Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era
1885 Mersey Railway 0-6-4T
Cecil Raikes as last running in 1952. The stove-pipe chimney was a later addition, but it will be noted that the condensing pipes still remain, although they would not have been in use for nearly fifty years.
A class of nine large tank engines built for the underground railway between Liverpool and Birkenhead, which was opened in January 1886. A powerful design was needed to work trains of 150 tons over a 1 in 27 and 1 in 30 gradients, and the 21”x 26” cylinders with which these engines were provided were at the time the largest in the country. In view of the tunnel work, condensing apparatus was provided.
Locomotive No.5 ‘Cecil Raikes’ – Museum Of Liverpool
When the line was electrified in 1904 they were no longer required and were sold out of service. Three were disposed of to the Alexandra Docks, and later became GWR engines; these were scrapped in the 1920s. Four went to Australia, where at least one lasted until 1950. The remaining two were acquired by the Shipley Collieries, Nottinghamshire, formerly Mersey Railway Nos.5 and 8; they retained their names, Cecil Raikes and Birkenhead under their new owners. The latter was broken up in 1925, but Cecil Raikes remained in service until 1954. Since that time it has been stored at Derby with a view to preservation.
Description Mersey Railway 0-6-4T No.5 “Cecil Raikes” at Steamport Southport in 1988 Date 30 May 1988
Source Own work Author RuthAS Permission (Reusing this file) Own photograph. This file is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported license.