Some Early Lines
The Wrexham & Minera Railway
View SE, towards Wrexham; ex-Great Western Wrexham – Minera line, junction of ex-London & North Western branch from Mold. The GWR passenger service from Minera (Berwig Halt) was cut back to Coed Poeth in 1/26 and through to Wrexham on 1/1/31; the station was closed on 27/3/50 when the service from Mold ceased. However, Brymbo station remained open for goods until 2/11/64 and the line saw through goods trains until 1/10/82. © Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The Wrexham and Minera Railway or Wrexham and Minera Branch was a railway line in North Wales between the town of Wrexham, the village of Brymbo where it served the Brymbo Steelworks, and the lead mines and limeworks at Minera. A further branch ran from Brymbo to Coed Talon, where it connected with lines to Mold. The system was constructed in several stages between 1844 and 1872, while the various lines making up the system closed in 1952, 1972 and 1982.
View eastwards, towards Wrexham; terminus of GWR branch from Wrexham via Brymbo. Passenger service ceased 1/1/31, but line open for goods until 2/11/64. Note the Fixed Distant signal. © Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
A steam train leaves Minera limeworks. (pic courtesy of R.D.Jones) www.minerahistory.com