Monthly Archives: August 2013

Events Around Cannock this September

Events Around Cannock this September

First, on Tuesday 3rd September at Heath Hayes Library:Moseley Old Hall talk poster copyThen, on Wednesday 4th September at Beaudesert Park:

Beaudesert Walk Poster 2013 copyAnd finally for now, on Monday 9th September at Cannock Library:

Itching to Murder fliers Cann-11 copy

A couple of short clips featuring Kent No.2

Chasewater Railway

A couple of short clips featuring Kent No.2

Short video clips and stills from Bank Holiday Monday and Charity Day

251 – Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces – From Chasewater News Summer 2002 – Part 5

251 – ChasewaterRailwayMuseum Bits & Pieces

From Chasewater News

Summer 2002 – Part 5

Diesel 1Diesel 2Ruston & Hornsby DL7. Early days at Chasewater

More Recent Chasewater Railway Museum Activity

More Recent Chasewater Railway Museum Activity

DSCF9007A couple of Thursdays in August have seen Chasewater Railway and the Aston Manor Road Transport Museum put on a joint project including children’s activities at each venue and a train and bus ride. This is one of the buses used.

LMS Horse Drawn VanWe found this picture of an LMS horse-drawn parcels van – very similar to the one owned by Chasewater Railway and currently on loan at Shugborough.

DSCF9038Another item bought by Barry Bull.  A Rhymney Railway Company Coat-of-Arms.  The Rhymney Railway was virtually a single stretch of main line, some fifty miles in length, by which the Rhymney Valley was connected to the docks at Cardiff in the county of Glamorgan, South Wales.

DSCF9030The final item at the moment (27-8-2013) is this life-size fibre-glass model of a pit pony.  It was given to Chasewater Railway Museum by the Museum of Cannock Chase, who are re-designing their mining display, after having been seen offered on the Staffordshire Museums’  Development Officer’s weekly update email.  A couple of quick emails and some phone calls made sure of a good home for the pony! Our thanks to Nick Bullock  for the use of his van.

Some Recent Chasewater Railway Museum Activity

Some Recent Chasewater Railway Museum Activity

Cuneo PrintA ‘Cuneo’ print given to the Museum by Allan Reynolds

Letter scalesA set of scales – 16 x 1 ounce divisions – given by Mike Mason

Rushall SB Dia cropped  Rushall Signal Box Diagram – purchased by our curator, Barry Bull

PlaqueA collection of badges, given to the Museum by two metal detector enthusiasts,  P.Derry and B.Ewins

Two of them are pictured below.

Coronation June 26 1902

1902 Coronation of King Edward VII

Edward was the eldest son of Queen Victoria and ascended the throne on January 22, 1901 upon Victoria‘s death. Born in 1841 he had to wait a long time to succeed to the throne. He married Princess Alexandra of Denmark in 1863 who bore him three sons and three daughters.
The coronation was originally scheduled for
June 26, 1902, but Edward had to undergo an emergency appendectomy operation, so the coronation was postponed until August 9, 1902.

Pelsall Miners Ass Sept 1899Pelsall Miners Association badge, 1899

Hednesford Mining Memorial – Requests for named bricks on Hednesford Mining Memorial must be in by 31st August.

Hednesford Mining Memorial

Requests for named bricks on Hednesford Mining Memorial must be in by 31st August.

2009_07220003

 Nearly 300 requests for named bricks have so far been received by the Committee of CHAPS (Chase Art in Public Spaces) since the most recent phase of the mining memorial in Hednesford was advertised.  The £20.000 memorial has been the focus of considerable attention and interest, both by those who had named bricks included and by many others who have an interest in the mining industry since its dedication at a service led by the Bishop of Manchester in 2012.

DSCF9080

The mining memorial has, as part of its fabric, bricks inscribed with the names of miners and the pit in which they worked.  Further bricks will be laid round the grass areas which surround the clock in front of Anglesey Lodge and will form part of the overall memorial in Market Street which has an 8ft Davy Lamp as its focus.

CHAPS propose that work on the project will commence in October 2013, and the closing date for receipt of completed applications will be August 31st 2013 after which no further requests will be accepted.

Anyone wishing to obtain application forms for named bricks (which cost £20.00 each) should contact Sheila Harding, Secretary of CHAPS by post at 18, Pinfold Lane, Norton Canes, Cannock, WS11 9PH or by email via: ashinnorton@btinternet.com

Requests can include names of underground and above ground workers still living, they are not limited to those persons sadly deceased.

DSCF9064

Some Early Lines – West Riding and Grimsby Railway

Some Early Lines

West Riding and Grimsby Railway

770 Bridge Plate

 Bridge plate from the West Riding & Grimsby Railway, now in Chasewater Railway Museum.

The West Riding and Grimsby Railway was a joint railway whose main line linked Wakefield with Doncaster, while a branch line ran between Adwick and Stainforth. The companies involved were the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway and the Great Northern Railway. The WR&G gave the Great Northern Railway a new direct line to Wakefield from Doncaster on its north-south main line, and onwards to the Woollen District towns and the cities of Leeds, Bradford and Halifax over the tracks of the former West Yorkshire Railway, which it acquired in 1865; while the M.S.& L.R. could offer connections to Grimsby, and its docks, and the seaside resort of Cleethorpes.

The line was inherited by the LNER in 1923, and today is still the main route for East Coast Main Line expresses to Leeds.

HemsworthStnHemsworth Station

Route

The main line ran from Wakefield, the county town of the West Riding of Yorkshire, to Marshgate Junction, just north of Doncaster and the branch from Adwick Junction near Adwick-le-Street and Carcroft to Stainforth Junction, just to the west of the present day Hadfield and Stainforth. There were also three further lines: a triangular junction was created at Adwick, opened in November 1866, which made it possible, should it be required, to run from Doncaster to Grimsby by this route; secondly a line from Hare Park Junction, near Wakefield, to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway near to Wakefield Kirkgate, and lastly a connection to the Midland Railway at Oakenshaw Junction, south of Wakefield.

Opening

The main line was opened in February 1866 with intermediate stations at Sandal, Hare Park, Nostell, Hemsworth, South Elmsall and Adwick-le-Street and Carcroft. Since that time halts were opened at Hampole and Bentley Crossing. One station was built on the “branch” line at Bramwith.

Modern times

New stations at Adwick, Bentley, Sandal and Agbrigg (30 November 1987) and Fitzwilliam (1 March 1982) have been opened as population shift has made these viable. South Elmsall is the only original station but this has been extended and the Doncaster-bound (Up) platform rebuilt.

StainforthStnStainforth Station

 

Some Foreign Lines – The Palace on Wheels

Some Foreign Lines

The Palace on Wheels    

palace-on-wheels-full

www.tradewingstours.com

It stands on its tracks; a gleaming sealed carriage, every bit is royal. The air-conditioning works silently, creating a space where only the excitement of the history of the Rajput kingdoms permeates through, clearly captured in a contemporary mode. In all, there are fourteen saloons, each equipped with four twin-bedded chambers, with attached baths that have running hot and cold water and showers. The modern conveniences have been thoughtfully provided, sofas to sink into, strategically placed lights to read by, wonderfully appointed beds with comfortable furnishings, inbuilt wardrobes for the storage of one’s clothes and bags, and huge plain glass windows to watch the countryside roll past.

11821881-redjumpsuitapparatu2010-633

www.prlog.org 

Outside the bedrooms, each coach also has a seating lounge where passengers can get together, just sit watch the cities as they glide past outside the windows, or enjoy a quiet cup of tea. An attached pantry with each saloon helps provide beverages and refreshments to the accompaniment of soothing piped music.

There is the comfortable bar cum lounge where you can relax over your favourite drink, burrow in a book or converse with fellow passengers. Attached to it are two restaurant cars, Maharaja and Maharani respectively, with opulently draped curtains, exquisitely crafted lights and table settings . Here accompanying chefs serve up a delicious choice of Indian, including Rajasthani, Continental and even Chinese cuisine that are a feast for the palate.

The train chugs out of Safdarjung Railway Station New Delhi on a week-long run through Rajasthan every Wednesday night, with a trip also inbuilt to Agra and the Taj Mahal. Turban-wearing attendants take over from the moment you arrive at the platform, assigning you your coupes and detailing all the facilities that are on board. The train moves by night and arrives each morning at a new destination where new experiences await you.

 Dining Room

amazinghind.wordpress.com

The Palace on Wheels is one of the world’s most exciting rail journeys, as the train provided more facilities on board, as for the royal destinations it proceeds to every single day. With everything taken care of dining accommodation, sightseeing as well as organized shopping, there are nothing for the traveller to do but sleep in the history of the land, soak in the colours and experience the royal life of Maharaja. The tour starts from Delhi and come back to the city after going through in order: Jaipur-Sawai Madhopur-Chittaurgarh-Udaipur-Jaisalmer-Jodhpur-Bharatpur-Agra-Delhi. Welcome aboard. To Head to the best city in the World “Udaipur” (Travel+Leisure) and TAJ a wonder of the world.

http://www.rtdc.in/pow.htm

luxury-train-of-palace-on-wheels

www.palace-on-wheel.com


A new magazine for Cannock Chase!

A new magazine for Cannock Chase!

Issue 1

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era 1911 – Robinson 4-6-2T Great Central Railway

Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era

1911 – Robinson 4-6-2T

Great Central Railway

No. 156 as running when new in 1923No. 156 as running when new in 1923

In 1911 Robinson brought out his splendid 4-6-2Ts, one of the finest designs of express suburban tank engines ever built.  Twenty-one were turned out between 1911 and 1917, and just after the grouping a further 10 appeared new, lettered LNER but with Great Central livery and numbers.  In 1925 a further 13 were built with slight modifications for use in the North Eastern area, the original lot spent most of their time on the GCR London suburban services out of Marylebone until the late 1940s.

All of the above had mainly scattered numbers, the GCR ones being increased by 5000 at the grouping, whereas the North Eastern batch was numbered in the 1700s in the LNER list.  One engine, No. 5447 was scrapped in 1942, but the rest became in 1946 Nos. 9800-29, and (the North Eastern series) 9830-42, all being increased by 60000 on Nationalisation.  Withdrawal began in 1957, and whilst the whole of the final 13 had gone by 1958, a number of the earlier GCR type still remained in 1959, although all had been displaced from the London area for several years.

OriginalGCR engines – Driving wheels – 5’ 7”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 23743 lb.,  Weight – 85 tons 18 cwt,  GCR classification – 9N,  LNER classification – A5.  BR classification – 3MT

LNER 1925 batch – Driving wheels – 5’ 7”,  Cylinders – 20”x 26”,  Pressure – 180 lb.,  Tractive effort – 23743 lb.,  Weight – 90 tons 11 cwt,  GCR classification –,  LNER classification – A5/2.  BR classification – 3MT

Post 25