Some Early Lines
Glasgow and South Western Railway
Locale: Scotland Dates of operation: 1850–1923 Predecessor: Glasgow, Paisley Kilmarnock and Ayr and Glasgow, Dumfries and Carlisle Railways Successor: London, Midland and Scottish Railway Track gauge: 4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) (standard gauge) Length: 1,128 miles (1,815 km) Headquarters: Glasgow
‘Crab’ No.42879 crosses the graceful Dalrymple viadust on the Ayr – Dalmellington branch with empty wagons for the mines at Waterside. (Derek Cross
The Glasgow and South Western Railway (G&SWR) was a railway company in Scotland. It served a triangular area of south-west Scotland between Glasgow, Stranraer and Carlisle. It took its name after a merger in 1850. In the 1923 grouping of Britain’s railways the G&SWR became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.
Class 2P 4-4-0 No.40647 passes the site of Greenen Station, on the Ayr-Dunure-Girvan line in September, 1952, hauling an Ayr-Heads of Ayr train. Passenger services were withdrawn before the war but freight, mostly early potato traffic, continued up till 1951, when the line was closed completely beyond Heads of Ayr and the track lifted. The remaining section was relaid with heavier rail and remained in use to serve Butlin’s Camp. (Derek Cross
The main line ran from Glasgow along the west coast and to Gretna. The G&SWR also served Paisley, Greenock, Ardrossan, Troon and the ports on the west coast, between which it ran scheduled steamship services. It also owned the harbours at Troon and Ayr. Its headquarters were at Glasgow St Enoch station and its main locomotive works was at Kilmarnock. In 1921 the G&SWR had 1,128 miles (1,815 km) of line and the company’s capital was about £19 million.
One-time Caledonian Railway 0-4-4 tank (then LMS No.15236) leaves Lugton with the 6.40pm train for Beith on the Caledonian and Glasgow & South Western Joint Line. (W.A.Camwell
The G&SWR, in association with the Midland Railway, provided a third Anglo-Scottish rail route, the first two being the West Coast and East Coast main lines. It was as a result of involvement with the Midland that the design of Glasgow St Enoch station was heavily influenced by London St Pancras.
In 1949 Midland 4-4-0s were still in charge of G&SW branches. Two trains stand in Holehouse Junction on 18th June; that on the left from Ayr to Dalmellington behind Class 2 4-4-0 No.40647; and that on the right, with compound 4-4-0 No.41132, from Dalmellington to Rankinston, Annbabk and Ayr. (W.A.Camwell
South West Scotland is very reminiscent of Northern Ireland, and Class 2 4-4-0 No.40609, still with Midland-type chimney, standing in Dalmellington station could easily be a Northern Counties Committee ‘Castle’ class 4-4-0. It is the 18th June, 1949. (W.A.Camwell