Old Railway Stations
Nottingham Victoria railway station was a Great Central Railway and Great Northern Railway railway station in Nottingham, England. It was designed by the architect Albert Edward Lambert, who also designed the rebuild of the Nottingham Midland station (now known more simply as Nottingham Station).
It was opened by the Nottingham Joint Station Committee on 24 May 1900 and closed on 4 September 1967 by the London Midland Region of British Railways. The station building was entirely demolished (except for the clock tower) and the Victoria Centre shopping centre was built on the site, incorporating the old station clock tower into the main entrance on Milton Street (continuation of Mansfield Road).
Nottingham Victoria on a summer Saturday in August with B1 class 4-6-0 No.61192 taking water on the 6.45am Leicester central to Manchester Victoria train. This vast station site is now occupied by a large shopping centre. The clock tower, which is now overshadowed by skyscraper flats, has been incorporated into the shopping precinct and survives as a monument of a more spacious age.
Nottingham Victoria with a class 9F 2-10-0 rumbling through on an empty coal train from the south. Known to railway staff as ‘Annersley Runners’, these long coal trains were a feature of Great Central main line running. Passengers are waiting for the through trains to Scarborough or Cleethorpes which used to run summer Saturdays only over the closed Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast line.
Nottingham Victoria and the arrival of the 7.20am Leicester Central to Cleethorpes train behind K3 class No.61896. This train ran on three days of the year only and traversed the closed Lancashire, Derbyshire and East Coast Railway from Mansfield Central to Lincoln, calling at Edwinstowe and Ollerton, two stations which were open to the public for two months of the year only. Note the wheeltappers wondering whether to tap or not.