Some Early Lines
Old Railway Companies
Slightly unusual in that the line was authorised (27-6-1834), and the company named afterwards, this was a standard gauge line between Hayle and Tresaveen (Gwennap) – 12 miles, with 5 miles of branches. The Portreath branch opened first, for goods on December 23rd, 1837 (passengers in 1841). With Carn Brea Mines –Redruth (goods) on 11th June, 1838, Redruth – Hayle (passenger) 23rd May, 1843. The Portreath arm did such business with ore and coal that it needed enlarging in 1846. The passenger service on the main line was operated by William Crotch, but he soon passed the responsibility to the Railway. Part of the main line became incorporated into the Paddington – Penzance line, via the W. Cornwall Railway, which absorbed the company on 3rd December, 1846. Regular traffic to Portreath ceased about 1930, and the line closed officially from 1st April, 1938.