Tag Archives: chasewaterstuff

Canal News – Waterway Watch 21-8-2012

Canal News – Waterway Watch

21-8-2012

Canal & River Trust Announces navigation advisory group

Maintaining canal and river navigations for use by boats is at the core of what the Trust does. We want to ensure that our managers’ decisions are well informed by those who navigate the waterways regularly.

The Navigation advisory group will comprise boaters with a variety of backgrounds to bring as broad a range of perspectives as possible to decision making.

There will be two sub groups:

Navigation Operations

Advice relating to safety standards, waterway operation, maintenance & repairs, and customer service standards.

Sue Cawson – Historic narrowboat owner and champion of navigation issues for the Historic Narrowboat Club. Current chair of (SUFBRS) the society responsible for the care and restoration of fly boat Saturn.

John Baylis – Extensive experience of national boating issues amassed through 45 years of boating. Ex-chairman of the IWA Navigation Committee, a post held for 12 years. Ran restoration of Frankton Locks on Montgomery Canal for Waterway Recovery Group (WRG). Now largely uses his metal and design work skills through work with WRG.

David Fletcher — Engineering consultant in the oil industry, boat owner and chairman of the National Association of Boat Owners.

Ian Harrison – Chartered civil engineer specialising in ground engineering. Experienced in local government and has a focus on regeneration and external funding. A boat owner for 38 years.

Mike Carter – Committee member of the Commercial Boat Operators Association (CBOA), owner of a mooring basin and more latterly owner and proprietor of a repair yard / dry dock. Currently operates as a marine surveyor and consultant. Owns two historic craft.

Malcolm Blundell – Lifelong boating enthusiast, boat owner and builder. Recently retired information and analysis professional, and now cruises the system extensively, reporting on travels through his website (www.wicked-game.co.uk)

Kevin East – Professional background in the telecoms industry on the civil and mechanical engineering side. Waterway and environment manager at Canoe England and a member of the Canoe Camping Club National Council.

Licensing & Mooring

Advice relating to boat licensing and moorings policies and the way in which they are implemented.

Paul Le Blique – A professional engineer and narrowboater of many years. Current national chairman of the Association of Waterways Cruising Clubs (AWCC).

Tim Parker– Currently chairman of Association of Pleasure Craft Operators (APCO). Retired recently from Black Prince Holidays Ltd – a major hire fleet – where he was managing director.

Beryl McDowall – Has lived on boats since late 1960s and has worked on commercial craft for many years particularly on the Grand Union Canal south and River Soar. An officer of the Residential Boat Owners’ Association (RBOA) since 1999. Owns small-scale mooring site on River Soar

Mark Walton – A residential boater without a home mooring who has been active in progressing discussion on mooring strategy – particularly around the London and South East regions. Currently a member of Defra’s Civil Society Advisory Board..

Mike Annan – A narrowboat owner and honorary secretary of the Dutch Barge Association. Over 30 years’ experience working in the voluntary sector, more recently (before retirement) as CEO of various housing associations.

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1897 4-2-2-0 London & South Western Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1897  4-2-2-0

London & South Western Railway

720 as running in 1921

The third type of four-cylinder engine to appear in 1897 was Dugald Drummond’s first express engine for the LSWR.  It was an experimental machine with two independent pairs of single driving wheels, the two inside cylinders driving the front pair and the outside ones the rear.  This arrangement had been used by F.W.Webb on the LNWR, but whereas the Webb engines were compound, the new South Western was a simple expansion machine.  Amongst other features it embodied for the first time Drummond’s firebox water tubes, as depicted by the rectangular casing alongside the firebox.  This was applied to all of Drummond’s tender engines from 1900 onwards, but they were eventually removed by Urie in later days.  No.720 was at first fitted with a 4’ 5” diameter boiler similar to Class T9, and a further five very similar engines, Nos. 369-73 were built in 1901.  In 1907, No.720 received a larger boiler of 4’ 10¾” diameter, but the other five were never so rebuilt, although all eventually lost their water tubes.

As the driving wheels were uncoupled the engines suffered to some extent from the defect of all single wheelers, tending to slipping with a heavy load on a wet rail, and for this reason they were not greatly popular.  They were capable of good performances at times, but were latterly only used in times of heavy traffic when there was a shortage of engines.  All six were broken up in 1926-7, No.720 was classified T7 and Nos.369-75 E10.

Driving wheels – 6’ 7”,  Bogie wheels – 3’ 7”,  Cylinders (4) 14”x 26”,  Pressure 175 lb.,  LSWR & SR power classification I

johnmightycat1

Some Early Lines – The Chippenham and Calne Line

Some Early Lines

The Chippenham and Calne Line

Calne Station railuk.info

 The Chippenham and Calne Line was a five mile long Great Western Railway built single track branch railway line that ran along the valley of the River Marden in Wiltshire, England, that ran from Chippenham railway station on the Great Western Main Line to Calne via two intermediate stations, Stanley Bridge Halt, and Black Dog Halt.

History

On 8 November 1859, the first meeting to discuss opening a branch line from the GWR at Chippenham to Calne was held. The Calne Railway Company was formed and Parliament granted the necessary Act on 15 May 1860. Built as a replacement for the overwhelmed Melksham Calne and Chippenham Branch of the Wiltshire and Berkshire Canal, the line was authorised on 15 May 1860 and opened to freight 29 October 1863. Calne opened to passengers on 3 November 1863 with a private halt at Black Dog Halt. Stanley Bridge Halt in 1905. The railway was originally brought to Calne by the inability of the once-prosperous Calne branch of the Wilts and Berks Canal to cope efficiently with the requirements of local industry. As demand grew across the country for products from the Harris Bacon Factory, Calne’s main employer at the time, it became clear that a modern transport system was needed.

With no tunnels required, the construction of the line was simple and was built in the broad gauge of 7′ 0½” opening to freight traffic on 29 October 1863. The line was then opened to passengers from 3 November 1863, an unofficial holiday in Calne. From the start the service was operated by the Great Western Railway on behalf of the Calne Railway Company.wessexcam.com

Initially there were no intermediate stations on the line but a private station was opened at Black Dog Siding for Lord Lansdowne in 1863 and a halt was opened at Stanley Bridge in 1905 with the introduction of steam railcars onto the branch. In August 1874 the line was converted to standard gauge. The independent Calne Railway Company was absorbed into the GWR in 1892. Both fright and passenger traffic was good and continued to improve through the later years of the 19th century and in 1895 the terminus at Calne underwent extensive renovations and enlargement. The steam railcars were withdrawn from the branch in the mid 1930s.

The passenger station was used during WW2 to transport both servicemen and equipment to the Royal Air Force bases at Compton Bassett and Yatesbury and the goods station also saw increased trade with an increase in coal traffic, fuel for the RAF stations and animal feeds and grain for the local millers. The line had two near misses during German bombing raids in the Second World War, when bombs fell close to the station and the tracks.

The greatly mourned institution, the branch line goods train on a July evening in 1952.  0-6-0PT No.8783 is leaving Calne for Chippenham..  Photo: P.M.Alexander/CPL

The line was still producing a good profit in the 1950s. Figures for the year ending September 1952, showed an income of more than £150,000, with 300,000 passengers. However, as the Harris factory began to use the roads to transport more of its products, the railway began to see a drop in revenue. DMUs were brought onto the line in September 1958.

Following the closures of the RAF stations at Yatesbury and Compton Bassett, passenger numbers diminished rapidly and by late 1963, freight services had been cut to one a weekday, while Sunday passenger services had been withdrawn. Freight services were withdrawn on 2 November 1964 and the end was inevitable with Calne finally losing its passenger service during the Beeching cuts closing on 18 September 1965. Most of track was lifted between Easter and June 1967 leaving just a short section near the junction which was used as a siding. By 1972 a section of the track had been opened up to the public as the Marden Nature Trail and today most of the 6 mile route between Chippenham and Calne is part of the National Cycle Network and known as the Chippenham/Calne Railway Path.

Railway bridge over old Chippenham to Calne branch line  © Copyright Doug Lee and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Rail structures on Great Western Line get protected status

Rail structures on Great Western Line get protected status

Box Tunnel
Box Tunnel in Wiltshire has received Grade II-listed status

Related Stories

A number of railway structures in Wiltshire, Bristol and Somerset are among those given protected status after an English Heritage consultation.

They are all located along the Great Western Main Line which was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Amongst those protected is the Brunel-designed Box Tunnel in Wiltshire, which has received Grade II listed status.

English Heritage’s Emily Gee said the Brunel connection is “really important”.

“Almost every structure on the line has that historic interest, but those that we’ve listed are the ones that survived particularly well,” she said.

“Some of them might be representative examples in that it’s partly what makes them special, and others might have a particular design that relates to their setting, and that’s something Brunel was really significant in doing.”

The River Avon Viaduct near Chippenham, the entrance portals of the Chipping Sodbury tunnel and its six ventilator shafts near Bristol and the Sydney Gardens Footbridge in Bath are also now Grade II listed.

The 116-mile (187km) line was built 176 years ago by Brunel to open up trade routes.

Sydney Gardens Footbridge
Sydney Gardens Footbridge is the last surviving example of Brunel’s cast-iron bridges on the line

It runs from London through Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Somerset and Gloucestershire to Bristol.

Network Rail is spending £350m on expanding and electrifying part of the Great Western main line over the next five years.

Heritage Minister John Penrose said: “Our railways and the historic buildings that go along with them are a wonderful and emotive part of our national heritage, symbolising for many of us a sense of romance, history and adventure. And nowhere more so, perhaps, than on the Great Western Railway.

“I am very pleased to be able to give these buildings, bridges and tunnels the extra protection that listing provides.”

Related Stories

Six railway structures in Oxfordshire have been given protected status after an English Heritage consultation.

They are all located along the Great Western Main Line which was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Amongst the structures protected is Moulsford Viaduct in south Oxfordshire, which has been upgraded from Grade II to Grade II*.

The Moulsford Viaduct was described as “impressive and imposing”

Roger Orchard, operations manager at Didcot Railway Centre, said the bridge was “as good as gold”.

“It’s 175 years old and is still going strong. It definitely deserves a place in history,” he said.

“All the bridges Brunel designed deserve that status because they were pioneers.”

Bourton Bridge is now one of 100 listed structures along the route

Thame Lane Bridge, Silly Bridge, Bourton Church Bridge, Bourton Bridge and Culham Station Overbridge are now Grade II listed.

Civil engineer Richard Antliff has a particular fondness for the overbridge.

He said: “Its parapet stones had lettering carved into them by the students of the nearby ecclesiastical college.

“It had a strict 19th Century regime and they would only have a couple of hours to go for a walk and carve their initials and names into the stones.

“They are beautiful carvings and block lettering which makes it a little bit special.”

There are now more than 100 listed structures along the Great Western route.

It was authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1835, which permitted the construction of a line from London to Bristol.

The Oxford branch, completed in 1844, and the Berks and Hants Line, completed in 1847, were added next.

Heritage minister John Penrose said: “Our railways and the historic buildings that go along with them are a wonderful and emotive part of our national heritage, symbolising for many of us a sense of romance, history and adventure.

“I am very pleased to be able to give these buildings, bridges and tunnels the extra protection that listing provides.”

Some Early Lines – The Midland Railway in the East Midlands

Some Early Lines

The Midland Railway in the East Midlands

The Midland spread its rail network like spiders’ webs throughout the eastern Midlands, with tentacles reaching out to the Great Northern’s main line at Peterborough and Newark and the Great Eastern at St. Ives with running to Cambridge.  Most branches were run by 0-4-4 tanks and elderly 2-4-0s or 0-6-0s with standard class 2P 4-4-0s on the secondary lines.  This Pattern remained until Stanier’s coming when his new standardisation construction released some Fowler engines for work where weight restrictions allowed.

One of the branches to succumb in the fuel shortage period immediately after World War II was that from Duffield to Wirksworth in Derbyshire (16th June 1947).  This photograph (taken in the 1920s) shows Johnson 1P 0-4-4 tank No.1428 in early lined out LMS red livery approaching Duffield with a branch train.  Photo: W.Leslie Good, P.B.Whitehouse collection.

The Wirksworth branch served an unusual purpose in that its terminus was used by Derby Works as a prime spot for some of its official photographs.  When the ex-Midland Railway locos were stored in the works, prior to the establishment of a national museum, the opportunity (in 1960) was taken to ensure their preservation on film and they were hauled up to Wirksworth dead in a train (complete with brake van) by the Midland Compound and duly lined up for the official photographer.  The photographs were taken from the station platform and even at that late date a large plate camera was used.  Shown here is Kirtley 2-4-0 No.158A.  Photo: P.B.Whitehouse.

Buxton was served by two of the LMS constituent companies, the LNWR from Millers Dale on the main (now closed) Derby – Manchester line.  The stations lay side by side in Buxton and tank engines usually operated the services, the LNWR using the Bowen Cooke 4-6-2Ts and the Midland its smaller 0-4-4Ts.  Sometimes, however, trains ran south beyond Millers Dale and here is Class 2 4-4-0 No.447 at Buxton (Midland) on 3rd May 1934.  Photo: H.C.Casserley.

Manton Station on 26th May 1953 with Fowler 2-6-4 tank as BR No.42330, leaving with the 2.10pm Kettering to Melton Mowbray train.  Manton was the junction for Luffenham, Stamford and Peterborough.  Photo: P.M.Alexander.

Still carrying her Midland Railway cast iron smokebox number plate, Kirtley double framed 2-4-0 No.12 heads a Kettering to Cambridge train near Cambridge in the early days of the LMS.  Photo: P.B.Whitehouse collection.

An LNWR/Midland Joint line left Nuneaton (TV) and meandered via Shackerstone to Burton, the last section from Overseal and Moira to Burton being pure Midland.  The passenger service was axed on 13th April 1931.  MR Johnson class 1P 0-4-4 tank No.1369 in unlined black is seen here approaching Ashby Junction, Nuneaton with an Ashby and Burton train in 1930.  Photo: A.W.Flowers.

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1896 Dunalastairs Caledonian Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1896 Dunalastairs

Caledonian Railway

Dunalastair I No.14318 as finally running in 1932.

J.F.McIntosh’s first engines for the Caledonian Railway after his accession in 1895 were the famous Dunalastair class 4-4-0s, which at the time of their appearance were amongst the largest engines in the country.  The design was in effect a development of the somewhat similar engines built by Lambie in 1894, which had in turn evolved from those built by Dugald Drummond in 1884.  The Dunalastairs themselves were again gradually enlarged, and four distinct varieties, known as the Dunalastair I, II, III and Dunalastair IV classes, appeared between 1895 and 1910.  The last engine of the 1910 batch was fitted with a superheater and some of the dimensions were modified.  It was the first superheated engine in Scotland and one of the first in Great Britain.  Following on its success another 21 similar engines were built between 1911 and 1914.  Finally W.Pickerskill introduced yet another enlargement of the design, of which 48 were constructed between 1916 and 1922.  Most of these were still running in 1959 as BR Nos. 54461-54508, but the last of the Dunalastair IV’s had gone by 1957.  The LMS numbers of the Dunalastair I’s were 14311-25: these all went in the early 1930s.  The Dunalastair II’s were 14326-36, of which the last survivor was 14333 in 1947, and the Dunalastair III’s were 14337-65 (a few were rebuilt to IV).  Several of these lasted until the late 1940s.  Nos. 14330-60 were the IV’s, some of which had been rebuilt from Dunalastair II or III class.

A pair of McIntosh ‘Dunalastair III’ class 2P 4-4-0s, with No.14348 leading, prepare to leave Callender with a special train for Dunblane in 1936.  E.E.Smith

Dunalastair I – Driving wheels – 6’ 6”,  Cylinders – 18¼”x 26”,  Pressure – 160lb.,  Tractive effort – 15100lb.,  Weight – 47 tons,  LMS classification – 2P

Dunalastair II – Driving wheels – 6’ 6”,  Cylinders – 19”x 26”,  Pressure – 175lb.,  Tractive effort – 17900lb.,  Weight – 49 tons,  LMS classification – 2P

Dunalastair III – Driving wheels – 6’ 6”,  Cylinders – 19”x 26”,  Pressure – 180lb.,  Tractive effort – 18411lb.,  Weight – 51 tons 14 cwt,  LMS classification – 3P

Dunalastair IV – Driving wheels – 6’ 6”,  Cylinders – 20¼”x 26”,  Pressure – 180lb.,  Tractive effort – 20915lb.,  Weight – 61 tons 5 cwt,  LMS classification – 3P

Pickersgill – Driving wheels – 6’ 6”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”*,  Pressure – 180lb.,  Tractive effort – 20400lb*.,  Weight – 61 tons 5 cwt,  LMS classification – 3P  (* the later engines had 20½”x 26” cylinders, with tractive effort  21435 lb.)

‘Dunalastair IV’ superheated rebuild, class 3P 4-4-0 No.14439, allocated to Carstairs shed, heads a southbound coal train near Uddington on August 23, 1947.  No.14439 survived to be the last of all the 87 McIntosh 4-4-0s when withdrawn from the Highland section in 1958.  E.R.Wethersett.

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1894 Jones 4-6-0 Highland Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1894    Jones 4-6-0  Highland Railway

No 117 as running without smokebox wing plates

These engines are famous as being the first examples of the 4-6-0 type in the British Isles, a wheel arrangement that has since become so widespread and universally popular.  Fifteen of them were built by Sharp Stewart & Co. in 1894, and at the time they were the most powerful main line engines in the country.  Although intended primarily for freight work they have also done much passenger duty in the height of the busy season, and were of inestimable value to the highland under its difficult operational conditions.  They remained little altered throughout their existence except for the removal in some cases of the smokebox wing plates and the substitution of a later pattern of chimney for the distinctive Highland louvre type.  Their original numbers were 103–17, and they became LMS Nos.17916-30 at the grouping.  They were taken out of service gradually between 1929 and 1940, but the original No.103 was preserved and has recently been restored to working order in its original condition (1959).No. 103  preserved – photo:  Malcolm McCrow

Driving wheels – 5’ 3”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”,  Pressure – 175 lb., – Weight – 56 tons.

engrailhistory

Canal News – July 12th 2012 – Canal & River Trust Launched

Canal News – July 12th 2012

12 July 2012  Canal & River Trust launches today

Today is an historic day; the day in which the Government places 2,000 miles of canals and rivers in trust for the nation and the new charity, the Canal & River Trust, is launched.

Marsworth, Grand Union Canal

From today, the 10 million people who visit and love the waterways will have the chance to play a greater role in making them more beautiful than ever. Here at the Trust we’re very excited about this new approach to caring for our canals and rivers, and of course we’re delighted to have the Prince of Wales as our Patron.

The move, part of the Public Bodies Reform programme, is the largest single transfer of a public body into the charitable sector and will give communities the opportunity to get involved with the running of their local canal or river.

To mark our launch, we have unveiled our first appeal, 50 projects across the nation that will breathe new life into towpaths and riverbanks. By pledging money or time, people can get involved in projects such as creating new habitats for rare water voles, planting linear orchards for people and wildlife, and restoring neglected towpaths. Take a look at our appeal projects, learn how to become a Friend of the Canal & River Trust and find out how you can get involved with our work.

 Archimedes – One of the few working boats on the Regents Canal.

The Regent’s Canal is a nine-mile man-made stretch of water connecting the Grand Union Canal at Little Venice to the River Thames. The first section of the canal from Little Venice was opened in 1816 and the final section at Limehouse Basin in 1820. The canal has 13 sets of locks.  © Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Actor and comedian, Hugh Dennis, who is supporting the Canal & River Trust’s appeal, comments: “For me, as a Londoner, the Regent’s Canal provided a small slice of rural tranquillity right in the middle of a chaotic and bustling city, and its towpath a route to work, my running track, or just a place to watch the world go by. The Canal & River Trust needs your help to make your towpaths even more special. Volunteering or making a small donation will make a huge difference to the people and nature along your local waterway.”

We’re very grateful to the many committed people and organisations who’ve helped us get where we are today, and have invited a number of the organisations who’ve supported us to say a few words about their hopes for the years ahead. Find out what our supporters are saying

Corporate partners

We’re pleased to have already won the support of three major corporate partners. £1m of funding is being pledged to support our conservation work thanks to players of the People’s Postcode Lottery. Google is working with us to encourage people to discover and enjoy the wildlife along their local waterway by literally putting towpaths on the map – Google Maps. And The Co-operative Bank will offer those who enjoy or live on the waterways the option of supporting our conservation work through everyday banking products.

Defra is also helping us get off to a great start by committing to a landmark, 15-year grant funding agreement as the bedrock to us maintain our waterways. In addition to this, we are funded through commercial income including money from waterside property dowry, boat licences and moorings. Every penny donated by the public to the Trust will be spent directly on conserving, restoring, and enhancing the waterways.

Prince of Wales

We’re proud to have the Prince of Wales as our Patron.

Wyrley & Essington Canal, Brownhills

Some Early Lines Alston Branch & the South Tynedale Railway

Some Early Lines

Alston Branch & the South Tynedale Railway

Alston Branch

This is the setting for LNER J39 0-6-0 No.64858, a Hull Dairycoates engine, whose driver picks his way across the track after bringing in a train from Haltwhistle in March 1954.  In Alston the old ways are gone, but a 2ft gauge venture, the South Tynedale Railway, is extending a passenger lie along the trackbed. – Photo: O.H.Prosser

Alston, 1000 feet up in the Cumbrian Pennines, is England’s highest market town.  It can also be a hostile place when in the grip of winter.  The railway came to Alston as a steeply graded single line branch from Haltwhistle on the NER Newcastle-Carlisle line and it followed the narrowing valley of the South Tyne river.  The LNER considered closure to passengers in 1929 but the roads to Haltwhistle were too poor for replacement buses.  Alston, which is just in Cumbria, had cause to be thankful for the railway when winter snow cut the town off from the outside world.  NE J21s and G5s did good work on the branch.  Modern locos too, like BR Class 3MT 2-6-0 No.77011 which worked passenger turns after transfer to Alston in 1955.  Alston had that appealing branch line feature, the one road engine shed, and its all-over station roof gave some protection against the elements.

Lambley, a picturesque wayside station on the Alston branch, sited where a stone viaduct took the railway over the South Tyne – Photo: Lens of Sutton

The South Tynedale Railway

Kirkhaugh Station

Preparing the Polish-built engine for the return to Alston. © Copyright Andy Stephenson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

 The South Tynedale Railway is a heritage railway in England and is England’s highest narrow gauge railway. The route runs from Alston in Cumbria to Lintley in Northumberland via the South Tyne Viaduct, the Gilderdale Viaduct and the Whitley Viaduct. The railway is operated by a charity, The South Tynedale Railway Preservation Society, which was registered in 1983.

Passenger trains operate on the railway between April (or from Easter weekend if in March) through to October each year and currently (2011) attract 40,000 people to the district every year.  Special trains operate including Santa Special trains on certain days in December each year. Although no Santa trains ran in 2011 as volunteer efforts were put into completing the extension to Lintley in time for the 2012 season, they may run again in 2012. At Alston station there is a cafe and gift shop both operated by the railway company. Free car and coach parking is available adjacent to the station which is located about a quarter mile north of the town on the Hexham road.

The present line is more than three and a quarter miles in length and there are plans to extend the line by a further mile and a quarter miles to Slaggyford. The line is a 2 ft (610 mm) narrow gauge and is built on the southern end of the track bed of the disused standard gauge Haltwhistle to Alston Line. This connected with the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway at Haltwhistle. The standard gauge line was closed on 1 May 1976 and the track bed is mostly intact.

South Tynedale Railway nr Alston

Looking NE from the Pennine Way near Harbut Lodge. One of the filter beds of the Alston sewage works is just visible above the tree in the foreground.  © Copyright Dave Dunford and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

 Plans

Confirmation was received in November 2009 that a grant of £100,000 had been awarded by the Groundwork UK Community Spaces programme which will be used to fund the restoration of three historic railway bridges on the former Haltwhistle to Alston line. Northumberland County Council’s west area committee also granted consent for a completely new station at Lintley and the new extension to Lintley opened to traffic on April 1, 2012.  Rails extend across Lintley viaduct for a distance of about 200 metres from the new station to form a headhunt for works trains. A further one and a quarter mile extension to Slaggyford has all consents necessary and funding is being sought with hopes of opening in 2014 or 2015. The extended line from Kirkhaugh to Lintley Halt was officially opened in Saturday 12th May 2012 by Lord Inglewood, a long-time friend of the railway society. On the same day Cumbria County Council handed over documents confirming a Community Asset Transfer of the Society’s leased land in Cumbria. Work to gain a similar status in Northumberland is ongoing with Northumberland County Council.

THOMAS EDMONDSON

Narrow gauge locomotive at the level crossing at Alston Station on the South Tynedale railway.  © Copyright Peter McDermott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

 2012 Season The timetable shows four return trips from Alston to Lintley – outward at 10.45, 12.15, 14.15 and 15.45. Return trains leave Lintley 45 minutes later.

Passenger rolling stock Trains are made up daily depending on predicted passenger numbers. There are four all-steel open end gallery coaches built by a contractor in Alston, two wooden bodied coaches and two brake vans constructed in the railway workshops. Recent additions (2011) are an all-steel buffet coach originally built by Gloucester Carriage and Wagon for Sierra Leone Railways and re-gauged from 750mm to 610mm for use at Alston and a re-gauged former Romanian steel coach now converted to be fully accessible for disabled passengers.

South Tynedale Railway

The South Tynedale Railway near Wanwoodhill.  © Copyright Peter McDermott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1893 0-8-0 London & North Western Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

 1893 0-8-0 London & North Western Railway

 Ex-LNWR ‘Super D’ 0-8-0 No 8929 runs into the goods yard with a goods train. C1930s – warwickshirerailways.com

The history of the 0-8-0 on the LNWR is a very complicated one, and can only be described very briefly here.  Having built large numbers of 3-cylinder compound passenger engines by 1892, Webb turned his attention to producing a similar freight engine, and No.50 appeared as an 0-8-0 engine in September 1893.  Unlike his passenger engines, all the wheels were coupled.  Between 1893 and 1900 a further 110 were turned out, and in 1901 the design was modified to a 4-cylinder compound engine, and 170 of these appeared during the next four years.  When Whale took charge in 1903 he did not start wholesale scrapping as in the case of the passenger engines, but instead began gradually to convert them to 2-cylinder simple engines.  It is here that the complications began to arise, as the rebuilding took several forms: some engines retained the small boilers, and others were provided with larger ones, whilst a number of the 4-cylinder variety were rebuilt as 2-8-0s, still remaining as compounds for the time being, and again some with large and some with small boilers.  Eventually nearly the whole class were converted to simples, but a few remained compounds to the end, some lasting until 1928 in this form.LNWR 0-8-0 No 2562 is seen at the head of a long up mixed goods train travelling on the fast line near Atherstone. C1919-22 – warwickshirerailways.com

In 1910 further new engines to the rebuilt design began to appear from Crewe, and many more followed at intervals until 1918, those built from 1912 onwards having superheaters.  The final development of the design was a batch of sixty engines built between 1921 and 1922.  In all 572 engines had been constructed, and all but one lasted to be absorbed into LMS stock in 1923.  The missing one was an unconverted 4-cylinder compound, whose boiler exploded at Buxton in 1922.

No.8951 rebuilt as a 2-cylinder simple with Belpaire firebox as running in 1948.

The LMS numbers allocated to the class after 1923 were 8900-9454 for the 0-8-0s, and 9600-15 for the 4-cylinder compounds which had been rebuilt as 2-8-0s.  The survivors of the latter, which had meanwhile been converted to 0-8-0 simples, were later altered to 8892-9.  Shortly after the grouping some of them began to appear with Belpaire fireboxes, and by about 1950 all the survivors had been so treated.  502 engines came into BR stock in 1948, and most of these lasted to have 40000 added to their numbers.  About 160 were still at work at the close of 1959.

“A” class 0-8-0 No. 2528 sometime before 1903 – eastsidepilot.wordpress.com

 3-cylinder compound  Driving wheels – 4’ 5½”,  Cylinders (2) 15”x 24” (1) 30”x 24”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Weight – 49 tons 5 cwt.,  LNWR Classification – A

4-cylinder compound  Driving wheels – 4’ 5½”,  Cylinders (2) 15”x 24” (1) 20½”x 24”,  Pressure – 200 lb.,  Weight – 53 tons 10 cwt.,  LNWR Classification – B

1912 design  Driving wheels – 4’ 5½”,  Cylinders – 20½”x 24”,  Pressure – 160 lb.,  Weight – 60 tons 5 cwt.,  LNWR Classification – G1,  LMS & BR Classification – 6F

Final 1921 design  Driving wheels – 4’ 5½”,  Cylinders – 20½”x 24”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Weight – 60 tons 5 cwt.,  LNWR Classification – G2A,  LMS & BR Classification – 7F

No.8937 running as a 4-cylinder compound in 1927