Tag Archives: 0-6-0ST

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era – Hawthorn Leslie, 3837 of 1934

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

Hawthorn Leslie, 3837 of 1934

Bernard Mettam Collection IRSBernard Mettam Collection – IRS Collection http://www.irsociety.co.uk

R. & W. Hawthorn Leslie and Company, Limited, usually referred to as Hawthorn Leslie, was a shipbuilding and locomotive manufacturer.

The Company was formed by the merger of the shipbuilder A.Leslie & Co.in Hebburn with the locomotive works of R & W Hawthorn at St.Peter’s in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1886. The Company disposed of its locomotive manufacturing interests in 1937 to Robert Stephenson & Co. which became Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn Ltd.

After the merger the locomotive side continued manufacturing for main-line, light and industrial railways, including a large number built for export, usually to the designs of the Crown Agents.

John Hill Collection IRSJohn Hill Collection IRS Collection http://www.irsociety.co.uk

R.W Hawthorn Leslie 0-6-0 ST, 3837 of 1934

3’ 8” wheels, 16”x 24” outside cylinders.  New to Stewarts and Lloyds, Corby Steelworks, Northamptonshire, originally No. 10 but later renumbered 16.  Initially entering preservation at the Nene Valley Railway, Cambridgeshire around June 1974 the locomotive has experienced a somewhat nomadic existence since.

A move to the Battlefield Line, Shackerstone, Leicestershire took place on March 7th 1981 (where No.16 joined sister loco Hawthorn Leslie 3931 of 1938, another ex Corby loco, their No. 21).  No.21 had been at Shackerstone since October 1973 but both locos moved on to the Swanage Railway, Dorset on 17th December 1982.

Information ends there regarding HL 3837 but her sister loco HL 3931 is currently based on the Ribble Railway, Preston. (My thanks to Barry Bull for this information).Leatherhead 1985Leatherhead 1985

From the Hawthorn Leslie 3837 Preservation Society website

The Hawthorn Leslie 3837 Preservation Society purchased 3837 from Mole Valley District Council where she had been standing for over 25 years behind Leatherhead Leisure Centre.

The loco is now based at Isfield, East Sussex at the headquarters of The Lavender Line for restoration.

After a working life of 35 years at Corby Steelworks, Northamptonshire and many years languishing behind Leatherhead Leisure Centre, 3837 now requires your help!Leatherhead 2010Leatherhead 2010

We are always on the look out for volunteers and people who would like to get involved in the restoration project and become members of our society, so if you are interested please contact us

– See more at: http://hawthornleslie.typepad.com/#sthash.YLo6oCeY.dpuf

http://www.hl3837.orgFinal Touches to PaintworkFinal touches to the paintwork

Advertisements

Hunslet 0-6-0ST 3783/1953 – Darfield No.1

Darfield No.1

Built by Hunslet Engine Co., Leeds in 1953, their works number 3783, the loco is a late example of the manufacturers 16 inch inside cylindered, six-coupled saddle tank with the tank not extending over the smokebox.  The design pre-dates the rather better known Austerity type from Hunslet.

Darfield No.1, together with a sister, No.2 was supplied new to Darfield Colliery, Wombwell, South Yorkshire.  The colliery situated half a mile north west of Wombwell Station on the BR (ex LNER) line.

For the period July 1955 to 1959 No.1 was transferred away to Houghton Main Colliery, Little Houghton.  On return to Darfield No.1 worked until sold into preservation in late 1974, initially to a private site in Delph, Lancashire before seeing use on the Yorkshire Dales Railway at Embsay.  A move to the Llangollen Railway followed and No.1 sees occasional use there as well as being hired out to other preserved railways, most recently a return to a former home at Embsay.  Arrival on hire to Chasewater took place 29-7-2011.

Locally there were three similar locos based at Holly Bank Colliery, Essington before transfer to Littleton, with one of the three later moving on to Granville Colliery near Oakengates, Shropshire.

Darfield No.1 weighs 38 tons in working order.In the engine shed at Chasewater Railway

Hudswell Clarke & Co. 0-6-0 Saddle Tank No. 431 of 1895

As this Hudswell Clarke loco is back in the museum half of the heritage centre here is a little more information.

Hudswell Clarke & Co.

0-6-0 Saddle Tank No. 431 of 1895

August 1969

The oldest six-coupled loco from this Leeds builder in existence.

Delivered new to Sheepbridge Iron Works near Chesterfield as their No.15.  The loco worked at Sheepbridge and also at the Company owned collieries at Glapwith and Langwith prior to a move to Desborough Quarry, Northamptonshire in March 1951.

The loco’s regular working life at the iron ore quarry ceased in 1966 with the closure of the quarry.Steam coming frm everywhere – Pic. Bob Duffill

The loco came to Chasewater in 1967 after purchase for £195.

Cosmetic restoration only is likely in the near future as the loco is in an advanced state of corrosion.