- Canal News
- Chasewater Diesel Locos
- Chasewater Railway
- Chasewater Railway Museum
- Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces
- Chasewater Steam Locos
- Classic Streamliners
- Foreign Lines
- Industrial Steam Loco Manufacturers
- Miniature Railways
- Miscellaneous Railways
- Model Railways
- Museum Collection
- Narrow Gauge
- Railway Companies
- Railway Miscellany
- Some Early Lines
- Steam Locomotive Classes of a Leisurely Era
- Steam Preservation in the 1990s
- Visitors – Past & Present
December 2019 M T W T F S S « Jan 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Tag Archives: Buses
96 Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces
Gricers’ Day 11th October, 1981
Welcome to our annual end of season ‘Gricers Day’. This year we have organised a small gathering of preserved buses to create added interest.
1981 has been a good year for CLR and the progress achieved can be seen around the compound area and down the line where the new locomotive shed is gradually taking shape.
A Y.O.P. scheme has helped in the restoration of wooden bodied coaching stock, particularly the ex LNWR non-corridor brake coach on which progress is spectacular as regular visitors will appreciate.
Society members have been kept busy on the overhaul of ‘Asbestos’ which is slowly being reassembled and also the dismantling of the Hudswell Clarke side tank S100, as well as keeping the regular working locos in trim, whilst also running the twice monthly steam trains which have shown a good increase on last year’s figures.
As the average number of volunteers is round about ten, restoration is obviously slow, and more numbers are urgently required – especially with a view to running a longer length of line in the not too distant future – enquire at the booking office for further details.
Two further passenger carrying coaches arrived this week and the diesel gricers will recognise them as DB975005/6, formerly E50416 and E56171 the sole surviving DMU set built by D.Wickhams of Ware in 1957, which have latterly served as the Eastern Region General Manager’s Saloon.
Wickham – S.Organ video
Locomotives in service on the railway today are:
1. ‘Alfred Paget’ built by Neilson’s of Glasgow in 1882 and formerly at Gartsherrie Ironworks, Coatbridge; the oldest working locomotive in the Midlands.
2. ‘The Colonel’ built by Pecketts of Bristol in 1914 and latterly at Swan Hunter shipyard, Wallsend.
3. DL7 built by Ruston & Hornsby’s of Lincoln in 1961 and purchased from the NCB Whitwell Colliery, Derbyshire.
Passenger trains ran at frequent intervals of between 15 and 40 minutes, with freight train run pasts between passenger services.
The freight train will be available for photographic purposes on the as yet unopened section of the line which crosses the lake on a causeway, beyond the limit of the passenger train service.
Don’t forget to visit the museum coach and sales stand at Brownhills West.
List of buses in attendance
1. EA4181 Dennis ‘E’ single decker, 32 seats. Formerly no.32 in the West Bromwich fleet. Built 1929, body by A.Dixon Ltd. Ambulance service 1939 – 1945. Illuminated ‘Christmas Lights’ bus 1948 – 1962. A regular visitor to Chasewater. Courtesy R.Coxon and the 32 Group.
JOJ 245 The Transport Museum, Wythall
3. JOJ245 Leyland P52/1, Metro Cammel Weyman 34 seat single deck. Built 1950 for Birmingham City Transport. Owned by Acocks Green Bus Preservation Group and another regular visitor to Chasewater.
FRC 956 Leyland The Transport Museum, Wythall
5. FRC956 Leyland PD2/12, built 1954 and delivered to Trent. Sold by Trent 1967 and since 1972 owned by the 1926 Preservation Group. Restored to original colours 1976, the interior is also completely refurbished.
Please support the sales stands connected with some of the above listed buses as these small sales help in the restoration and continued running of these vehicles.
The owners will doubtless be pleased to answer your questions, but please do not enter the buses without their permission.
Finally we hope you have an enjoyable time and will come again next year when regular services will start again at Easter.
I’ve been familiar with this station since the late 1940s when I used to go to school in Lichfield by steam hauled train. In the early 1960s I started work in Walsall and used the train in the opposite direction, to Walsall, but by that time steam had virtually disappeared and diesel had taken over.
Looking in the other direction, towards Walsall, the second arch of the
bridge can be made out. This did indeed lead to the canal basins and the Wyrley And Essington canal, and sidings on both sides of the main line.This unusual picture shows some of the sidings, looking back towards Brownhills Station in the Lichfield direction. Goods were unloaded by the building on the left-hand side and delivered by Scammell Scarab hauled lorries.The exit from the goods yard was difficult enough in those days – at the junction of Pelsall Road and Chester Road, virtually on the corner. Just as well there was not much traffic about back then!
These maps shows the line to the canal basins, passing the bus garage on the way.
London & North-Western Railway Buses
On 1st October 1912 the London & North-Western Railway introduced a bus service between Brownhills, Norton Canes and Hednesford using two Milnes Daimler double-decker buses purchased second-hand 3 years previously from the Associated Omnibus Co., London.
The following year, on the 16th June, a variant of the above service began running via Chasetown and Chase Terrace and additional buses, double-decker Commers were sent to Brownhills.
Painted in standard coaching colours of chocolate and milk, buses carried the company name or initials on the front, back and sides of the top deck and displayed the company Coat of Arms on the sides of the lower deck.
The majority of the LNWR bus services in various parts of England and Wales were withdrawn on 17th April 1915, both Brownhills services included. The decision to withdraw services being brought about by the continued ‘call-up’ of staff for military service and the probability of buses being commandeered by the War Office.