Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Incorporated on 20 May 1825, this 21¾ mile plateway built by George Overton to a gauge of 4ft 2in ran from the Rhymney Ironworks to the Monmouthshire Railway at what later became Bassaleg Junction. Like the Sirhowy and the Monmouthshire Railways it delayed the change to proper railwayhood too long; re-incorporated on August 1st 1861, with working agreement with the West Midland Railway, it began conversion in 1863. It was, however, too great a task for the company’s finances, and it sold out on 28 July 1863 to the Brecon & Merthyr Tydfil Junction Railway, which used it to continue its own drive towards Newport. This section was taken over by the GWR with effect from 1 July 1922 and closed to passengers on 31 December 1962.
Relic of the Rumney Railway, Bedwas
The girder in the bridge carrying Rectory Road over the trackbed of a dismantled railway line to Bedwas Navigation Colliery has Rumney Railway 1855 stamped on its side. The Rumney Railway was originally an industrial tramway, built from 1826. It was later converted to a standard gauge railway.
© Copyright Jaggery and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Site of Aberbargoed Station
View westward across Rhymney Valley. Station was in foreground, on ex-Great Western (Rhymney Rly.) ‘Old Rumney’ line, (Newport) – Bassaleg Junction – Risca – New Tredegar – Rhymney. The station was closed completely along with the line on 31/12/62 (in 1930 beyond New Tredegar).
© Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.