Tag Archives: Beyer Peacock & Co.

Steam Locomotives of a Leisurely Era – 1932 – 4-4-0 Compounds Great Northern Railway of Ireland

Steam Locomotives of a Leisurely Era

1932 – 4-4-0 Compounds

Great Northern Railway of Ireland

No.86 'Peregine' in 1937 after receiving the then new blue livery

No.86 ‘Peregine’ in 1937 after receiving the then new blue livery

For working the fast expresses over the GNR main line between Dublin and Belfast, the timings of which it was desired to accelerate, G.T.Glover built five 3-cylinder compound 4-4-0s in 1932. This was made possible by reconstructing the Boyne viaduct so as to permit a heavier axle loading which in the new engines amounted to 22 tons. They were built with round-topped boilers with the unusually high working pressure of 250 lb. per square inch, but these were latterly replaced with Belpaire type boilers with reduced pressure. In some ways they followed the design of the well-known Midland compounds. It was the last new compound design to appear in the British Isles. For many years these engines formed the mainstay in working the somewhat difficult schedules of the tightly timed expresses, but were superseded in 1948 by five new somewhat similar engines employing simple propulsion instead of compound, and more recently, by diesel railcars.
They were numbered 83-7, and were named ‘Eagle’, ‘Falcon’, ‘Merlin’, ‘Peregrine’ and ‘Kestrel’, and like so many engines for this railway, came from the works of Beyer Peacock & Co.

Driving wheels – 6’ 7” , Cylinders – 1 HP inside: 17¼”x 26”, 2 HP outside: 19”x 26”, Pressure – 250 lb., (later reduced to 215 lb.), – Tractive effort – 23760 lb., (later reduced to 20435 lb., Classification – W

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era – 1925 – ‘Garratt’ London & North Eastern Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era
1925 – ‘Garratt’
London & North Eastern Railway

The engine as running in 1947

The engine as running in 1947

The largest and most powerful locomotive ever to run in the British Isles. The Garratt double engine design, patented by Beyer Peacock & Co., achieved considerable success on many foreign and colonial railways, particularly in South Africa, even on fast passenger work, but its only application in this country has been in this solitary locomotive on the LNER, a series of engines on the LMS and a few smaller examples of the 0-4-4-0 type for industrial use.
No.2395 was constructed for banking on the Worsboro’ mineral line near Wath, and when this was electrified it was transferred for a time to the Lickey Incline of the Midland Railway. For some reason, however, it did not achieve great success here, and it was finally scrapped in 1955 after being for a short period converted to work as an oil burner. In 1946 it had been renumbered 9999 and at Nationalisation it became BR No.69999.
Driving wheels – 4’ 8”, Cylinders (6) – 18½”x 26”, Pressure – 180 lb., Tractive effort – 72940 lb., Weight – 178 tons

1925 'Garratt' LNER

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era 1873 – 2-4-0T – Isle of Man Railway

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era

 1873 – 2-4-0T – Isle of Man Railway

No.1 Sutherland

Licensed under the GFDL by the author; Released under the GNU Free Documentation License.

The standard type of locomotive in use on the 3’ 0” gauge Isle of Man Railway since its opening in 1873.  Three engines were built in that year, Nos. 1 Sutherland, 2 Derby and 3 Pender, followed by Nos. 4 Loch and 5 Mona in 1874.  Others came at subsequent intervals and by 1910 there were thirteen of them.  All came from Beyer Peacock & Co.  Two engines from the absorbed Manx Northern Railway were taken into stock, No. 14 being similar to the Isle of Man engines, and No.15 an 0-6-0T type.  This was the only engine to be owned by the Company not of the 2-4-0T type.  Finally, in 1926, one further engine was obtained, again from Beyer Peacock.  The dimensions had been increased progressively in the later built engines, and No. 16 Mannin was again considerably larger than the others, although of the same general design.  Some of the earlier ones were subsequently rebuilt, the original lot had much smaller side tanks, which were later enlarged.  The distinctive brass bell-shaped domes carried by Nos. 1-9 have in most cases been replaced by plain ones and the engines fitted with Ross ‘pop’ safety valves.

IoM 2-4-0 T No.3 Pender at Douglas

2-4-0T No.3 Pender heads a line of tank engines at Douglas. Built 1873 by Beyer Peacock, one of the original three supplied for the opening of the Peel line in July 1873.  Involved in an accident at Douglas in 1925 when it ran into the station, having accidentally left the guard and brakeman behind at Union Mills. The fireman was killed and the driver badly bruised.

© Copyright Chris Coleman and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Although all of the engines are still nominally on the Company’s books in 1959, owing to dwindling traffic a number of them have not worked for many years.  The livery was formerly bright green, but has latterly been changed to a pleasing shade of red.  A similar engine was built in 1880 for the Ballymena and Larne Railway in Northern Ireland, subsequently sold to the Castlederg and Victoria Bridge Tramway.

Locomotive No.13 – Kissack – at Colby Station

Another one-off order from 1910 (Beyer, Peacock works number 5382), and named after company director E. T. Kissack, unlucky 13 (latterly referred to as 12a by some of the railway’s staff) was one of the backbones of the railway’s fleet, having seldom been out of service until withdrawn with defective boiler at Christmas 1992.

© Copyright Richard Hoare and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Dimensions:

Nos. 1-9 as originally built and No.14

Driving wheels – 3’ 9”,  Pony wheels – 2’ 0”,  Cylinders – 11”x 18”,  Pressure – 120 lb.,  Tractive effort – 4930 lb.,  Water capacity – 385 gall,  Weight – 18 tons 4 cwt.

Nos. 10-13

Driving wheels – 3’ 9”,  Pony wheels – 2’ 0”,  Cylinders – 11”x 18”,  Pressure – 160 lb.,  Tractive effort – 6580 lb.,  Water capacity – 480 gall,  Weight – 20 tons 10 cwt.

No.16

Driving wheels – 3’ 9”,  Pony wheels – 2’ 0”,  Cylinders – 12”x 18”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 8810 lb.,  Water capacity – 520 gall,  Weight – 23 tons 6 cwt.

No.9 Douglas as running in 1933

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era 1864 2-4-0Ts – Isle of Wight Railway

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era 1864

2-4-0Ts – Isle of Wight Railway

Wroxall as running in 1928

From the opening of the line in 1864 until the amalgamation of 1923, the whole of the heavy summer traffic of the Isle of Wight Railway, which may be regarded as the ‘main line’ of the island, from Ryde to Ventnor, was worked by the seven 2-4-0Ts owned by the old Company.  The first three, Ryde, Sandown and Shanklin, came from the works of Beyer Peacock in 1864, followed by Ventnor in 1868, Wroxall in 1872, Brading in 1876, and finally Bonchurch in 1883.  The last one was a little larger than her sisters, and had Ramsbottom safety valves in place of spring balances on the dome.  The cab was also modified.

As soon as the Southern took control in 1923, they immediately sent two LSWR Adams 0-4-4Ts to assist in working the line, and many others followed later.  Sandown was in poor condition at the time and was sent over to Eastleigh and scrapped; the others, however, became SR Nos. W13-W18 (the Nos. W1-W12 having been allocated to the other two island systems’ engines, the Isle of Wight Central and the Freshwater Yarmouth and Newport).  In IOWR days its engines had never been numbered.

Ventnor was the next to go, in 1925, Brading in 1926, Shanklin in 1927 and Bonchurch in 1928.  Wroxall lasted until 1933, but the original Ryde, then the oldest engine on the Southern Railway, was sent over to Eastleigh in 1932 with a view to preservation.  Unfortunately this did not come about, and after storage in the paint shop for several years it was broken up in 1940.

                             First four engines                            Later three engines

Driving wheels             5’ 0”                                                   5’ 0½”

Pony wheels                 3’ 6”                                                  3’ 6½”

Cylinders                       15”x 20”                                           17”x 24”

Pressure                       120 lb                                               120 lb

Weight                          30½ – 31½ tons                               34 – 35 tons

Varied with individual engines

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era 1864 – 4-4-0Ts – Metropolitan & District Railways

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era

1864 – 4-4-0Ts – Metropolitan & District Railways

Both the metropolitan and the District Railways adopted this type of engine for general use, the District in fact exclusively, and it remained the standard locomotive for working on the Inner Circle and other underground sections of the line until electrification in 1905.  The design of the locomotives must be credited to the builders, Beyer Peacock & Co.  In addition to the 66 supplied to the Metropolitan between 1871 and 1886, the LNWR, Midland and LSWR had 28 between them, and five others went to the Rhenish Railway in Germany.  The Metropolitan and District engines were fitted with condensing apparatus for tunnel working.

District Railway Loco 25 – ltmcollection.org

When the lines were electrified most of the engines were naturally rendered redundant, but the Metropolitan still found use for some of them on its country extensions.  Many, however, were scrapped or sold out of service.  The District retained only two for departmental use, and one of these remained in service until 1932.

A number of the Metropolitan engines were sold, some to collieries, one to the Somerset Mineral Railway, and five to the Cambrian, who later rebuilt them as 4-4-0 tender engines.  In 1934, when the Metropolitan became merged into London Passenger transport Board, they still had Nos. 23, 27, 41 and 49 in service, one of these being in use a week at a time on the Brill branch, which was closed in 1936.  The last to remain was No.23 which became No. L45 in London Transport stock, and since withdrawal in 1948 this has been preserved at Neasden.

Driving wheels – 5’ 9”, Cylinders – 17”x 24,  Pressure – 160 lb,  Tractive effort – 12,600 lb,  Weight – 42 tons 2 cwt.,  Metropolitan classification – A

Pic:  The last surviving District engine at Lillie Bridge in 1926, then still largely in its original condition.