Some Early Lines
The Meon Valley Railway
The Meon Valley Railway was a twenty-two-and-a-half-mile line that ran from Butts Junction near Alton to a junction with the old Salisbury branch just north of Fareham. The line was authorized by an Act of 3 June 1897 and opened on 1 June 1903. It was engineered by the L&WR’s Chief Civil Engineer, William Robert Galbraith (1829-1914) and constructed by Relf & Son of Plymouth.
At its northern (Alton) end, it joined with the Mid-Hants Railway to Winchester, the Alton Line to Brookwood and the Basingstoke and Alton Light Railway. At Fareham it linked with the Eastleigh to Fareham Line, the West Coastway Line and the line to Gosport.
Drummond “M-7” Class 0-4-4T No. 30055 at Alton with the last Meon Valley passenger train on 5 February 1955. Image © Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence
Passenger service was withdrawn on 5 February 1955, with goods traffic being withdrawn piecemeal in the early 1960s. http://www.spellerweb.net
One of the innovations of post-war railway enthusiasm has been the running of Society-sponsored special trains, often behind veteran or historic locomotives, over branch lines either closed or about to be closed to passenger traffic. This special train, organised by the Railway Correspondence & Travel Society, heads for London over the Meon Valley line of the old South Western. Both engines are LSWR ‘T9’ 4-4-0s. (E.C.Griffith
On Sunday mornings only the 7.40 am train from Fareham to Woking used to travel over the now defunct Meon Valley line. LSW-built 4-4-0 No. 468 leaves Farnham with three bogies and a van on Sunday 22nd August, 1948. (E.C.Griffith
The daily pick-up goods from Guildford pauses at West Meon as ‘L12’ class 4-4-0 No. 30434 carries out the shunt before moving on to Alton. This was one of the final duties of the last members of their class introduced by Drummond in 1904 as a development of the ‘T9s’. (P.M.Alexander