Steam Locos of a Leisurely Era
1883 T.W.Worsdell J15 0-6-0
A standard class of general purpose engines introduced by T.W.Worsdell in 1883 and constructed at intervals over a long period, the last example coming out in 1913. In all 289 of them were built, numbered 37-40, 119-24, 507-71, 592-600, 609-49, 680-99, 801-934, and 936-45. No. 930 made history by being erected at Stratford in 9¾ working hours, in December 1891.
One or two were scrapped from 1920 onwards, but the majority came into the hands of the LNER and had 7000 added to their numbers. Under the 1946 scheme the surviving engines were renumbered 5350-5479, and many of these acquired the addition of 60000 after Nationalisation in 1948.
The class has for several decades been an essential feature of the Great Eastern scene in the eastern counties, and they were to be found on all classes of work. As recently as 1958 they could be seen working cross-country passenger trains in the Cambridge and Colchester areas. Their low pitched boilers and long chimneys gave them a more ancient appearance than the later ones, at any rate, actually warranted. 42 of them served overseas during the First World War. About thirty still remained in service towards the end of 1959.
Driving wheels – 4’ 11”, Cylinders – 17½”x 24”, Pressure – 160 lb., Tractive effort – 16940 lb., Weight – 37 tons 2 cwt.River Avill Bridge. Great Eastern Railway Y14 / LNER Class J15 0-6-0 No. 65462 with demonstration freight train. The River Avill passes under the West Somerset Railway by way of this modest two arch structure.
28 March 2004 From geograph.org.uk Steve Edge Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved] © Copyright Steve Edge and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.