Some Early Lines
Perth and Fife Lines
Once the Scottish compounds had been displaced from main line duties many of them were relegated to easier branch lines, though with their 6’ 9” driving wheels they could scarcely be considered ideal engines for this class of work. 1924-built No. 40939 with reduced boiler mountings nears Collessie with the evening train from Ladybank to Perth. (W.J.V.Anderson
In 1924 many of the best Scottish expresses were being handled by the new ‘D11 2’ 4-4-0 type, which was a GC ‘Director’ modified to suit the Scottish loading gauge; all carried names painted on the splashers. No. 62677 Edie Ochiltree nears Lumphinnans Junction on the 5.45pm Thornton to Dunfermline train on 8th August, 1959. (W.J.V.Anderson
Somehow the BR lined black livery seemed to suit the Pickerskill 4-4-0s of the ex-Caledonian Railway. No. 54476, one of the older Pickerskill engines, introduced in 1916, makes her way from Crieff to Gleneagles with the evening train. (W.J.V.Anderson
An alternative southern route between Perth and Dundee. It was used by the North British Railway; the more direct route north of the Tay belonged to the rival Caledonian Railway. Much of the trackbed has gone now, returned to farmland, but this cutting is still pretty obvious. © Copyright Richard Webb and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.