223 – Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces
From Chasewater News – Spring 1999 part 2
From The Board Room
One of the compounds, No. 5259 ‘King Edward V11’, in 1930, at which time it was carrying the temporary ‘flower pot’ type of chimney of the period, later replaced by a more handsome tapered chimney similar to, but not quite identical with the original GCR pattern.
Concurrently with the two 4-6-0 engines of Class B1, Mr. Robinson commenced building a series of very handsome ‘Atlantics’ for express working on the main line. The first two were Nos. 192 and 194, turned out in 1903, and they were followed between 1904 and 1906 by Nos. 260-7, 358, 360-3 and 1083-94, 27 in all. In addition another four engines, Nos. 258-9 and 364-5 were built in 1905-6 as 3-cylinder compounds on the Smith system, similar to, but not quite identical with the much better known Midland and LMS type. These four were given names.
All had 5000 added to their numbers at the grouping, and all were eventually superheated. No. 1090 was converted to 3-cylinder simple propulsion in 1909, but reverted to two cylinders in 1923. This engine was scrapped in 1939, and was subsequently not included in the 1946 renumbering scheme whereby the simple engines became 2900-25 and the compounds 2895-8. All were scrapped between 1947 and 1950, and none actually carried a 60000 number although a few lasted until early Nationalisation days.
Simple – Driving wheels – 6’ 9”, Cylinders (2) 21”x 26” (originally 19”x 26”), Pressure – 180 lb., Tractive effort – 21658 lb., Weight – 71 tons 18 cwt, GCR classification – 8B and 8J, LNER classification – C4
Compound – Driving wheels – 6’ 9”, Cylinders (1) 19”x 26” (2) 21”x 26”, Pressure – 180 lb., Tractive effort – 21658 lb., Weight – 73 tons 6 cwt, GCR classification – 8D and 8E, LNER classification – C5
Last Sunday, February 17th, the museum was given a framed photograph of what looks like a group of P way workers. The photo is marked: H.W.Davies – Brownhills, but unfortunately we have no real idea of the location, apart from guessing the local sidings, so if anyone has any suggestions as to the whereabouts of the location, we would be very happy to hear from you.
This wagon plate is one of a number of items loaned to the museum by one of our occasional visitors from his private collection, some 19 at the moment. He is pleased with the care taken of his objects, especially since we achieved the Accredited Museum standard. On February 17th he happily agreed to extend the loan on all of his objects for a further two years.
A nice booklet for our reference library, about the Maryport and Carlisle Railway. Of particular interest as we have a 6-wheel coach from the line in the Heritage Centre, donated by the Cannock & Rugeley Colliery Co. Built in 1875.
We have another local history book for our collection, this time about Great Wyrley. This was donated by David Bathurst, and we also have two signs from the old Great Wyrley station.
Lastly for now and biggest, is this 7-lever signal frame from Hemyock station on the Culm Valley Railway, Devon, closed in 1965. It came to Chasewater from the National Railway Museum at York.
A ‘J19’ class 0-6-0 of the Great Southern Railway, once a member of the Midland Great Western family and built by Martin Atock around 1885, waits impatiently at Ballinrobe in more modern times – the summer of 1947. (P.B.Whitehouse collection
The Grouping of the railways of the Republic of Ireland came about in two stages. First, in 1924 the major railways with the exception of the Dublin & South Eastern Railway agreed to amalgamate as the Great Southern Railway Company. In 1925 the Dublin & South Eastern Railway had second thoughts and decided to amalgamate with the others to form Great Southern Railways. The Great Northern Railway, which had lines in Northern Ireland as well as the Irish Republic, was left straddling the border. Irish railways were nationalized as Coras Iompair Éiréann on 1 January 1945. (http://spellerweb.net
The Cork, Bandon & South Coast Railway owned some fine 4-6-0 tanks, built for them by Beyer Peacock. Occasionally the odd one strayed in Great Southern days to the Dublin & South Eastern section, but most were used for goods on the Bandon line until it was closed to all traffic in 1961. This scene is at Drimoleague. (P.B.Whitehouse collection
The tracks of the old Waterford, Limerick & Western and the Sligo, Leitrim & Northern Counties Railway converged at Colooney Junction, just outside Sligo. Here, SLNC railcar B stands outside the shed whilst 0-6-4 tank Hazlewood backs down to shunt the quay at Sligo. In the foreground is new CIE Co-Co diesel-electric No. A33 (J.G Dewing
The Limerick to Galway line met the West Clare Railway at Ennis. The ‘D17’ class 4-4-0s of the Great Southern were delightful engines – they were really a bogie version of McDonnell’s last 2-4-0 express engines and were designed by Aspinall. (Lawrence Marshall
Martin Atock built his ‘G2’ class 2-4-0s between 1893 and 1898 and between them they managed to wander over most of the old Midland Great Western system. Those engines which lasted into CIE days were still to be found in places like Ballinrobe, Westport or Loughrea in the 1950s; here, very dirty and woebegone, No. 664 stands in Loughrea terminus with the mixed for Athenry, on the Athlone – Galway main line. (P.Ransome-Wallis
J.G.Churchward’s 2-8-0 mineral engine of 1903 was the first of its type in the country, and was in many ways well in advance of its time, as it remained the standard Great Western heavy goods type for the rest of that Company’s existence.
The initial engine was at first numbered 97, and after two years trials a further twenty were put in hand, which came out as Nos. 2801-20. Nos. 2821-30 followed in 1907, Nos. 2831-55 between 1911 and 1913, and 2856-83 in 1918-19. The original 97 had by then become No.2800.
All were eventually fitted with superheaters. After a lapse of nineteen years construction was again resumed under Collett’s superintendency, the new engines differing from their predecessors only in the provision of side window cabs and one or two other details. These were Nos. 2884-99, and 3800-66, which were all built between 1938 and 1942. The whole class remained intact until 1958, when No. 2800 was withdrawn.
Driving wheels – 4’ 7½”, Cylinders – (2) 18½”x 30”, Pressure – 225 lb., Tractive effort – 35380 lb., Weight – 75 tons 10 cwt (2800-2883), 76 tons 5 cwt (2884 series)
The Garfield-Clarendon Model Railroad Club is currently housed in the Clarendon Park Community Center of the Chicago Park District. The Club occupies a 1300-square foot room at the Center, most of which is taken up by the Club’s Garfield Central Railroad, a fictitious Appalachian coal-hauler modeled in HO scale and loosely set during the latter part of the 20th century.
The Garfield-Clarendon Model Railroad Club, Inc. is registered by the State of Illinois as a non-profit corporation whose goals are:
A. To provide members with the opportunity for model railroad building and operations.
B. To provide members with aide and instruction in model railroad building.
C. To provide education to our members, school children and the general public in the historical significance of railroads in the development of our country through the display and operation of railroad models.
D. To research, compile, and preserve through models, photos and artifacts a historical record of railroading for the benefit of our members and the general public.
E. To develop through research and experiments new or improved ways of building and operating model railroads.
F. To disseminate the results of research, experiments and their practical application to model railroaders.
The current Garfield Central is the fifth railroad built by the Garfield-Clarendon Model Railroad Club since its founding in 1947. Three layouts were built in the Garfield Park Fieldhouse before the Chicago Park District moved the Club to Clarendon Park in 1963–hence the name Garfield-Clarendon. The fourth layout, housed in another part of the Clarendon Park building, was scrapped when the fieldhouse was remodeled in 1972-1973. The current Garfield Central, begun in 1974, is among the nation’s largest model railroads.