Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Bangor & Caernarfon Railway
Incorporated on 20 May 1851 to build between the two towns, the junction with the Chester & Holyhead Railway, which was authorised to work the line, was actually a Menai Bridge. It was an 8.5 single line, with a one-mile branch to Port Dinorwic (Y Felinheli), which opened on 1 March 1852 for goods. The line opened throughout for passengers on 1 July and for goods on 10 August. Agreement to lease the line to the Chester & Holyhead Railway for 999 years was made with effect from 1 July 1852, but the Company was instead transferred by an Act on 10 July 1854; dissolution was delayed until 15 July 1867. The line was doubled in 1872, re-singled in 1966, and closed to goods on 4 August 1969, though there was a respite when Caernarfon became a temporary freight terminal during the rebuilding of the Britannia Bridge in 1970-72.
The old Britannia Bridge on a postcard from the private collection of Jochem Hollestelle
Location: Britannia Bridge taken from the Nelson memorial on the Menai Strait, Anglesey – 2005
Britannia Bridge is a bridge across the Menai Strait between the island of Anglesey and the mainland of Wales. It was originally designed and built by Robert Stephenson as a tubular bridge of wrought iron rectangular box-section spans for carrying rail traffic. Following a fire in 1970 it was rebuilt as a two-tier steel truss arch bridge, carrying both road and rail traffic.
A view looking west from the island platform at Menai Bridge in August 1964. The goods train is standing at the up Afon Wen line platform which was used by passenger services travelling towards Bangor. To the left can be seen the down Afon Wen line platform. The platform that can be seen to the right served trains travelling towards Holyhead.
Photo by Bevan Price
JOHN POWELL COLLECTION
http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk640 × 452Search by image
Caernarfon Station, 10th August 1962. Engine No 42487 arrives with a train for Afonwen.
Caernarvon railway station was a station on the former Bangor and Carnarvon Railway between Caernarfon, Gwynedd and Menai Suspension Bridge near Bangor. The station was closed to all traffic in January 1972. The station has since been demolished and the site redeveloped.
Posted in Railway Companies, Some Early Lines
Tagged Bangor & Caernarfon Railway, Britannia Bridge, Chester & Holyhead Railway, Menai Bridge, Old Railway Companies, Old Railway Lines, Some Early Lines, Steam Locomotives, Steam Trains, Wales
Stafford Gatehouse Theatre
Tickets selling fast!
Posted in Christmas
Tagged Brownhills, Burntwood, Cannock, Chasetown, Gatehouse Theatre, Great Wyrley, Heath Hayes, Hednesford, Lichfield, Norton Canes, Panto, Pelsall, Rock 'n' Roll Panto, Stafford, Staffordshire, Walsall, Walsall Wood, Wolverhampton
Lichfield News – Christmas Festival
Posted in Steam Preservation in the 1990s
Tagged Hunslet J94, Leek & Manifold Valley Light Railway, Longsight 150, Nene Valley Railway, Old Railway Lines, Princess Elizabeth, Railroads, Sentinel, Steam Locomotives, Taw Valley, West Somerset Railway
Foreign Lines – North Queensland
In 1999 1079 is at Barron Falls Station during its climb up the range to Kuranda in tropical North Queensland.This was the first time a mainline loco worked the line as the track was in the process of being upgraded.
The Barron Falls (Aboriginal: Bibhoora) is a steep tiered cascade waterfall on the Barron River located where the river descends from the Atherton Tablelands to the Cairns coastal plain, in Queensland, Australia.
Barron Falls near Kuranda, Australia
Date 27 January 2005 Source Wikipedia
Author Ashlsimm Permission (Reusing this file)
The copyright holder of this file, Ash Simmons, allows anyone to use it for any purpose, provided that the copyright holder is properly attributed. Redistribution, derivative work, commercial use, and all other use is permitted.
Queensland Railways steam at Barron Falls
More engine photos from this heritage railway.
Östra Södermanlands Järnväg
This 600 mm narrow gauge railway in Mariefred, Sweden, has a large collection of narrow gauge vehicles. Here is shown two of its almost a dozen steam engines.
More at: http://www.oslj.nu
Nynäshamn Railway Museum
One of the dilemmas of the preservation of the railway heritage is the wish to save vehicles and installations for the future versus the cost (in dollars and manpower) to prevent it from gradually disappearing.
Luckily, groups of enthusiasts have joined and continue join to create associations with purpose to collect, preserve and show this heritage to the public, often in live operation. These voluntaries then not only contribute to the preservation of the heritage but also contribute to the tourism in the area (not always being thanked for it!). But all this means a lot of work …
This panorama photo from 2013 shows a typical situation for an association: Many vehicles being worked on; many more collected in various states of degradation, waiting for their turn …
We must not forget, that it’s only thanks to these enthusiasts that we now and in the future have an opportunity to enjoy and take photos of our railway heritage!
Learn more about Brownhills, Walsall, Staffs on Friday, November 28th
Posted in Brownhills
Tagged Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Brownhills Methodist Church, Burntwood, Chasetown, Cheslyn Hay, Gerald Reece, Great Wyrley, Heath Hayes, Hednesford, Local History, Norton Canes, Pelsall, Walsall, Walsall Wood, Wolverhampton