Some Early Lines
Blenheim and Woodstock Branch Line
The Blenheim and Woodstock Branch Line was a 4 miles (6.4 km) long railway branch line that ran from Kidlington railway station along the Cherwell Valley Line north to Shipton-on-Cherwell where the line branched off west past Shipton-on-Cherwell Halt towards Woodstock.
Constructed by the 7th Duke of Marlborough, the line opened in 1874 and was privately run until 1897 when it became part of the Great Western Railway. In 1929, a halt was added to the line at Shipton-on-Cherwell primarily to serve the Oxford and Shipton Cement Company limestone quarry and cement works. The number of trains serving the station was cut in the late 1930s, and again in 1952 down to only six trains a day. These cuts in the frequency of trains along the Woodstock branch line produced two-hour waits at Kidlington for a connection. British Railways closed the branch line in early 1952 with the last train adorned with a wreath. The track was lifted in 1958.GWR 517 Class on a mixed train. In 1898 No. 1473 was named Fair Rosamund, to work a royal train on the Oxford-Woodstock branch. The engine was the usual one for the Woodstock branch in subsequent years.
(9 October 2010 (original upload date)) Source Transferred from en.wikipedia; transferred to Commons by User:Oxyman using CommonsHelper. (Original text : old print) Author unknown. Original uploader was 8474tim at en.wikipedia Permission (Reusing this file) This image is in the public domain due to its age.
Blenheim & Woodstock Station (remains) View SW, towards buffer-stops; terminus of ex-GWR branch from Kidlington, closed compleletely 1/3/54 – so quite well-preserved after 7 years, but a dump for old cars and farm equipment!
Date 24 March 1961 Source From geograph.org.uk Author Ben Brooksbank Permission (Reusing this file) Creative Commons Attribution Share-alike license 2.0