Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era
1903 – ‘De Glehn’ Compounds
Great Western Railway
Churchward wished to give compounding a thorough trial against his own simple propulsion engines, and instead of adapting one of his own design, as most other engineers had done, he ordered a replica modified to GWR loading gauge, etc., of the ‘Atlantic’ type which had already proved itself so successful on the Nord Railway of France. It had two outside high-pressure cylinders, driving the rear-coupled axle, and two inside low-pressure cylinders on the leading axle. It could be worked as a simple if desired by admitting live steam direct to all four cylinders. It was built at Belfort, France, and was numbered and named 102 ‘La France’. Two additional and somewhat larger engines were obtained in 1905, Nos103 ‘President’ and 104 ‘Alliance’. These differed from No. 102 in having inside frames to the bogie wheels, ‘La France’ having had them outside. The boilers originally carried were of the parallel-domed type, but all three engines were subsequently modified with standard GWR domeless coned boilers with superheaters. The engines took their place along with standard GWR types on various main line duties, but finished their careers working from Oxford, mainly on stopping trains to Paddington. They were withdrawn between 1926 and 1928.
Driving wheels – 6’ 8½”, Cylinders (2HP) – 14 3/16”x 25 3/16”, (2LP) – 14 3/16”x 25⅝”, Pressure – 227 lb., Tractive effort – 27174 lb., Weight – 71 tons 14 cwt.
These dimensions apply to Nos. 103-4 as originally built. Those of No. 102 were slightly smaller.