Some Early Lines
West Riding and Grimsby Railway
Bridge plate from the West Riding & Grimsby Railway, now in Chasewater Railway Museum.
The West Riding and Grimsby Railway was a joint railway whose main line linked Wakefield with Doncaster, while a branch line ran between Adwick and Stainforth. The companies involved were the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway and the Great Northern Railway. The WR&G gave the Great Northern Railway a new direct line to Wakefield from Doncaster on its north-south main line, and onwards to the Woollen District towns and the cities of Leeds, Bradford and Halifax over the tracks of the former West Yorkshire Railway, which it acquired in 1865; while the M.S.& L.R. could offer connections to Grimsby, and its docks, and the seaside resort of Cleethorpes.
The line was inherited by the LNER in 1923, and today is still the main route for East Coast Main Line expresses to Leeds.
The main line ran from Wakefield, the county town of the West Riding of Yorkshire, to Marshgate Junction, just north of Doncaster and the branch from Adwick Junction near Adwick-le-Street and Carcroft to Stainforth Junction, just to the west of the present day Hadfield and Stainforth. There were also three further lines: a triangular junction was created at Adwick, opened in November 1866, which made it possible, should it be required, to run from Doncaster to Grimsby by this route; secondly a line from Hare Park Junction, near Wakefield, to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway near to Wakefield Kirkgate, and lastly a connection to the Midland Railway at Oakenshaw Junction, south of Wakefield.
The main line was opened in February 1866 with intermediate stations at Sandal, Hare Park, Nostell, Hemsworth, South Elmsall and Adwick-le-Street and Carcroft. Since that time halts were opened at Hampole and Bentley Crossing. One station was built on the “branch” line at Bramwith.
New stations at Adwick, Bentley, Sandal and Agbrigg (30 November 1987) and Fitzwilliam (1 March 1982) have been opened as population shift has made these viable. South Elmsall is the only original station but this has been extended and the Doncaster-bound (Up) platform rebuilt.