Steam Locomotives of a More Leisurely Era
1896 Jones ‘Loch’ Class
This was David Jones’ final design for the Highland, and was introduced to replace some of his earlier 4-4-0s on the main line between Inverness and Perth. Fifteen were built in 1896 by Dubs & Co., Nos.119-33, and all named after Scottish lochs. That it was a very successful design is shown by the fact that 21 years later, in 1917, when there was an acute engine shortage on the Highland, three more of the class were hurriedly built, recourse being had to this type rather than to Peter Drummond’s later designs. The new engines were Nos.70-2, also named after lochs, and at the grouping the class became LMS Nos.14379-96, all retaining their names. From 1925 onwards several were rebuilt with larger boilers of Caledonian Railway Dunalastair IV type, but this modification does not seem to have been very successful, and the engines became very heavy on coal. Withdrawal took place from 1930 onwards, the last survivor being No.14385 Loch Tay, scrapped in 1950. It never bore its allocated BR No.54385. No.14390 Loch Fannich retained its early LMS red livery until withdrawn in 1937, one of the last of the smaller LMS classes to do so, as after 1928 it was only applied to the principal main line engines.
As built – Driving wheels – 6’ 3½”, Cylinders – 19”x 24”, Pressure – 175 lb., Weight – 47 tons, LMS classification – 2
As rebuilt – Driving wheels – 6’ 3½”, Cylinders – 19”x 24”, Pressure – 180 lb., Weight – 54½ tons, LMS classification – 2
The Loch class 4-4-0s of 1896�1917 had a very high power/weight ratio. They were among several classes carrying the louvered chimney. When No 14393 Loch Laoghal was photographed it was owned by the LMS Northern Division. http://www.douglas-self.com