Tag Archives: 0-6-0

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era – 1911 – Class 4 0-6-0 Midland Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1911 – Class 4  0-6-0

Midland Railway

No. 4403 in 1928 as newly builtNo. 4403 in 1928 as newly built

Sir Henry Fowler’s standard superheated freight design for the MR.  Two engines, Nos. 3835 and 3836, were built in 1911, but construction on a large scale did not commence until 1917.  Between that year and 1922 there appeared Nos. 3837-4026.  In 1924 it was adopted as a standard type by the LMSR, and by 1928 Nos. 4027-4556 had been constructed.  In 1922 five engines had also been built for the Somerset & Dorset Railway, their numbers 57-61.  On the absorption of that line’s engines into LMS stock in 1930 they became Nos. 4557-61, the similarity of the last two figures being entirely coincidental.  After a period of nine years construction was again resumed, Crewe turning out Nos. 4562-76 in 1937, whilst a final batch, Nos. 4577-4606 came out from Derby in 1939-40.

1The ultimate total of 772 engines for one class has rarely been exceeded in this country.

All became BR Nos. 43835-44606, and none was withdrawn until 1954.  Since then a number have been taken out of traffic, but the great majority were still running in 1959.  Although primarily intended for freight work they have been used on all kinds of duties, and were often to be seen on passenger trains.  Apart from differences of tender design and such details as pattern of chimney they have remained unchanged.

Driving wheels – 5’ 3”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”,  Pressure – 175 lb.,  Tractive effort – 24555 lb.,  Weight – 48 tons 15cwt.,  MR & LMS classification – 4,  BR classification – 4F.

2

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era 1860 – Great Western Railway – 0-6-0T

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era

1860 – Great Western Railway – 0-6-0T

Photo – No. 1581, one of the double framed 4’ 7½” variety, running as a saddle tank about 1920.

For very many years the GWR was a great user of tank engines of the 0-6-0 wheel arrangement, and from the close of the nineteenth century up to quite recent times (written in the late 1950s) when they began to be displaced by diesels, has maintained a stock of about a thousand of this useful type at any one time.  In all, nearly 2400 were constructed between the years 1860 and 1956.  These cover a wide range of individual classes and varieties – too many to go into here!  For purposes of a brief description, they may be very broadly divided into two groups, the ancient – constructed between 1860 and 1905 – and the modern, built from 1929 onwards.

The genesis of the earlier machines commenced with two engines, Nos. 93 and 94, built by Gooch at Swindon in 1860, as small 0-6-0 side tanks.  In 1876 and 1877 they were rebuilt at Wolverhampton with the well-known round saddle tanks, and in this form conformed to the general pattern of the later engines.  Between 1864 and 1905 very large numbers were turned out from both Swindon and Wolverhampton works, mostly built new as saddle tanks, but some were conversions from side tanks, and a few even from 0-6-0 tender engines.  One batch of twelve, nos. 633 0 644, remained as side tanks throughout their existence.  Many different classes were involved; some had inside frames and some double (sandwich) variety, a few of these being originally constructed to the 7’ 0” broad gauge when the wheels were outside both sets of frames.  The driving wheels on different classes varied between 4’ 1½” and 5’ 0”.

From 1904 onwards the round-topped saddle tanks mounted over the boiler began gradually to be replaced by a pair of square-shaped tanks – known appropriately as ‘panniers’ – also mounted either side of the boiler, but each separate in itself.  Gradually a large proportion of the class were so treated, but quite a number were withdrawn without acquiring panniers, and one engine, No. 1925, still retained its saddle tank when scrapped in 1951.  The great majority always ran with domed boilers, a few carried the domeless pattern typical of the larger GWR engines for a period.  Several series of numbers were occupied by these very numerous engines, impractible to list in full detail, but the later batches eventually occupied complete series as 1216-97,  1501 – 2160, and 2700 – 2799.

Most of the engines survived the First World War, and the original Nos. 93 and 94 lasted until 1931-2.  Scrapping on a large scale did not really commence until 1929, when the modernised ‘5700’ class began to be turned out in the large quantities of their predecessors of many years before.  Even so, over 200 were still at work on Nationalisation in 1948, and the last of these members of the ‘old brigade’, No. 2069, was not taken out of service until 1959.  The following are the representative dimensions of two of the classes as running in later years.

1501 class – Driving wheels – 4’ 7½”,  Cylinders – 17”x 24”,  Pressure – 165 lb.,  Tractive Effort – 17525 lb.,  Weight – 42 tons 17 cwt.

2021 class – Driving wheels 4’x1½”,  Cylinders – 16½”x 24”,  Pressure – 165 lb.,  Tractive effort – 18515 lb.,  Weight 39 tons 15 cwt.2100 Class 0-6-0PT at Swindon (BR(WR))

Steam Locos of a more Leisurely Era – Midland Railway Locomotives 1863 Kirtley 0-6-0

Midland Railway Locomotives

1863 Kirtley 0-6-0

No.2618 as running in 1928

Matthew Kirtley’s earlier double-framed goods dated from the 1850s and the early 1860s and were, like his other engines, very long lived, many of them surviving well into the 20th century.  His later standard type dates from 1863, between which year and 1874 several hundreds were built.  In more recent years, when both classes has been successively renewed and rebuilt, they could be distinguished from the earlier engines in having the running plate raised in a graceful curve over each outside coupling rod crank, whereas the original lot, except for a few built by Beyer Peacock in 1858, had straight frames.  As a matter of interest, in 1906 a number were sold to the Italian State Railways, for which they put in many more years of service.

By 1934, after heavy scrapping in the late 1920s and early 1930s, only about twenty remained, and these had 20,000 added to their numbers to make way for  the construction of new engines.  During the First World War Nos. 2707 – 2788 were loaned to the Government and most of them served overseas.  No.2717 was captured by the Germans, and remained in their hands until the termination of hostilities, when all were repatriated and saw further service on the Midland.

Four engines survived to be taken into BR stock in 1948, and No. 22630 was actually renumbered 58110and lasted until 1951.  The other three, Nos. 22846, 22853 and 22863 were allocated numbers 58111 – 13, but were scrapped in 1949 and 1950 without carrying them.

Of the earlier straight-framed class the last to remain in service, No. 2393, was withdrawn in 1927.  One of them, No. 2320, withdrawn in 1926, was repainted for preservation in MR colours with its old number 421, but unfortunately it was decided in 1932 that room could not be found for it, and it was most regrettably broken up.  It had been built by Kitson & Co. in 1856 and would have been a valuable addition to the present collection of preserved historic locomotives.

Dimensions of the later engines, as originally built:  Driving Wheels – 5’ 2½”,  Cylinders – 17” x 24”,  Pressure – 140lbs.,  Weight – 36 tons.

Some Early Lines – Cleobury Mortimer and Ditton Priors Light Railway

Some Early Lines

Cleobury Mortimer and Ditton Priors Light Railway

The Cleobury Mortimer and Ditton Priors Light Railway was a pre-grouping railway company that served part of south Shropshire

Everard Calthrop was appointed Consulting Engineer in 1900, responsible for surveying the route and preparing the construction plans, and the line opened in 1908. The line had a junction with the Wyre Forest line of the Great Western Railway (GWR) at Cleobury Mortimer and was absorbed into the GWR in 1922.

After 30 years of passenger services, the line closed just before the start of World War ll.  The line was then used by the Royal Navy which had a Royal Navy Armaments Depot (RNAD) at the end of line outside Ditton Priors. The railway finally closed in 1960.

Route

Cleobury Mortimer – Cleobury Town – Stottesdon – Burwarton – Ditton Priors. An extension was proposed, running east from Stottesdon to Billingsley. Three possible extensions were proposed from Ditton Priors: east to Bridgnorth; north east to Coalport; north to Presthope (near Much Wenlock). None of the extensions was actually built.

The railway’s course runs parallel with the Severn Valley Railway, which lies to the east of it. The junction was Cleobury Mortimer which lay on the GWR’s Tenbury Wells-Bewdley line. Ditton Priors, appeared on the railway map at a rather late stage, the line was not opened until 1908. Originally the line was worked by two Manning, Wardle 0-6-0STs. The line was absorbed into the GWR at the Grouping in 1922. The main freight traffic was stone from the quarries in this part of the Clee Hills. Passenger traffic ceased in 1938, and goods in 1939. However, the railway was not yet set to disappear into oblivion. At the outbreak of World War II a Royal Naval Armament Depot was opened at Ditton Priors, ensuring the line’s survival into the 1960s. At this stage the pannier tank steam locomotives were fitted with their distinctive ‘balloon stack’ spark arresters. The RNAD also had diesel locomotives of its own.An MOD Ruston & Hornsby diesel shunter passes through Cleobury Town Station on 26 March, 1965, less than two months before the old CM & DPLR closed completely.  Andrew Muckley.

Locomotives

The line had two locomotives, both 0-6-0 saddle-tanks built by Manning Wardle and these became GWR numbers 28 and 29. They were rebuilt by the GWR with new boilers and pannier tanks, after which they bore a strong resemblance to the GWR 1366 Class. Other locomotives used on the line included GWR 2021 Class nos. 2101 and 2144 and GWR 1600 Class no.1661.The CM & DPLR’s two locos were identical Manning Wardle 0-6-0STs, Cleobury and Burwarton.  They were absorbed by the GWR at the Grouping, renumbered 28/29 and fitted with pannier tanks.  Bucknall Collection/Ian Allan Library

After its ‘Swindonisation’, ex CM & DPLR loco Cleobury was hardly recognisable.  As GWR No.28 it hauls a typical mixed train on the Ditton Priors branch.  Lens of Sutton.

Former GWR 0-6-0PT No.2144 at the head of an ammunition train fro Ditton Priors, attacks the 1 in 66 gradient through Burwarton Station on 23 February, 1954.  The spark arrester was an essential safeguard for such workings.  Geoffrey F. Bannister.

Following the opening of the RNAD at Ditton Priors, the steam locomotives were fitted with spark arrestors but, after the arrival of RNAD diesel locomotives, they did not enter the armaments depot. The steam locomotive was taken off the goods train at Cleobury North (just south of Ditton Priors) and the wagons were drawn into the depot by an RNAD diesel locomotive.

Three “flameproof” diesel locomotives of 165 bhp were supplied to RNAD Ditton Priors by Ruston and Hornsby between 1952 and 1955. A similar machine Francis Baily of Thatcham (ex-RAF Welford ) is preserved at Southall Railway Centre. Before the Rustons, a Planet diesel locomotive is believed to have been used but its dates of arrival and departure are not known.