Tag Archives: Cornwall

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Helston Railway

Some early Lines – Old Railway Companies

Helston Railway

Gwinnear Rd PicGwinnear Rd Text

Locally promoted, and sanctioned on 9th July, 1880, this 8 miles 67 chains line between Gwinnear Road and Helston required extension of time and extra capital (31st July, 1885) before completion. It was opened on 9th May, 1887, and is notable mainly for the fact that the first GWR buses ran in connection with it. A Light Railway Order for extension to the Lizard was obtained, but buses saved the £85,000 expense of building it; they began running on 17th August, 1903, the Company having been absorbed by the GWR five years earlier, under an Act of 2nd August, 1898.

The first road motor car run by the GWR - Heston - Lizard service, 1903

The first road motor car run by the GWR – Heston – Lizard service, 1903

The Helston Railway Preservation Society was the result, 10 years ago, of a vision by a small number of enthusiasts to re-open a section of the Helston branch line.
We now have a 1000 members!
Winner of the Heritage Railway of the Year Award & the HRA Website Award
Please browse our website and learn more about our wonderful project.

http://www.helstonrailway.co.uk/

Some Early Lines – Old Railway Companies – Hayle Railway

Some Early Lines

Old Railway Companies

Hayle Railway

Portreath Incline PicPortreath Incline Text

Slightly unusual in that the line was authorised (27-6-1834), and the company named afterwards, this was a standard gauge line between Hayle and Tresaveen (Gwennap) – 12 miles, with 5 miles of branches. The Portreath branch opened first, for goods on December 23rd, 1837 (passengers in 1841). With Carn Brea Mines –Redruth (goods) on 11th June, 1838, Redruth – Hayle (passenger) 23rd May, 1843. The Portreath arm did such business with ore and coal that it needed enlarging in 1846. The passenger service on the main line was operated by William Crotch, but he soon passed the responsibility to the Railway. Part of the main line became incorporated into the Paddington – Penzance line, via the W. Cornwall Railway, which absorbed the company on 3rd December, 1846. Regular traffic to Portreath ceased about 1930, and the line closed officially from 1st April, 1938.

Some Early Lines Helston Railway, Cornwall

Some Early Lines

 Helston Railway, Cornwall

Helston Phoenix LocoThis locomotive was purchased by three members of the Helston Diesel Group from the Northampton Ironstone Railway and delivered on the same day as another shunter.  In all respects its build history and design is exactly the same as the other shunter.

The shunter first ran under its own power on Sunday 3 October 2010 following overhaul by the railway’s volunteers and is now in use for passenger trains.

 The Helston Railway was a 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) (standard gauge) railway branch line in Cornwall, United Kingdom, opened in 1887 and absorbed by the Great Western Railway in 1898, continuing in existence as the Helston branch.

It was built to open up the agricultural district of south-west Cornwall, joining Helston to the main line railway network at Gwinear Road, between Penzance and Truro. It was 8.5 miles (13.7 km) long.

Its predominant business was agricultural, but in summer it carried holidaymakers, and its terminus at Helston was the railhead for a pioneering road connection service to the Lizard. During the Second World War there was considerable goods traffic at Nancegollan, sponsored by the Admiralty.

The Helston line was the southernmost branch line in the United Kingdom; it closed to passengers in 1962 and to goods in 1964.

Location

MapThe line ran from Helston, in south-west Cornwall, to a junction with the main line of the Great Western Railway at Gwinear Road(50.1972°N 5.3475°W)(50.1070°N 5.2713°W). The connection there faced Penzance.

The line was 8 miles 67 chains in length. As a purely local line running through difficult terrain, it was heavily curved and graded. Although Helston is an important town, most of the intermediate area was dedicated to agriculture, with little population, and the terminus at Helston was some distance from the seaside.

The main line at Gwinear Road gave direct access to London and the rest of England, on the route that is now known as the Cornish Main Line.

History

Before the advent of the railway, Helston was an important centre for tin and copper mining, as well as being the hub of an area of considerable agricultural production. Local businessmen observed the success that followed the opening of early railways elsewhere in Cornwall and further afield, and from 1825 a succession of schemes for tramroads and railways were put forward, many of them oriented towards Falmouth or Penryn and the River Fal estuary because of the harbour facilities there, (and, later, the arrival of the Cornwall Railway, enabling onward transport of minerals by coastal shipping).

All of these schemes fell by the wayside due to the high cost of crossing the difficult terrain; after the collapse following the Railway Mania in the mid-1840s, money became increasingly scarce, and moreover the shallower seams in the mines began to become worked out, reducing the profitability of local mines.

Finally in 1879 the Helston Railway Company was formed, with a share capital of £70,000, with the object of building a standard gauge railway to Helston, not from the Falmouth area but from Gwinear Road on the West Cornwall line. The Great Western Railway was friendly towards this line, and they agreed to work the line when built.

The line received its Act of Parliament on 9 July 1880, and the first sod was cut at a ceremony on 22 March 1882. Work proceeded but the original contractor found himself in difficulties early in 1884 and work stopped for a period, but was resumed under Lang & Son of Liskeard.

Even as late as 1886 there was debate over the site of the Helston station; the site actually adopted, in Godolphin Road, was some distance to the east of the town centre. Some interests had proposed instead a location nearer the town; however the incremental cost would have been considerable and the proposal was finally dropped. The station was built as potentially a through station, with the idea of extension to the Lizard. This was revived from time to time, but was never acted upon.

The line was opened for the first service train on 9 May 1887

The line today

Although overgrown, much of the alignment of the line remains. Most of the bridges, including the Cober viaduct, are still in good condition as property of the Strategic Rail Authority.

Helston Station, Cornwall The former station at Helston has been surrounded by housing development, but the site is identifiable, north-west of Godolphin Road and between Station Road and Park an Harvey. The former GWR goods shed has been converted into part of a sheltered housing development (Henshorn Court), but all the other buildings have been demolished and the site has become wooded.

North from Helston the first visible trace of the railway is the stub of a bridge on the edge of the Water-Ma-Trout industrial estate.

At Nancegollan, a business park stands on the site of the former station, although the bridges remain in situ. At Praze, a house has been built on the station site and two road bridges either side of the approach have been demolished. The cuttings near to Gwinear Road have been in-filled.

Future Prospects and Railway Preservation

Cober ViaductCober Viaduct

 Since April 2005, The Helston Railway Preservation Company has undertaken extensive restoration work on the southernmost part of the line, between Prospidnick and Truthall.

As of June 2013, 1 mile of track has been re-laid, and public passenger rides are available on Thursdays, Sundays and bank holiday weekends from Easter through to October.

The Helston Railway had constructed a station platform on the Trevarno Estate, however they have now relocated 544 yards north to a new temporary platform site at Prospidnick Halt, as the Trevarno Estate has been purchased by new owners. The Trevarno Estate is now a private dwelling, instead of a tourist attraction and is not available for public access. The Helston Railway track itself is not affected and public access is now at Prospidnick, respectively.

What’s on in 2013

This is our second year of running services for customers, so it is likely that more events will be added as we go through the year. Therefore, please check details below before you come to see us.

Open every Thursday and Sunday and Bank holiday weekend until the 3rd November. Trains run every half hour from 10.30 am until 4pm.

Brake Van rides : Children under 5 free. Adult £5, Children (over 5) £3, Family £12 (2 adults and 3 children).

All Day Rovers: Adult £8, Children £6.

Footplate rides £10.

Special Events

Thursday 31st October. Its Halloween Day – themed buffet and fancy dress welcome! Open 10.30am to 4pm as usual.

December 14th &15th, 21st & 22nd. Santa Specials.

DMU

 http://www.helstonrailway.co.uk

Some Early Lines – Bodmin & Wenford Railway & Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway

Some Early Lines

Bodmin & Wenford Railway

&

Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway

Bodmin & Wadebridge Map

History of the Line

The broad gauge (7ft 0¼ins) Cornwall Railway was opened between Plymouth and Truro in 1859. It had a station at Bodmin Road and became part of the Great Western Railway in 1876.

The Bodmin branch line was authorized by Act of Parliament on 10 August 1882. The first sod was cut in March 1884 and the line opened from Bodmin Road (now Bodmin Parkway) to Bodmin, a distance of 3½ miles, on 27 May 1887, built to standard gauge (4ft 8½ins).

A further line, from Bodmin to Boscarne Junction, a distance of 3 miles, was opened in September 1888 to connect with the existing Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway, which had opened back in 1834 (running from Wadebridge to Wenfordbridge, with a branch to Bodmin). The Bodmin & Wadebridge line was one of the first railways in the world to use steam locomotives and certainly the first in Cornwall, and was taken over by the London & South Western Railway in 1847.

HellandbridgeThe old railway line at Hellandbridge

The Wenford bridge branch of the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway ran between these two buildings, and it was a tight squeeze. This is now part of the Camel Trail cycle path.  © Copyright Ron Strutt and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

 30585-hellandHellandbridge – with and without a train!

The LSWR became part of the Southern Railway in 1923, and this formed the Southern Region of British Railways upon nationalization in 1948. BR Western Region, as successor to the GWR, took control of the SR stations in the area for commercial purposes from 1950-58, and gained complete control in January 1963.

Steam hauled passenger services ended on the line in 1963. Rationalisation started in June 1964 when a shuttle service was introduced between Bodmin North and Boscarne Junction, where new exchange facilities were established. Withdrawal of all passenger services between Padstow and Bodmin Road took place on 30 January 1967.

Freight trains continued to run between Bodmin Road and Wadebridge until September 1978. The line to Wenfordbridge remained open for china clay traffic until 03 October 1983, when complete closure of the route took place.

Efforts to preserve the branch line, with a view to reopening it as a heritage steam railway, began shortly after closure. The Bodmin Railway Preservation Society (BRPS) was thus formed in July 1984. In a bid to raise the £139,600 needed to purchase the line from Bodmin Parkway to Boscarne Junction, via Bodmin General, the Bodmin & Wenford Railway plc was formed by the Society. The Company successfully purchased the track, and North Cornwall District Council (now part of Cornwall Council) secured the land, from British Rail.

EPSON scanner imageBodmin (General) Station

View northward, to buffer-stops; ex-GWR terminus of branch from Bodmin Road (‘Bodmin Parkway’ since 4/11/84). The station and lines from Bodmin Road, also from Wadebridge were closed on 30/1/67, but on 31/3/86 the Heritage Bodmin & Wenford Railway began to operate trains again from Bodmin General.  © Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

 The first Open Day was held on Sunday 1 June 1986, when a small steam locomotive – former Devonport Dockyard 0-4-0ST No 19 – performed shunting demonstrations at Bodmin General Station. These were the first authorised train movements in the preservation era, and thus the Bodmin & Wenford Railway is proud to celebrate its 25th anniversary in 2011.

The necessary Light Railway Order was obtained on 31 August 1989. Regular services between Bodmin Parkway and Bodmin General were restored on 17 June 1990, and the line was extended back to Boscarne Junction six years later, on 15 August 1996.

Since then the Bodmin & Wenford Railway has operated trains – principally steam, but with some heritage diesel services – over the 6½ miles between Bodmin Parkway and Boscarne Junction via Bodmin General.

Station & SBBodmin Station and Signalbox

Bodmin General station is now the headquarters of the Bodmin & Wenford Railway. It currently operates trains between Bodmin Parkway, the junction with the main line, and Boscarne Junction, and has aims to extend along the closed line to Wadebridge.  © Copyright Ron Strutt and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

 The railway has now firmly established itself as one of the country’s finest steam railways, Cornwall’s only full size (standard gauge) railway still regularly operated by steam locomotives………and a great family attracktion!

http://www.bodminrailway.co.uk/

Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway

Bodmin General Wadebridge

The Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway was a railway line opened in 1834 in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. It linked the town of Bodmin with the harbour at Wadebridge and also quarries at Wenfordbridge. Its intended traffic was minerals to the port at Wadebridge and sea sand, used to improve agricultural land, inwards. Passengers were also carried on part of the line.

It was the first steam-powered railway line in the county and predated the main line to London by 25 years.

It was always desperately short of money, both for initial construction and for actual operation. In 1846 it was purchased by the London and South Western Railway, when that company hoped to gain early access to Cornwall for its network, but in fact those intentions were much delayed, and the little line was long isolated.

China clay extraction was developed at Wenfordbridge and sustained mineral traffic on the line for many years, but passenger use declined and the line closed to passengers in 1967, the china clay traffic continuing until 1978.

Much of the route now forms part of the Camel Trail, a cycle and footpath from Wenfordbridge to Padstow

The present Bodmin & Wadebridge Railway Company Ltd is connected with the Bodmin & Wenford Railway organisation and is working towards the reinstatement of the railway line from Boscarne Junction to Wadebridge (Guineport) on behalf of the Bodmin & Wenford Railway.

The Bodmin & Wenford Railway is a heritage railway running mainly steam trains from Bodmin Parkway to Boscarne Junction via Bodmin General.

The Bodmin & Wenford Railway is run mainly by volunteers who are members of the Bodmin Railway Preservation Society and is supported by the Bodmin & Wenford Railway Trust

At Wadebridge http://www.bodminandwadebridgerailway.co.uk/

Miniature Railways – Lappa Valley Steam Railway

Miniature Railways

Lappa Valley Steam Railway

lappa-plan

Lappa Valley Steam Railway – Track & Stations

Our steam railway is built to 15 inch gauge (350mm gauge) which is approximately one-quarter of the size of standard gauge railways. This gauge was selected in 1973 by the founder of the railway, Eric Booth, as being the most efficient gauge for a line of our length.

The track runs on a section of the trackbed originally built in 1849 for a minerals railway to serve the mine at East Wheal Rose.

We have one mile of track running through the Lappa Valley between our stations at Benny Halt and East Wheal Rose. Car parking and our ticket office can be found at Benny Halt while the rest of our activities are located at East Wheal Rose at the end of your journey by steam train. We run regular scheduled services in season and some special events. Click here for our timetable.

Lappa Valley Steam Railway – Rolling Stock

muffin5

We have ten 15 inch gauge carriages which were built for us in ‘toast-rack’ style by Jays Gates of St Newlyn East (now Mid-Cornwall Metal Fabrications of Newquay). Over the years we have made alterations to the carriages to suit different weather conditions – some are more open than others for sunny days and one, the ‘First Class’ coach, has been panelled in wood with upholstered seats – if available, you may travel in it at no extra cost!

 Lappa Valley Steam Railway – Locomotives

zebedee6Zebedee – 15 inch gauge railway

0-6-4 Pannier tank locomotive, coal fired. Designed by David Curwen, built 1974 by Severn Lamb of Stratford-upon-Avon.

muffin6-2Muffin – 15 inch gauge railway

0-6-0 Tender locomotive, coal fired. Designed by David Curwen, built 1967 by Berwyn Engineering of Chippenham.

EricEric – 10¼ inch gauge railway

0-6-0 diesel hydraulic Perkins 22 bhp. Designed and built by Alan Keef Ltd of Ross-on-Wye.

woodlandrailway-montage1 APTAPT – 7¼ inch gauge railway

4w + 4w, petrol, single cylinder 8 hp. Built by Mardyke Miniature Railways of Rainham.

http://www.lappavalley.co.uk/

 History

 Minerals Railway – Lappa Valley

The Lappa Valley Railway runs on one of the oldest railway track beds in Cornwall. In 1843 J. T. Treffry, a pioneer of Cornish railways, suggested building a tramway between Par and the growing port of Newquay, with a branch to East Wheal Rose mine which was then entering its most prosperous period.

It took Treffry six years to overcome local opposition to his scheme and modifications to the route were needed. The tramway was eventually built from Newquay to St. Dennis, with a branch to East Wheal Rose. The first cargo of ore from East Wheal Rose, weighing thirty tons, was carried in horse-drawn tubs to Newquay harbour on 26th February 1849.

In 1874, following an Act of Parliament, Treffry’s network of tramways, including the East Wheal Rose branch, was taken over by the Cornwall Minerals Railway and horses were replaced by steam locomotives.

eastwhealrosestation7

Some Early Lines – North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway

Some Early Lines

North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway

Map of the Line

North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway

North Devon Railway

Torrington –  River Torridge – Watergate Halt –  Yarde Halt – Dunsbear Halt

Marland Works – Petrockstow –  Meeth Works –  Wooladon Clay Pits

Meeth Halt – Hatherleigh –  Hole –   Okehampton to Bude Line to Bude

 North Cornwall Railway

Halwill Junction –   Okehampton to Bude Line to Okehampton

Highampton: Course of the Railway

The line was the North Devon & Cornwall Junction Light Railway, the last significant railway to be constructed in the south west, opened in July 1925. It linked Great Torrington with Halwill Junction where there were trains to Exeter, Bude and Padstow. Looking east  © Copyright Martin Bodman and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

 The North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway was a railway built to serve numerous ball clay pits that lay in the space between the London and South Western Railway’s Torrington branch, an extension of the North Devon Railway group, and Halwill, an important rural junction on the North Cornwall Railway and its Okehampton to Bude Line.

Ball clay was an important mineral but its weight and bulk required efficient transportation; the material had been brought to main line railways by a 3 ft (914 mm) gauge tramway. Expanding volumes prompted conversion to a light railway — requiring less complex engineering and operational procedures than a full railway — and it was opened on 27 July 1925.

Hatherleigh – images.mitrasites.com

Passengers were carried in addition to the mineral traffic, but the business largely consisted of workers at the ball clay pits themselves. (Thomas says, “The largest place on the railway is Hatherleigh … a market town in the centre of a barren countryside, it is badly decayed”.)

The conversion from a tramway was overseen by Colonel Stephens, the famous owner and operator of marginal English and Welsh railways. Although in construction details typically Stephens this was visually a Southern Railway branch line . It survived in independent status until nationalisation of the railways in 1948, and continued in operation until 1 March 1965. The northern part from Meeth and Marland, which was reconstructed from the narrow gauge railway, continued to carry ball clay, but not passengers, until August 1982.

Meeth Halt (disused)

The North Devon and Cornwall Junction Light Railway closed in 1965. This must always have been a tiny station. It now serves as a starting point for a cyclepath along the former line as a branch of the Tarka Trail.  © Copyright Derek Harper and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

 Route

Built as cheaply as possible, and partly following the alignment of the former tramway, the railway had continuous sharp curves and ruling gradients in the range of 1 in 45 to 1 in 50.

The line was single throughout, worked by Electric Train Token, and with a maximum speed of 20 mph from Torrington to Dunsbear Halt, and 25 mph from there to Halwill.

The 1964/65 working timetable shows two throughout trains each way daily, taking about 80 minutes by diesel multiple unit for the 20 mile journey. There were three freight trains Mondays to Fridays serving the clay sidings from the Torrington end. There were no trains on Sundays.

Halwill Junction – images.mitrasite.com

 

Some Early Lines The Launceston Steam Railway Narrow Gauge

Some Early Lines

The Launceston Steam Railway

Narrow Gauge

A train pulled by the steam locomotives “Velinheli” and “Lilian” enters Launceston Station on the Launceston Steam Railway, England.

 Date 2006-06-03 (original upload date)  Source Transferred from en.wikipedia; Transfer was stated to be made by User:oxyman.  Author Original uploader was Chicken pie at en.wikipedia  Permission  (Reusing this file)   This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Generic license.

The Launceston Steam Railway is narrow gauge railway operating from the town of Launceston in Cornwall. The railway is built on the trackbed of the North Cornwall Railway to the gauge of 1 ft 11 1⁄2 in (597 mm) and runs for 2½ miles to Newmills, where there is a farm park.

History

Standard gauge railway

The first railway to reach Launceston was the Launceston and South Devon Railway, opened in 1865 from Launceston to Plymouth, and later absorbed into the Great Western Railway. In 1886 the London and South Western Railway opened its railway from Halwill Junction, extended to Padstow in stages in the 1890s, and later part of the Southern Railway. The two Launceston stations were side by side: the Great Western closed in 1962 and the Southern in 1966.Launceston Railway Station, Cornwall

The station is on the narrow gauge Launceston Steam Railway. © Copyright nick macneill and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Narrow gauge revival

In 1965, trainee teacher Nigel Bowman rescued the steam locomotive “Lilian” from the Penrhyn Slate Quarry in North Wales, and restored her to working order at his home in Surrey. He then set about looking for a site to build a railway for Lilian to run on, and settled on Launceston in 1971, after considering a stretch of trackbed from Guildford to Horsham and the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway. Purchase of the trackbed took several years, and the first ½ mile of track opened on Boxing Day 1983. The railway was extended progressively, the latest opening to Newmills in 1995 bringing the line to its current 2½ mile length.Steam Engine at Launceston

Taken at the Launceston end of the short railway line. The engine is steaming up before setting off down the track.  © Copyright Mick Heraty and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

  The LSR starts at a new station just west of the original LSWR station, which is now an industrial estate. Launceston station is the main station on the railway, and the sheds and engineering facilities are located here. The line runs from the station through a cutting, passing under a road bridge and aqueduct carrying a mill leat, before crossing the River Kensey on a two-arch viaduct. The line is now on an embankment and crosses a bridge over a farm track before arriving at Hunt’s Crossing, where it is planned to lay a passing loop. After Hunt’s Crossing the line crosses two farm crossings and then reaches Canna Park which was the temporary terminus before the extension to Newmills. From Canna Park there is a fairly short run to Newmills, the terminus. Adjacent to the Newmills station is the Newmills Farm Park.

 Steam Engine at Newmills

End of the short railway line from Launceston to Newmills, steam engine waiting at the platform.  © Copyright Mick Heraty and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Steam Locomotives of a Leisurely Era – Beattie 2-4-0WT

Steam Locomotives of a Leisurely Era

London & South Western Railway – 1863

 Beattie 2-4-0WT

 No. 0329 after its 1921 rebuilding.  H.C.Casserley

In 1863 Joseph Beattie introduced some 2-4-0WT engines for suburban working which remained a standard type for the rest of his tenure in office, and also for that of his son, W.G.Beattie, who followed him from the years 1871-8.  In all, 88 of the class were constructed, 85 from Beyer Peacock & Co., and the other three built in the Company’s own works at Nine Elms.  They worked most of the London area suburban services until displaced in the 1880s by Adams’ larger 4-4-2Ts, after which many of them were converted to 2-4-0 tender engines.  With three exceptions the whole class was withdrawn between 1888 and 1899, and it could be hardly have been imagined at the time that these three were destined to outlast all their sisters by at least another sixty years, with a life of more than three times that of any of the rest of the class.  Such, however, has proved to be the case.Two of the then three remaining Beattie 2-4-0 Well-tank engines, used on the Wenford Bridge line until 1962, on an RCTS railtour shunting at Hampton Court station in December 1962.  The engines were 30585 and 30587 G.D.King.

The reason for this retention was that they were found to be the only suitable engines for working the Wenford Bridge mineral line in north Cornwall, which has numerous curves and is of light construction.  These conditions still apply, in consequence of which the engines have been several times rebuilt and renewed and, but for the eventual probability of being replaced by diesels, would seemingly have been destined to carry on indefinitely.  Previous to 1921 they had carried boilers and chimneys of Adams pattern, but in that year they received new Drummond type boilers with ‘pop’ safety valves on the dome, although retaining the stove-pipe chimneys for the time being.  Later these were discarded for Drummond chimneys, and amongst other minor alterations steel buffer beams have replaced the original wooden ones.  Otherwise the design has undergone little change.30586 – In spite of their age the 0298 class do a good day’s work.  One is used for the Wenford Bridge mineral line, another for station pilot duties at Wadebridge, whilst the third is kept as a spare engine.  Here is No. 30586, dropping off a fitted van just taken from the rear of a down Oakhampton to Padstow train.  Derek Cross.

The original numbers of the engines were 298, 314, and 329, later transferred to the duplicate list as 0298, etc., whilst in Southern days they became 3298, 3324, and 3329.  On absorption into British Railways stock they were renumbered respectively 30587, 30585 and 30586.  All were from the last two batches built by Beyer Peacock & Co. in 1874-5.

Driving wheels – 5’ 7”,  Cylinders – 16½”x20”, Pressure – 160lbs.,  Tractive effort – 11050lbs.,  Weight 37tons 16cwt., LSWR and SR power classification K,  Br power classification OP

30587 approaching Chasewater Heaths from Chasetown Church Street

 Chasewater Railway was proud to feature Beattie 30587 during the Spring Gala of 2004.  Having a prestigious locomotive working on our lines attracted interest from members, guests and the visiting public.  The occasion provided excellent photo-shoot opportunities and we are indebted to Michael Denholm for allowing us to use some of his photographs.