L & SWR (SR) Beattie Well Tank 2-4-0 : WT No.30587
Chasewater Railway was proud to feature this locomotive at our Spring Gala, 2004.
Built between 1872 1nd 1876, this loco was one of a class of 85 produced to a design by James Hamilton Beattie, the mechanical engineer of the London and South Western Railway from 1st July 1850, who was succeeded in the same position from 23rd November 1871 by his son William George Beattie.
Based on the three locomotives of the ‘Nile’ class built in 1859, but with many improvements, they were designed in consultation with Charles Beyer, of Beyer Peacock Co. and manufactured at their works at Gorton, Manchester – becoming known as Standard Well Tank engines.
The National Railway Museum selected 30587 for preservation after being finally withdrawn from service in December 1962, after 88 years of service. The engine was ultimately transferred, on loan, to the Dart Valley Railway at Buckfastleigh numbered 3298 on 22nd April 1978 and remained there as a static exhibit until 2nd December 2001 when it was taken to the Flour Mill Workshops in the Forest of Dean for restoration to full working order, before returning’home’ to Bodmin numbered 30587 on 12th November 2002.
Posted in Visitors - Past & Present
Tagged Beattie Well Tank, Brownhills, Burntwood, Cannock, Chasetown, Chasewater, Hednesford, Lichfield, Norton Canes, Railway, Steam
Information – Great Central Railway
Although locomotives of this type are generally known by their LNER classification, J94, the design originated with the Hunslet Engine Company of Leeds in 1937. The J94 locomotives gained their claim to fame when, in 1942, they were chosen as the basis for a standard shunting locomotive for war service.
68009 was built in 1953 as Hunslet works No. 3825 for the National Coal Board and sent to the Kent coalfield. Although the locomotive ran for many years on the Great Central Railway in early British Railways livery, it was never a BR locomotive and therefore the number it carries belongs to a locomotive long since scrapped. However, it was discovered that the boiler was first fitted to the real 68009 and so it was felt appropriate to finish the loco in this livery. 68009 operated at the Snowdown Colliery near Deal in Kent.
Port Talbot 0-6-0ST No. 26 (GWR 813)
A welcome visiting loco to Chasewater
Last here a couple of years ago – a photo can now be seen on our 2009 leaflet – shame they couldn’t have used a pic of one of our own engines for the 50th Anniversary and Asbestos’ 100th year.
This locomotive is a six-coupled 0-6-0ST Saddle Tank No.813 under the Great Western Railway numbering system but was built for the Port Talbot Railway & Docks in 1901. The Port Talbot Railway & Docks Company was formed in 1894 to work the docks of the town. The Railway opened several branches especially those to the Llynfi & Garw valleys. This attracted a heavy coal traffic, which was dealt with at Duffryn Yard.
In 1901 the PTR ordered a number of small 0-6-0 saddle tank locomotives (six in all) from Hudswell Clark of Leeds & was given the works No. 555/01 & on delivery it became PTR No.26. In this guise it was put to work in Duffryn Yard & served in this capacity until 1908 when the PTR was absorbed into the GWR system. However, no changes were made to the loco at this time until the grouping which brought changes to No.26 in that it was first Westernised & given the GWR number 813.
The GWR decided later however that the older absorbed locos should be sold off out of service & No.813 fund itself on that list in 1934. It was sold to a Backworth Colliery, Northumberland where it was again renumbered as No.12 & remained there for the next 33 years. The No.12 did not stay for long though, as when the colliery was absorbed in to the National Coal Board when it was formed in 1947 it became NCB No.11
In 1950 it was fitted with a new boiler & firebox. However the original GWR boiler fittings were retained. As steam working was nearly at an end hastened by the closing of collieries, older locos were withdrawn in the late 1950’s & early 60’s with 813 lasting until the summer of 1967.
The loco was duly discovered by Mr. Paddy Goss & attempts to preserve it were ultimately successful for he was able, after a great struggle to raise funds as is ever the case in the preservation scene, to purchase the loco. The loco arrived at the Severn Valley Railway in November 1967 with sufficient finance available to pay for the removal charges. Since then much loving care & a great deal of money has been spent keeping 813 in its present condition.