Some Early Lines
Stratford-upon-Avon to Cheltenham Railway
Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway
This is the overgrown track of the Cheltenham to Stratford-upon-Avon railway line. It is pictured here where a footpath between Weston-sub-Edge and Honeybourne crosses it, at this point the old line is the boundary between the counties of Worcestershire (left) and Gloucestershire. The line was built between 1900-1906 and closed in 1976, further south part of the line has been re-opened by the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway (GWR). Currently GWR has re-opened the line between Cheltenham Racecourse and Toddington, they are pushing north to Broadway and eventually hope to re-open the line on its entire length from Cheltenham Spa to Stratford-upon-Avon. © Copyright Philip Halling and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The first officially named The Cornishman. This is the up (northbound) working, seen departing from Stratford upon Avon on 30th June 1952 behind Castle class 4-6-0 no. 4092 Dunraven Castle, which was built in 1925. The train is without the headboard which was not finished at the time although the coaches did carry The Cornishman roof boards. Brian England
The former Stratford-upon-Avon to Cheltenham railway line. Looking South at the point where this line passed under the Oxford to Worcester line. © Copyright David Luther Thomas and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Toddington Station was opened in 1904. The station was principally seen as a receiving station for goods and a stopping point for goods trains on their way to Wales and the West Country. Passengers were a secondary consideration but, nevertheless, early ticket sales were encouraging. Over the next fifty years, however, there was a steady decline in passenger numbers. The station finally closed to passengers in 1960, along with others on the route. The platforms were removed shortly afterwards, though the stations building itself remained intact. The yard was closed to goods in 1967.
When the line was taken over by the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway, Toddington Station was established as its headquarters. Since then it has undergone a period of transformation. The platforms were reinstated as were many of the features of the station including the footbridge and water tower.
Fully operational, built in 1905 with boiler ticket expiry due in 2020. Historically significant as the oldest locomotive to have ever been rescued from Barry Scrapyard.