Some Early Lines
Waveney Valley Line
Date 2 May 2009 (original upload date)
Source Transferred from en.wikipedia; transferred to Commons by User:Kafuffle using CommonsHelper. Author Openstreetmap and contributors. Original uploader was PeterEastern at en.wikipedia
The Waveney Valley Line was a branch line running from Tivetshall in Norfolk to Beccles in Suffolk connecting the Great Eastern Main Line at Tivetshall with the East Suffolk Line at Beccles. It provided services to Norwich, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Ipswich and many other smaller towns in Suffolk with additional services to London. It was named after the River Waveney which follows a similar route.
Date 12 July 2005 Source From geograph.org.uk Author Ron Strutt Permission Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0
The line was authorised by the Waveney Valley Railway Act on 3 July 1851. The line opened in stages, firstly from Tivetshall to Harleston on 1 December 1855, then to Bungay on 2 November 1860, and finally to Beccles. When the line was completed it was incorporated into the Great Eastern Railway. The line then became part of the LNER on 1 January 1923.The Waveney Valley Line – Pulham Market Station
This view was taken in south-easterly direction, looking along the station platform and the dismantled trackbed of the line. The station building can be seen in mid-distance.
Originally the platform had a length of 99 feet (30 metres). It was extended by 30 feet in 1885 and lengthened again in 1892. The Waveney Valley Line ran from a junction with the London to Norwich mainline at Tivetshall > Link – Link servicing the market towns of Harleston,, Bungay and Beccles, where it connected with the East Suffolk line to Yarmouth. The line was opened between 1855 and 1863 but its first stations (Starston > Link and Redenhall) were closed as early as 1866. The passenger service was eventually withdrawn in 1953. Freight services were but back in 1960 and in 1966 the line was closed. Part of its route – between Harleston and Broome – has since been taken over by the realigned A143 road. © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Starston and Redenhall stations were closed in 1866, only 11 years after the line opened.
The line was closed to passenger services on 5 January 1953. With the last passenger train from Tivetshall junction to Beccles pulled by Class F3 2-4-2 tank locomotive No 67128.
A Light Railway Order was obtained in November 1954, after which there were some special services run by railway enthusiasts.
From 1960 the line was split into sections – Tivetshall to Harleston and Beccles to Bungay.
The lines were finally closed from 19 April 1966 during the Beeching Axe and the track eventually removed. Some of the last wagon loads to leave Ditchingham were sand and gravel from Broome Heath, used in the construction of Hammersmith fly-over in west London.
In the early 1980s, many of the remaining old buildings, including stations and goods yards, were demolished to make way for a new road.
Here the line passed a crossing cottage . © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.