Some Early Lines
The Launceston Steam Railway
A train pulled by the steam locomotives “Velinheli” and “Lilian” enters Launceston Station on the Launceston Steam Railway, England.
Date 2006-06-03 (original upload date) Source Transferred from en.wikipedia; Transfer was stated to be made by User:oxyman. Author Original uploader was Chicken pie at en.wikipedia Permission (Reusing this file) This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Generic license.
The Launceston Steam Railway is narrow gauge railway operating from the town of Launceston in Cornwall. The railway is built on the trackbed of the North Cornwall Railway to the gauge of 1 ft 11 1⁄2 in (597 mm) and runs for 2½ miles to Newmills, where there is a farm park.
Standard gauge railway
The first railway to reach Launceston was the Launceston and South Devon Railway, opened in 1865 from Launceston to Plymouth, and later absorbed into the Great Western Railway. In 1886 the London and South Western Railway opened its railway from Halwill Junction, extended to Padstow in stages in the 1890s, and later part of the Southern Railway. The two Launceston stations were side by side: the Great Western closed in 1962 and the Southern in 1966.Launceston Railway Station, Cornwall
The station is on the narrow gauge Launceston Steam Railway. © Copyright nick macneill and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Narrow gauge revival
In 1965, trainee teacher Nigel Bowman rescued the steam locomotive “Lilian” from the Penrhyn Slate Quarry in North Wales, and restored her to working order at his home in Surrey. He then set about looking for a site to build a railway for Lilian to run on, and settled on Launceston in 1971, after considering a stretch of trackbed from Guildford to Horsham and the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway. Purchase of the trackbed took several years, and the first ½ mile of track opened on Boxing Day 1983. The railway was extended progressively, the latest opening to Newmills in 1995 bringing the line to its current 2½ mile length.Steam Engine at Launceston
Taken at the Launceston end of the short railway line. The engine is steaming up before setting off down the track. © Copyright Mick Heraty and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
The LSR starts at a new station just west of the original LSWR station, which is now an industrial estate. Launceston station is the main station on the railway, and the sheds and engineering facilities are located here. The line runs from the station through a cutting, passing under a road bridge and aqueduct carrying a mill leat, before crossing the River Kensey on a two-arch viaduct. The line is now on an embankment and crosses a bridge over a farm track before arriving at Hunt’s Crossing, where it is planned to lay a passing loop. After Hunt’s Crossing the line crosses two farm crossings and then reaches Canna Park which was the temporary terminus before the extension to Newmills. From Canna Park there is a fairly short run to Newmills, the terminus. Adjacent to the Newmills station is the Newmills Farm Park.
End of the short railway line from Launceston to Newmills, steam engine waiting at the platform. © Copyright Mick Heraty and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.