would use the ride to return to their vehicles, a near half-mile uphill walk from the main shopping complex.
A two loco service for trips to Santa’s Grotto. The line has both steam and diesel miniature locomotives. The diesel was sharing with the US style steam locomotive No. 24. © Copyright Chris Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Over a section of this line, the railway climbs one of the steepest inclines for any non rack railway in the UK. The railway is a member of Britains Great Little Railways
An excellent live steam experience with a two mile run, three stations, lots of scenery and a hop-on hop-off all day ticket is £2. Very popular on this particular day. The loco is one four steam engines – No.24 Sandy River 2-6-2 tender engine based on the Sandy River and Rangley Lakes railway in New England. Built by Clarkson, Vere & Nicholson and completed in 1991. See – Link © Copyright Chris Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Some Early Lines
Sheringham (North Norfolk Railway) railway station
The North Norfolk Railway offers a 10.5 mile round trip by steam train (vintage diesel trains on some journeys) through a delightful area of North Norfolk designated as being of outstanding natural beauty. To the south are wooded hills and the Norfolk beauty spots of Kelling Heath and Sheringham Park. To the north, the sea. All within easy walking distance from the various stations. The flowers are a sight to see throughout the year. In spring and early summer there are primroses, bluebells and the yellow gorse. Later in the year the poppies abound and are set off by the mauve heathers. Enjoy a ride on an historic steam train – you can break your journey to look around the stations and marvel at the steam laden atmosphere from a bygone age.
But the North Norfolk Railway is much more than a train ride. There are historic stations, a museum of the railway’s history, a museum signal box and a children’s activity carriage. There are also buffets and souvenir shops.
Sheringham is the name of a preserved railway station in Sheringham, Norfolk. It was once part of the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway network. Since its closure as part of the Beeching Axe, it has served as the eastern terminus of the North Norfolk Railway. Since March 2010, the link to Network Rail was reinstated.
The station was first opened in 16 June 1887 by the Eastern and Midlands Railway as part of the Cromer Branch linking the Norfolk Coast to the junction at Melton Constable railway station. In 1893 this was merged into the Midland and Great Northern Joint Railway Network. On 6 April 1964 in the wake of the Beeching Report, the line to Melton Constable was closed to passengers. Withdrawal of goods services from that line (as well as from Sheringham itself) followed on 28 December 1964. Sheringham station remained open for passengers until 2 January 1967, when it was closed upon the opening of a new station for passengers on the opposite side of Station Road, enabling the level crossing to be closed.
In 1970, the station was re-opened as part of the North Norfolk Railway, which runs along the old Cromer Branch route as far as Holt railway station. Another Sheringham railway station exists on the National Rail network, just across the road from the NNR station.
Author Original uploader was James@hopgrove at en.wikipedia
Released into the public domain (by the author).
Licensing: This work has been released into the public domain by its author, James@hopgrove at the wikipedia project. This applies worldwide.
In case this is not legally possible: James@hopgrove grants anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.
(Sorry Godfrey – couldn’t make it that day!! – John)
Connection to the National Rail network
Between 2007 and 2010, work was undertaken to reinstate the original level crossing across the road to allow trains from Norwich to run onto the North Norfolk Railway heritage line tracks. BBC Look East reported on 17 December 2007 that Network Rail supported the level crossing plans to allow occasional use for trains to cross between tracks. It was announced by the North Norfolk Railway on 16 December 2008, that work was going to start on the new level crossing in January 2009. These plans were later delayed until 2010 due to various problems, including: lack of funding, electricity cables needing to be moved, the county’s highways department concerns with the implications of road closure to create the crossing.
I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following license: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.
Work began on 8 January 2010, with the moving of the NNR headshunt to slew into line with the Network Rail section. The link was reinstated on 11 March 2010, when the first passenger carrying train over the new crossing was steam locomotive ‘Oliver Cromwell’ hauling a train from London Liverpool Street.Occasional uses by charter trains and visiting rolling stock are anticipated to not exceed 12 times a year.
Preserved British Railways Standard Class 7MT lcomotive number 70013 Oliver Cromwell approaching Weybourne on the North Norfolk Railway on 11 March 2010 to celebrate re-connection of the NNR to the national railway network.
Date 11 March 2010 Author Andy F Licensing:
I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby publish it under the following license: This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported license.
Video from tordy64
234 – Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces
From Chasewater News – Spring 2000 – Part 6
Diesel Dept. Notes
Nine Miles of Smiles this February – Kids Go Free!
Come and enjoy the delightful Ecclesbourne Valley this February 2013.
Trains are running on Saturdays 2nd, 9th and 16th between Wirksworth and Duffield and for these dates only kids can go free!
Maximum of two free children with each £9.00 Adult or £8.00 Concession Day Rover ticket purchased. Normal fare paying child age range is 6 – 15 inclusive. Normal child fare is £5.00 each. Named February Saturday dates only.
For more details of this and more on the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, go to the website:
History of the collection
The Industrial Railway Collection at the Amberley Museum in West Sussex has become one of the most important collections of industrial railway equipment in the UK. The history of the collection actually goes back further than even the initial concept of the Museum at Amberley with the formation of the Brockham collection and acquisitions by the Narrow Gauge Railway Society during the 1950s and 1960s.
Industrial railways have a fascination of their own. Main stream gricing it most definitely is not, but we are all allowed our little fetishes, aren’t we? (And that’s the only one I’m telling you about!)
Initially the collection at Amberley was envisaged as a small operation, demonstrating typical industrial narrow gauge trains. The first locomotive to arrive on site was the Motor Rail Hibberd 1980/1936, donated to the Museum by Southern Water and previously used at the City of Chichester Sewage Works at Apuldram, to the south of the City. Restoration, which included the removal of several layers what looked like mud but probably wasn’t(!), was started by the late Peter Holland and after his death continued by Chas Thomas – seen here driving the locomotive on the occasion of the official recommissioning with members of Peter Holland’s family on the “man-rider” wagon.
The first locomotive to actually run under its own power at Amberley was Peter Smith’s Ruston & Hornsby 187081/1937, seen here shortly after its rebuilding. Note that the Museum was, at that time, very undeveloped – the corrugated building in the background is now our main railway workshops in which much of our maintenance and restoration work was and still is carried out.
Finally, in 1982, the local Thakeham Tiles company decided to dispense with their short narrow gauge railway in favour of a conveyor belt system (still in use for any conveyor belt gricers to see – is there such a person?). The company donated the entire railway, track, wagons and locos to the Museum on condition that they removed the whole thing over one weekend! It was done. Some of the track, one of the locos and the wagons are still in use at Amberley today. Thakeham Tiles No.4 is Hudson Hunslet 3653/1946. The rear end was rebuilt by Thakeham Tiles to enable the locomotive to enter a low building containing a wagon unloading hopper.
Hudson Hunslet 2208/1941 – Thakeham Tiles No.3 is also part of the collection. This originally worked at the Trevor Quarry Co in North Wales and after purchase by Thakeham Tiles, received the same cab modifications as No.4. Unless we can get spare parts for the Ailsa Craig engine, this second one is unlikely to run again for a very long time.
This was originally as far as development of the collection was to go until in 1982 the collection of industrial and narrow gauge items, formerly kept at the Brockham Museum’s site near Dorking, was brought to Amberley when the Brockham Museum Trust found they were unable to develop further due, mainly, to access problems. With it came many interesting locomotives, rolling stock and sundry related items and the much enlarged collection has become one of the most significant in the UK. It also resulted in the railway collection at Amberley taking a completely new direction in that a passenger carrying line was proposed and built. This remains the most public face of the collection.
The Brockham collection included two 2ft gauge steam locomotives, Polar Bear and Peter, both at that time in varying states of disrepair. Restoration of both was subsequently completed at Amberley.
The collection included some enthusiastic volunteers several of whom are still part of our volunteer workforce on the railway.
And the rest, as they say, is history.
214 – Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces From Chasewater News – Spring 1998 – Part 4 Simplex 21 4WDM (Kent Construction 1929)
214 – Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces
From Chasewater News – Spring 1998 – Part 4
Chasewater Railway’s Worthington No.21 in action at the old Brownhills West station, with Ken Dyde in the driver’s seat. Just a short run up and down to somewhere near the site of the current Brownhills West station, with the engine shed on the left a bit further on.
Simplex 21 4WDM (Kent Construction 1929)
By Albert Dean – 21 Lives Again
Work finally began on 21 late in September; our first task was to reset the poppet valves and injector timing. As we suspected, it was 180º out of alignment from the spill, once these were rectified we set about starting the engine. We tried several settings with the injectors and the valve timing – this is where the fun began.
We also had problems with the starter motor; owing to info received it could be 12 volts or 24. We tried starting with 12 volts plus a booster charger but to no avail. A 24-volt starter motor was then fitted and extra batteries were also fitted, this turned the engine over much faster.
We soon found the engine was losing compression, the problem was soon located, the cylinder head had not been tightened down enough and the problem was soon rectified. Once all the work had been carried out we primed the injector pump and tried starting the engine once again, but again to no avail, so we tried adjusting the pump and trying numerous settings. At 2.00pm on 9th January 1998 to our amazement the engine suddenly came to life, at this point only half of the exhaust had been fitted. Ken Dyde was inside the cab leaning over the engine, when smoke bellowed out of the exhaust pipe engulfing the cab area. Vic Baker was standing outside the loco and the visibility decreased rapidly making Ken totally disappear!
Is this the sequel to the Invisible Man??!!
Once we had established that the engine could be run, we started hunting for lost parts. The Cadbury’s van on Road 3 became a hive of interest. We found lots of the original parts from’21’, the old engine which was seized, the clutch assembly, decompression levers, engine covers, plus lots more. At last we were underway.
We first removed the clutch from the old engine which was in the Cadbury’s van, and transferred it into ‘21’, this posed us a problem. We had to jack up the engine to fit the clutch assembly and this took us a lot longer than we anticipated. Once this was completed, we then had to line up the engine with the gearbox (new bolts and packing pieces were just the ticket) but before we could fit the clutch pedal a bracket had to be made. A short trip to the loco shed and Steve Williams came to our rescue and made a new part for the clutch pedal assembly.
January – The Visit
The layout of the inside of ‘21’ seemed to be a mystery, so after some deliberation over a few cups of tea in the cabin, we decided to arrange a day out to visit the sister loco, Simplex No. 20, which is on loan to the Bass Museum in Burton-on-Trent. We telephoned the Museum on Wednesday January 28th to arrange a visit – they said you can come any day, so we decided to go the next day. We arrived at the Bass Museum at around 11.00am. Upon our arrival we were made most welcome and were directed to the railway exhibits where loco No.9 and the 4-wheel saloon carriage and Worthington No.20 stood in all their glory. Simplex No.20 still looks in very good condition and well maintained. Ken, Vic and myself set to work taking photographs, drawing sketches, removing the engine covers and getting a very good idea of where everything was located. We then went on a tour of the Museum, which we found very interesting. We all agreed that our day at the Bass Museum had been very enjoyable and useful, and would strongly recommend this place for a family day out. The Museum is open all year round and there is something for everyone to see and do.
February – Back Home at Brownhills West
Things really started to take shape. All the clutch pedal assembly was fitted. Our next task was to fit the radiator and all the hoses, the radiator fan and pulley wheels. The pulley wheels are attached to one of the engine covers; this had to be fitted next. The radiator had received some damage over the years but Steve organ came to the rescue and he is having it repaired – many thanks Steve!
The seat and engine cover are now ready to fit, but before we can fit the covers, they are in need of some attention. This should not take long to put right – we should be able to run ‘21’ within the next few weeks. A new floor covering the gearbox, as well as new windows, have to be made and put in. There are no electrics in ‘21’ so it has got to have a total rewire; the roof needs some attention; and all in good time for the summer!