Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era
The engine as running in 1930, after receiving LMS red livery.
This engine was constructed by Neilson & Co. in 1886 for the Edinburgh exhibition, at the termination of which it was taken over by the Caledonian Railway. Although designed primarily by the makers, Dugald Drummond, then locomotive superintendent of the Caledonian Railway, evidently had a hand in it, as it embodied certain of his characteristic features, such as the cab and boiler mountings. It took part in the 1888 Race to Scotland between the West and East Coast routes, when it ran between Carlisle and Edinburgh with a load of four coaches, maintaining a daily average time of 107¾ minutes for the 100¾ miles. This included the ascent of Beattock Bank, nine miles of continuous climbing between 1 in 74 and 1 in 88, preceded by a further three miles of 1 in 202. For a number of years after the First World War it was used only for hauling the Directors’ saloon, but in the early 1930s it was again put into ordinary traffic on local trains between Perth and Dundee, by which time it had also received a new boiler, with Ramsbottom safety valves over the firebox instead of mounted in the dome. It was withdrawn from service in 1935 and restored to its Caledonian blue livery for preservation, with its original number 123. This latter had been subsequently altered to 1123, and whilst in service with the LMS it was No.14010. The engine has recently (1959) been put into working order again for use with enthusiasts’ specials.
Driving wheels – 7’ 0”, Bogie wheels – 3’ 6”, Trailing wheels – 4’ 6”, Cylinders – 18”x 26”, Pressure – 160 lb., Tractive effort – 12286 lb., Weight – 41 tons 7 cwt. Caledonian Railway no 123 at Glasgow’s transport museum. Date 9 July 2007, 11:11:15 Source originally posted to Flickr as Royal portrait Author Les Chatfield Permission (Reusing this file) This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license.