Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Gloucester & Dean Forest Railway
GWR supported, the Company was authorised on 27th July, 1846 to build about 8 miles of railway from Gloucester to Grange Court Junction, with a 7.5 mile extension to Awre (SWR). The Gloucester – Grange Court section was opened on 19th September, 1851 and leased in perpetuity to the GWR from the opening day. When money ran out, the SWR built the Awre extension, and the GWR a branch to Llanthony, Gloucester, opened on 20th March, 1854. The line remained broad gauge until 1869, and the Company was absorbed by the GWR under an Act of 30th June, 1874.
This line is open. It runs from Grange Court to Gloucester. It connected together the Cheltenham and Great Western Railway and the South Wales Railway.