One from the Engine Shed
A member of the Chasewater Railway Museum Staff brought the latest magazine from the Cambrian Heritage Railways for others to have a look at, and there, on the cover, was an old friend of the Chasewater Railway. Any readers of Chasewater Railway Museum Bits & Pieces will recognise it. It left Chasewater for Titley Junction, and has now moved on again.
A New Operating Set for Llynclys
Since operations started at Llynclys in 2005, operations have mainly been operated by a DMU set (apart from the occasional forays with steam). For the 2012 season the DMU services will be supplemented with a formation comprising a diesel shunter, a passenger carriage and a brake van.
Diesel Shunter 11517
On Friday 30th September 2011 a new locomotive arrival was to be seen at Llynclys. The loco is a vacuum fitted 0-4-0 diesel electric shunter (dual fitted with air brakes), built by Ruston & Hornsby. The 165 hp Ruston diesel engine powers a single traction engine located under the cab. The electrics were all supplied by Allied Electrical Industries (AEI). Although it has a works number of 458641, it now masquerades with the fictional BR number of 11517.
It’s in need of a good clean and repaint on the outside but the cab interior is in excellent condition. We need to source new fuel filters for the engine and Richard Boughton (our CME) is looking into this for us. Thanks to all those who have helped with this latest arrival, it represents another step in the right direction. As they say “the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step”.
A Previous Repaint
It was quite a coincidence that the magazine should turn up this week (Tuesday April 17th) as one of the Chasewater members instrumental in the previous repaint was Helen Borton (nee Dean) who was at Chasewater this past weekend with the Chasewater Transport Show!
It needed it!!
From the ‘Chasewater Railway News’ – Summer 2002, Editor: Helen Dean
The repaint began on Good Friday of this year. Our initial idea was to give the loco a quick sanding and a lick of paint just to brighten it up. Therefore we all thought it would be finished within a week. HOW WRONG WE WERE! After a long talk between ourselves we decided to strip the loco down to bare metal, however, we did not anticipate just how long it would take. We first started stripping the paint by using a needle gun, which turned out to be very time-consuming. It took us four days just to strip one side of the loco back to the metal. Therefore we decided to change our tactics. We found that a blowlamp and scraper was a much better method. After another two days (six days in total) the stripping was complete and we were ready for the first coat of primer. We brush painted three coats of the grey primer onto the metal and sanded between coats. We then began brush painting the black undercoat and the finish we achieved was fantastic. Three coats of the black undercoat were applied and we were then ready for the top coat. After all of the hard work we had done we hit a big problem – we could not get the brush marks to disappear from he top coat and we began to panic.
Luckily, one of our working members, Mark Sealey, very kindly offered to spray the top coat on for us. Mark sprayed two coats of the top coat on and you could see your face in the paintwork when it was dry. Mark also very kindly obtained the British Rail lion and wheel transfers for the sides and the BR numbers for the cab. These were fixed along with fabulous new nameplates and brand new headlights for the front and back (courtesy of Les Emery). At last, after 25 days the job was complete.