Tag Archives: 0-4-2ST

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era 1858 – North London Railway – 0-4-2ST

Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era

1858 – North London Railway – 0-4-2ST

Photo – The engine as running in the 1930s

This engine started life in 1858 in the form of a small 0-4-0ST, constructed by Sharp Stewart & Co. for the North and South Western Junction Railway for working the Hammersmith to Acton branch.  It was taken over shortly afterwards by the NLR becoming at first No.27, and later 29 and 29A in the Company’s lists.  In 1872 it was converted at Bow Works into an 0-4-2ST and the crane fitted, and in this form it remained practically unaltered for nearly eighty years, spending its life as works shunter at Bow.

Subsequently it became LNWR 2896, LMS 7217 and later 27217, and finally BR 58865.  It was the oldest engine inherited by British Railways on its formation in 1948.  It was hoped that it might live to attain its centenary, a feat never then realised by a working engine in this country without drastic rebuilding, although it has happened abroad, at least one engine in Spain today being over a hundred years old, and this incidentally by a British-built locomotive.  The old NL engine was withdrawn from service in 1951 and sent to Derby where it remained for several months before being broken up.

Driving wheels – 3’ 10”,  Cylinders – 13”x 17”, Pressure – 120lb,  Tractive effort –  6370lb, Weight – 32 tons 6cwt.

 

Steam Locomotives of a more Leisurely Era 0-4-2STs of the Cannock Chase & Wolverhampton Railway

Steam Locomotives of a more Leisurely Era

 0-4-2STs of the Cannock Chase & Wolverhampton Railway

Five engines built by Beyer Peacock between 1856 and 1872 for shunting at the Cannock Chase Collieries, Staffordshire.  They had remarkably long lives during which they remained practically unchanged.A view of three of the engines – McClean in the foreground, with Chawner and Anglesey in the background.  Whether the hot water being drawn off McClean is for washing purposes or for brewing tea cannot now be stated with any certainty!

The first engine, McClean, was the 28th locomotive built by the newly formed firm of Beyer Peacock & Co., who have since constructed several thousand engines for use in this country and all parts of the world.  Alfred Paget followed in 1861, Chawner in 1864, Brown in 1867 and Anglesey in 1872.  Finally, after a lapse of no less than 74 years, when another locomotive was required, the ninety-year-old design was considered so satisfactory that a completely new engine almost identical with the originals was constructed in the Company’s own workshops at Chasetown in 1946, some parts being supplied by Beyer Peacock & Co.McClean

Brown was scrapped in 1926, but the others lasted until 1947 and the early 1950s, and the original McClean, which it had been hoped would be preserved, was not actually cut up until 1956, just a hundred years after having first seen the light of day.  It did not actually attain its centenary as a working locomotive, as it had been out of use for a few years previously, but it was the engine in this country which, up to then, most nearly achieved this distinction.Self-built Foggo

The 1946 locomotive, which received the name Foggo was still at work in the area until 1959.

Driving Wheels – 4’ 0”,  Cylinders – 14” x 20”A once-common wooden coal wagon from Cannock Chase.