Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era
1888 – Holmes 0-6-0 North British Railway
This was Matthew Holmes’ standard freight engine built for the North British Railway from 1888 to 1900, during which period 168 of the class were built, mostly at Cowlairs, but there were fifteen from Neilson’s and another fifteen from Sharp Stewart & Co. 25 of the class were sent overseas during the First World War, and on their return were given suitable commemorative names, such as Ole Bill, Verdun, Ypres, and so on, which in most cases they carried for the rest of their existence, notwithstanding the extreme rarity of goods engines in this country carrying names, at any rate since very early days.
Scrapping of the class commenced in 1926. Previous to 1946 their numbers were somewhat scattered, but in that year those then remaining were renumbered by the LNER into one series as 5210-5346. At Nationalisation in 1948 these became 65210-65346, and about eighty of them still remained in traffic in 1959.
Driving wheels – 5’ 0”, Cylinders – 18¼”x 26”, Pressure – 165 lb., Tractive effort – 19690 lb., Weight – 42 tons, NBR classification – C, LNER classification – J36, BR classification – 2F.
A well-restored steam locomotive at Bo’ness Station on the Bo’ness and Kinneil Railway. Number 673 “Maude” was built in Glasgow in 1891 for the North British Railway Company. © Copyright Ron Hann and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.